PDA

View Full Version : Calls completing but no audio

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
I have received two calls from the same number and both times it was just dead air. I called from my cell phone and it was dead air on both ends.

Anyone else reading having a issue? I submitted a ticket HKF-954310

I called out from the phone and that was fine so it is only affecting inbound calls.

Russell
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
We use our phone very little - no one is home during the day M-F. I noticed the issues with dead air on Monday when I took the day off and had to call tree companies. And, my child complained the same day when she dialed and couldn't hear anything. I hate to ask family members if they're having issues with the phone - I then get accused (from previous experience when a different provider was having technical issues) of going with a "cheap phone company". And, it's not said as a compliment to my thriftiness.

GPM
05-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I had exactly the same problem yesterday afternoon. After much testing, temporarily connecting the ATA directly to the DSL modem, re-connecting and re-booting router, changing servers it suddenly started working again. Ultimately nothing was changed in my set up. Last correspondence indicated that it probably was due to the outage reported yesterday.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 11:29 AM
I had exactly the same problem yesterday afternoon. After much testing, temporarily connecting the ATA directly to the DSL modem, re-connecting and re-booting router, changing servers it suddenly started working again. Ultimately nothing was changed in my set up. Last correspondence indicated that it probably was due to the outage reported yesterday.

Ya well I am still without service. They have made test calls. Nothing has changed at all about my setup. They suggested that running X-Lite might be the cause so I shut it down and still have the issue. Funny thing is I CAN hear audio IF I answer with X-Lite. The ATA has no audio on inbound calls only. Oh and I have already done the usual reboot the router ATA ect. What ever is wrong its not on my end.

I see you have an XLite client currently registered on our system.
It has been registered around 45 minutes. Did the call come in when Xlite was registered/signed-on? If so, I believe that XLite may have been the culprit.

So I shut down X-Lite and the problem remained.

We've noticed a ring abnormalcy but nothing really shot out to us when reviewing your SIP traces.
What I'll do is escalate your ticket over to our Seniors where the issue will be more thoroughly looked into. You can expect a followup shortly.

Guess we will see what happens.
In case you support folks need it.

Tracing route to central01.voipwelcome.com [67.228.251.106]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Access_Denied [192.168.10.1]
2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.33.128.1
3 14 ms 9 ms 9 ms COX-68-12-8-157-static.coxinet.net [68.12.8.157]

4 10 ms 7 ms 8 ms ge-7-0-1-mx02.mtc1.tul.ok.cox.net [68.12.18.246]

5 70 ms 9 ms 8 ms xe-0-3-0-dsr02.rd.tul.ok.cox.net [68.12.18.4]
6 42 ms 28 ms 23 ms dalsbbrj01-ae0.r2.dl.cox.net [68.1.0.142]
7 20 ms 32 ms 16 ms po-1.r02.dllstx09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.1
54]
8 22 ms 16 ms 17 ms te2-1.cer02.dal01.dallas-datacenter.com [157.238
.224.70]
9 16 ms 15 ms 15 ms po1.dar02.dal01.dallas-datacenter.com [66.228.11
8.203]
10 16 ms 40 ms 17 ms po2.fcr04.dal01.dallas-datacenter.com [66.228.11
8.218]
11 17 ms 17 ms 18 ms central01.voipwelcome.com [67.228.251.106]

Trace complete.

Kind of feel helpless because I have no idea what to do to help resolve it.

EDIT- After 30 seconds it goes to a sound that sounds like a pots line left off the hook.
Also because of this thread http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?p=11976#post11976 I turned off simul ring and still have the issue.

burris
05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
My last caller-maybe 1 1/2 hours ago- had to call 3 times before I could hear them to continue the call..

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 11:50 AM
My last caller-maybe 1 1/2 hours ago- had to call 3 times before I could hear them to continue the call..

That is exactly what I have been waiting to hear thank you.

sr98user
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I had similar problems yesterday around 11.15am and posted this in a different thread.

I just tested incoming and outgoing. Both are fine here.

VOIPoTim
05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
We've had a handful of reports about this and are double checking some things. Still not many reports, but a few so we are going to take a closer look. If you're experiencing it, please make sure you have in a ticket and stand by for an update today.

VOIPoTim
05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Xponder1 (http://forums.voipo.com/member.php?u=2288) - Can you PM an alternate contact number? We haven't been able to reproduce this issue here today with our test setups and want to get a trace of what is happening since it's chronic for you.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Xponder1 (http://forums.voipo.com/member.php?u=2288) - Can you PM an alternate contact number? We haven't been able to reproduce this issue here today with our test setups and want to get a trace of what is happening since it's chronic for you.

PM sent. Thank you Tim.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Mystery solved

Do not put a "&" in line display.
Working again. Thanks Brandon.

Would of never in a million years thought of that LOL.
I changed the line display yesterday at some point so best guess when the change took affect my line took a nose dive.

dswartz
05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
You're kidding, I hope! Putting a "bad character" in the line display on vpanel keeps your calls from completing? WTH??? Sounds like some script somewhere is not sanitizing the input properly :(

VOIPoTim
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
You're kidding, I hope! Putting a "bad character" in the line display on vpanel keeps your calls from completing? WTH??? Sounds like some script somewhere is not sanitizing the input properly :(

This turned out to be a case of the PAP2 not liking the characters. We didn't imagine it wouldn't accept characters.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Brandon said he would be doing something about it today so that does not happen.

The call went pretty much like
Brandon "I see you have a & in your line display let me just clear that out.
Ok now reboot your ATA. OK let me make a test call."

