PDA

View Full Version : No busy tone on VOIPo

Xponder1
05-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I was unaware of this until today and I want to share it with you all in case your also unaware of this issue.

Today my wife tried calling a local number. All she gets is dead air. She tried twice. The third time it worked. I submitted a ticket to let support know and this was the response I received.

There are no network or server related issues.

The dead air could imply that the callee was busy on a call and that they dont have call waiting.
Currently there is no busy signal on our end, meaning you'd just get dead air and then it will finally end (this is actively being worked on).

So if the number is busy per support your just going to get dead air. I wish I had known this months ago because every time this happens I submit a ticket so they can look in to it.
Every time it has happened I have tried other numbers and they work. Usually the response from support is there was some network issue and its resolve now. This is a first.

Tim you need to communicate this to the customers lol.

dswartz
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
this behavior seems totally broken, IMO. no-one coming from the pots world would expect this.

Xponder1
05-11-2009, 11:52 AM
this behavior seems totally broken, IMO. no-one coming from the pots world would expect this.

Ya thats why I posted it here. Every customer should be told this. I can not imagine how many support tickets have been directly related to this. I mean its great they are working to resolve it but this is kind of important.

VOIPoTim
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
This reason wasn't accurate.

There is a bug where we're not responding to some response codes correctly generating a busy, but it's definitely not ALL cases where the line should be busy.

We're working to isolate the specific scenarios that causes it so we can adjust and generate a busy for them.

See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1297&highlight=offhook for some info. It's the same issue (we just suppressed the goodbye error since it was confusing).

Regardless, it's a pretty quick fix and I'm not sure why it hasn't been done already. I'll have someone do some more testing with all the possible scenarios and fix it this week.

Russell
05-11-2009, 12:53 PM

I'm glad I read this thread. I experienced dead air yesterday. Called back after about 20+ seconds when I concluded nothing was going to happen and it connected fine. I would agree - this needs to be fixed and nice to note that Tim's comment that it'll be done this week. Tim, please post back when this happens.

Xponder1
05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
This reason wasn't accurate.

There is a bug where we're not responding to some response codes correctly generating a busy, but it's definitely not ALL cases where the line should be busy.

We're working to isolate the specific scenarios that causes it so we can adjust and generate a busy for them.

See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1297&highlight=offhook for some info. It's the same issue (we just suppressed the goodbye error since it was confusing).

Regardless, it's a pretty quick fix and I'm not sure why it hasn't been done already. I'll have someone do some more testing with all the possible scenarios and fix it this week.

Thank you for the update Tim. I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I remember getting that good-bye message. That was confusing but silence is just as confusing lol.

Xponder1
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Tim I wanted to let you know I just tested this and this was the results.

I have a pots line with no features (no call waiting ect). I took the pots line off the hook and called the number. Dead silence. When I was done hung up both lines and the pots line rang once.

So this made me try again. This time I repeated the process but waited for 30+ seconds of silence then hung up only the pots line. It almost (about a 3 second delay) immediately started ringing. Answered it and they call was there.

So it seems its not giving a busy tone because its trying none stop to complete the call. You may already be aware of this but again I just wanted to share.

Edit- Repeated test again same results.

VOIPoBrandon
05-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey guys -- this should now be resolved, please do let me know if otherwise, thanks!

Xponder1
05-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey guys -- this should now be resolved, please do let me know if otherwise, thanks!

Did the same test and it does now give a busy tone. It actually gives one then changes to another and then another lol.

Thanks for taking care of that!

VOIPoBrandon
05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Great -- glad to hear it is working for you. That Busy Tone you are hearing is the normal PAP2T response to Busy signal:

480@-19,620@-19;10(.5/.5/1+2).

Again, if anyone else has issues with this please do let me know, thanks!

Russell
05-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Great -- glad to hear it is working for you. That Busy Tone you are hearing is the normal PAP2T response to Busy signal:

480@-19,620@-19;10(.5/.5/1+2).

Again, if anyone else has issues with this please do let me know, thanks!

