PDA

View Full Version : Change outbound caller ID name?

brhalltx
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Is is possible to change the name that shows up on outbound caller ID?

Xponder1
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Is is possible to change the name that shows up on outbound caller ID?

Would make a nice control panel option. Of course I can see it being abused too. HMM...

usa2k
05-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Not if it needed manual approval and/or was only allowed to change once each month. And maybe a max of 6 times a year.

brhalltx
05-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Not if it needed manual approval and/or was only allowed to change once each month. And maybe a max of 6 times a year.

That would work just fine.

Xponder1
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
That would work just fine.

That is a lot of manual approval's

usa2k
05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
That is a lot of manual approval's
On DSLReports we can have 20 Avatars. Each new uploaded Avatar needs approval by a moderator.

RIGHT NOW ON DSLR: 22144054 posts. 281 boards. 529 online, 634 guests

DSLR seems to handle it fine. I think their membership is over 1 Million.

ptrowski
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM
When I was with VT you could have the outgoing CID changed for a nominal fee ($1.99 or something like that). Mine went from Ptrowski,Doh to "The Ptrowskis".

tritch
05-04-2009, 10:04 AM
I doubt you will ever see this feature. There's too much potiential for abuse without it being closely monitored. Everything from profanity to offensive language would be left wide open for abuse. I'm sure Voipo would not like to be in the position of legal liability. I suppose this could be supported on a very infrequent basis, but only by opening a support ticket.

usa2k
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
http://www.webpurify.com/

For Drupal http://drupal.org/search/apachesolr_search/wordfilter?filters=type:project_project

Xponder1
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.webpurify.com/

For Drupal http://drupal.org/search/apachesolr_search/wordfilter?filters=type:project_project

That is a joke. I can not believe people would pay for something like that It would not take what a small part of the day and a post on the forums to create a profanity database? Wordpress has that function built in it already you just have to add the profane words.

I would be more worried about people using names like Bank of America

voipinit
05-04-2009, 01:53 PM
As I recall, Packet8 allows it from their CP. Not a big deal to me though.

brhalltx
05-04-2009, 07:31 PM
I see that there are new (to me, anyway) options in VPanel under Features/Preferences/ATA: "Display Name Line 1" and "Display Name Line 2." Support says they're for changing the caller ID name on numbers supplied by VoIPo... Doesn't seem to have any effect for me (on a number supplied by VoIPo), in the short term (15 minutes after setting these, it made no difference), anyway.

usa2k
05-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Very cool, we talk, they listen, and then some :)

usa2k
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Doesn't seem to have any effect for me.
Not sure how long it would take for the name to propagate. Especially if the phone with CNAM uses a different LIDB service?

brhalltx
05-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Not sure how long it would take for the name to propagate. Especially if the phone with CNAM uses a different LIDB service?

I really didn't expect it to be instantaneous; I suppose it could take days...

Xponder1
05-04-2009, 10:32 PM
I really didn't expect it to be instantaneous; I suppose it could take days...

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1403

1-2 weeks

usa2k
05-05-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22343520-Re-VOIPo-Cool-beta-enhancement-to-test

Calling cloned line to cloned line, did not show my changes.
(Even though the name field is only VOIPo to VOIPo.)

Xponder1
05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I logged in today and for some odd reason the feature "block caller id" was enabled-strict.

I do not recall seeing a strict option before and I never set that. So I think when it was added it defaulted to enabled-strict. I would recommend at least a few of you check yours.

brhalltx
05-06-2009, 04:49 PM
I logged in today and for some odd reason the feature "block caller id" was enabled-strict.

I do not recall seeing a strict option before and I never set that. So I think when it was added it defaulted to enabled-strict. I would recommend at least a few of you check yours.

I noticed that too, and turned it off as a guess. That could have been my problem with calls to Vonage not going through...

Xponder1
05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I noticed that too, and turned it off as a guess. That could have been my problem with calls to Vonage not going through...

I submitted a ticket. If we both had the issue then support needs to be aware of it.

EDIT- Noticed audio gain defaulted to low too. Support is looking in to it.

Russell
05-06-2009, 07:26 PM
What's the difference between "Enabled" and "Enabled - strict"?

Xponder1
05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
What's the difference between "Enabled" and "Enabled - strict"?

I wondered the same thing.

usa2k
05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I just turned mine off too.

TimW
05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I see that there are new (to me, anyway) options in VPanel under Features/Preferences/ATA: "Display Name Line 1" and "Display Name Line 2." Support says they're for changing the caller ID name on numbers supplied by VoIPo... Doesn't seem to have any effect for me (on a number supplied by VoIPo), in the short term (15 minutes after setting these, it made no difference), anyway.

I looked under Features>Preferences>Advanced>ATA Preferences, but I cannot find anything like the above. All I have is:

- Audio
- Stun (whatever that is)
- Volume level
- Volume amplification
- DTMF method

Am I missing something?

Montano
05-21-2009, 04:30 PM
I think it was removed as I don't see it either.

VOIPoTim
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
The Display Name was removed because it was causing too much confusion. It wasn't clear what it was for and ssers thought it was to set the name that will show up on Caller ID on outbound calls. That was only the case for calls within the VOIPo network.

We can't transmit a name out to show up on Caller ID outside of our network. In most areas, we can store a name in the Caller ID databases that providers use to look it up, but we can't send a name with it.

Right now the internal VOIPo network calls will show First and Last name for the account and support can change it if needed.

As for the Caller ID name when calling other networks, you can contact support to have that stored in the name database. We're able to do this for most accounts, but it does depend on your area.

It's just confusing and caused a lot of support questions, so we opted to remove it.

Montano
05-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Tim, can you define the 'internal network' ? Because my Express line has never shown my name when calling my Residential line. Aside from the OB CNAM issues I'm having.