My child just reported similar symptoms. I think it's the call at 19:02 EDT in my call logs if that'll help.

VOIPoBrandon
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
My child just reported similar symptoms. I think it's the call at 19:02 EDT in my call logs if that'll help.

I took a look at the call from that time, it does look like PSTN responding with 183 Session Progress, i.e. Ringing/Ringback followed by a 200 OK (call answered). What was the report, just complete silence on the call or, how would you best describe it, thanks!
________
Maryjane (http://maryjanes.info/)

burris
05-11-2009, 06:26 PM
I took a look at the call from that time, it does look like PSTN responding with 183 Session Progress, i.e. Ringing/Ringback followed by a 200 OK (call answered). What was the report, just complete silence on the call or, how would you best describe it, thanks!

Hi, Brandon....

Coincidently, the same problem just showed up here..
Calling from my 305 number to 954-458-xxxx 3 times starting at 7:47pm tonight.
Found out their number was disconnected.

VOIPo line goes nowhere....no intercept...nothing...dead air.
Cell call to same number gets intercept..call cannot be connected...etc.

The busy tone is set up the way you described in a previous post..

VOIPoTim
05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi, Brandon....

Coincidently, the same problem just showed up here..
Calling from my 305 number to 954-458-xxxx 3 times starting at 7:47pm tonight.
Found out their number was disconnected.

VOIPo line goes nowhere....no intercept...nothing...dead air.
Cell call to same number gets intercept..call cannot be connected...etc.

The busy tone is set up the way you described in a previous post..

So the busy signal is working fine for you, but the disconnected message you should get isn't?

burris
05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
VOIPo call to the disconnected line gets nothing...dead air...no busy-no message.

Cell call to same line gets intercept that call cannot be connected.

Russell
05-11-2009, 07:04 PM
I asked my child - total silence is the report. I know I experienced one other today. And, in both cases working numbers, so I suspect they were either busy or there was some other issue connecting to them. Does the busy signal solution need to be propagated to all servers?

frankd1
05-11-2009, 09:16 PM
FWIW, I think you're talking about the same issue I posted about last week:

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1413

It'll be nice to have the issue addressed.

VOIPoBrandon
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I asked my child - total silence is the report. I know I experienced one other today. And, in both cases working numbers, so I suspect they were either busy or there was some other issue connecting to them. Does the busy signal solution need to be propagated to all servers?

Russell,

The busy changes are live and well -- it may be a classic case of one way audio / no audio at all. I do see the call connecting in that call example, perhaps if you guys could get a hold of the callee and ask them if there phone is ringing at their endpoint during that call? If it would be possible to setup a date / time for me to grab a network trace -- please shoot me a PM so we can arrange to do so and look into this further.

Also as for the normal / circuits busy / number disconnected, I will post back in regards to this shortly, thanks!

Russell
05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Russell,

The busy changes are live and well -- it may be a classic case of one way audio / no audio at all. I do see the call connecting in that call example, perhaps if you guys could get a hold of the callee and ask them if there phone is ringing at their endpoint during that call? If it would be possible to setup a date / time for me to grab a network trace -- please shoot me a PM so we can arrange to do so and look into this further.

Also as for the normal / circuits busy / number disconnected, I will post back in regards to this shortly, thanks!

Brandon, the callee was a child's baby-sitting client, so it's not possible for me to quiz them as to what happened.

If you have a plain old POTS number at VOIPo (which doesn't default to voicemail or have call-waiting) for me to call, I can try calling that. I presume I can first call using line 1 and then call using line 2 and get a busy signal. Let me know if this is an option for me to try.

I had a tree down over the weekend and was at home yesterday making calls to tree contractors. And, they would call me back ... at least a couple of calls when I picked up the phone I would hear nothing. I'd hang up and a few minutes later the phone would ring again and this time all would be well. Does this follow any classic case (no audio / one way audio)? Thought I'd mention this in case this is related to the no-busy signal being discussed.

VOIPoTim
05-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I had a tree down over the weekend and was at home yesterday making calls to tree contractors. And, they would call me back ... at least a couple of calls when I picked up the phone I would hear nothing. I'd hang up and a few minutes later the phone would ring again and this time all would be well. Does this follow any classic case (no audio / one way audio)? Thought I'd mention this in case this is related to the no-busy signal being discussed.

Do you have all the audio ports forwarded (35000-65000)? It sounds like maybe some port ranges aren't getting through to you and on the 2nd attempt when on a different port it is. If not, I'd recommend trying that to see if it clears this up for you.

Russell
05-12-2009, 09:26 PM
Do you have all the audio ports forwarded (35000-65000)? It sounds like maybe some port ranges aren't getting through to you and on the 2nd attempt when on a different port it is. If not, I'd recommend trying that to see if it clears this up for you.

No, I have no ports forwarded. I've never had to port forward in the past (with ViaTalk using a PAP2T or SunRocket before ViaTalk) and I have a definite preference not to have to port forward. Surely, if it was an issue with port forwarding, I would have noticed this before?

VOIPoTim
05-12-2009, 09:41 PM
No, I have no ports forwarded. I've never had to port forward in the past (with ViaTalk using a PAP2T or SunRocket before ViaTalk) and I have a definite preference not to have to port forward. Surely, if it was an issue with port forwarding, I would have noticed this before?

Support can do some traces to look into it more, but it's possible that the port ranges you're running into have shifted some since we've grown and maybe that's why they're not getting through. Again, no way to know without watching it happen, but 99% of the time the dead air issues are resolved with port forwarding and disabling any ALG so it sounds pretty close.

voipinit
05-13-2009, 03:44 AM
Russell, you also might try enabling UPnP support on your router, if it's not already.

sr98user
05-13-2009, 05:28 AM

I had similar issues yesterday around 11.15am. On incoming call, when I pick up Line1, no audio, Line2 keeps ringing, after few seconds, my cell phone (network down number) rings.. After hanging up everything, my cell phone would ring again after few minutes. I pickup the call, and its dead air. Caller said they heard no rings, only silence.

On outgoing call to my cell phone, I had one way audio to my cell phone. After hanging up, my cell phone would ring after few minutes.. Again I pick up the call and its dead air.

I updated my router's firmware about a day back. Everything was working well until 11am yesterday. During the time I was having problems, I did not have any dropped packets, NAT entries were still there. Not sure what happened. But I went back to my old firmware and everything has been fine. But I still can't explain what happened during that time... Could be the firmware. But it was running fine for close to a day and no dropped packets or NAT entry problems.

Russell
05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Support can do some traces to look into it more, but it's possible that the port ranges you're running into have shifted some since we've grown and maybe that's why they're not getting through. Again, no way to know without watching it happen, but 99% of the time the dead air issues are resolved with port forwarding and disabling any ALG so it sounds pretty close.

If port ranges have shifted since I joined, it would explain the behavior. Essentially my setup is as follows: wireless router connected to the cable modem. VOIPo PAP2T connected to the wireless router. I also have an old Vonage RT31P2 connected to the wireless router (I have Gizmo5 and Freedigits - voip service - configured on the RTP31P2). Before my port from ViaTalk was complete, the ViaTalk PAP2T was also connected to the wireless router. And, they all happily co-existed. Of course, now that I'm ported there's no ViaTalk PAP2T and so there's one device less in the mix. The wireless router is an older 3-Com Router that has no ALG ability. uPNP is not enabled - I could enable it if it's felt that that would solve the problem. I have another PAP2T in my toolbox and really would like the ability to connect multiple ATA's behind the wireless router. When I had ViaTalk and the above setup, at one point I had the toolbox PAP2T connected with AOL's now defunct free service and Future Nine (I still have an account with them).

quattrohead
05-13-2009, 06:10 AM
I also had this issue yesterday, in my case it seemed that the line was dead but finally the ring tone started and the call was picked up and completed.
Nothing hardware changed on my end for a while now.