It worked....
*sigh* I am just glad it is working again.

frankd1
05-13-2009, 01:05 PM
A couple days ago, I had problem with calling two specific #s. I heard dead air, repeatedly called with no success, then the other party finally called me back asking if I needed help (calls were connecting and caller ID showing). I called support twice, and they changed the routing for those specific exchanges, which seemed to fix the problem. I understand and agree w/ Tim's strategy of limiting discussion of technical specifics, so the following is strictly me matching two disparate pieces of info and assuming they're related, but since Tim mentioned the big shift to bandwidth.com, I assumed my problem was related to shifting routes from level3 to bw.com, since I had no problem calling the #s before when level3 was the big kahuna. I readily and freely acknowledge I probably don't know what the frak I'm talking about.

usa2k
05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
So the line#1/line#2 name feature is gone from ATA Preferences now.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
This turned out to be a case of the PAP2 not liking the characters. We didn't imagine it wouldn't accept characters.

Thank you for your help Tim. Stuff happens. Perhaps others will read this and remember they used a "&" too. It's hard to link Vpanel issues with a ATA issue at least in my brain. :p

Then again I think I asked you the other day if its possible that Vpanel going down could cause a temporary outage because my line dropped the moment "The Planet" dropped off the planet. I actually enjoy helping get stuff fixed.

Have a great day.

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
So the line#1/line#2 name feature is gone from ATA Preferences now.

Just refreshed and can confirm that is the case. I would imagine it was taken out until a fix can be put in place. Probably very easy to just reset everyone to null to fix the problems and then resolve the issue.

dswartz
05-13-2009, 01:11 PM

Oh, ick. Well, better there than in your servers :)

VOIPoBrandon
05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey guys -- I've seen this come up a few times now where an invalid character "according" to PAP2 was put inside of the line display name, what is odd though is that these characters generally would be 100% fine, that is if the PAP2 was properly sending them to our SIP proxies "escaped". For the time being we have "disabled" this ability for everyone -- to prevent further adverse action and support inquiries regarding this, however shortly here you will be given the ability to alter it again, which we will handle from a server-side stand point, which will also mean that it will update 100% dynamically and not involve the PAP2 (thus rending the change instantly), in which case you guys will also be able to put in your common symbols without any problems.

Thanks guys!

voxabox
05-13-2009, 01:24 PM
IIRC,
the linksys ATAs have a setting that enables 'escaping' the display name
"Escape Display Name" - how appropriate;)
don't know if the grandstream ones have the same feature
Interesting, not escaping the display name causes audio problem

VOIPoTim
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I know our Tier II team has been working with you guys individually. Is anyone here still seeing an issue with this?

GPM
05-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Although my symptoms were exactly the same, the cause was most likely not. I say that because I have no idea what a 'line display' is. The day before I started having no audio on answered calls I had two calls do something I'd never seen happen before.

The phone rang, two rings and I answered it, dead air. I hung up, it rang again and the call completed fine. Caller said they called only once, the phone rang at least eight times before I answered.

That said, everything seems to be working fine today.

Russell
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Since Tim asks if anyone else is having issues and I don't believe I saw a follow-up to Burris' issue, can I assume that it's fixed? Since I experienced something similar a couple of days ago, I'm most curious as to how Burris' issue was resolved.

burris
05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Since Tim asks if anyone else is having issues and I don't believe I saw a follow-up to Burris' issue, can I assume that it's fixed? Since I experienced something similar a couple of days ago, I'm most curious as to how Burris' issue was resolved.

Mine only happened the 3 times (that I am aware of)just before noon today.

Dylan said he would look into it. I mentioned that if the issue had not been raised in the forum, I would have totally ignored it. I am aware and understand the fleeting problems with any VOIP service and accept the occasional burp. Unless my service is completely down, I don't get too excited. If a feature has a problem, I can wait until it's fixed as I use only a handful of basics.
I think that many of my trouble reports are to make support aware of a problem that may be brewing. Most of the time it's nothing worth wasting bandwidth on.

scott2020
05-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Although my symptoms were exactly the same, the cause was most likely not. I say that because I have no idea what a 'line display' is. The day before I started having no audio on answered calls I had two calls do something I'd never seen happen before.

The phone rang, two rings and I answered it, dead air. I hung up, it rang again and the call completed fine. Caller said they called only once, the phone rang at least eight times before I answered.

That said, everything seems to be working fine today.

I noticed something like this, where I would call my VOIPo one time and it would just go to dead air. The line rang and my wife answered but also had dead air. Then the phone rang probably 4-5 more times even though I wasn't dialling anymore. Something kept retrying over and over. I saw it on my Asterisk box with a message saying "Too Many Hops from" and the central01 IP address.

Russell
05-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Mine only happened the 3 times (that I am aware of)just before noon today.

Dylan said he would look into it. I mentioned that if the issue had not been raised in the forum, I would have totally ignored it. I am aware and understand the fleeting problems with any VOIP service and accept the occasional burp. Unless my service is completely down, I don't get too excited. If a feature has a problem, I can wait until it's fixed as I use only a handful of basics.
I think that many of my trouble reports are to make support aware of a problem that may be brewing. Most of the time it's nothing worth wasting bandwidth on.

I think it's good to raise even the little burps in the forum. Until I saw the other posts I was seriously pondering Tim's suggestion about port forwarding, even though my router has been flawless with the PAP2T from ViaTalk and (until these glitches) the VOIPo PAP2T. Seeing that several others are having the issue seems to point that the issue is not at my end. It's also beneficial to the provider - if just one person reports it the inclination would be to "blame" the customer's setup and if the cause is elsewhere such "blame" only causes frustration both to the support person trying to help and the customer.

scott2020
05-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Here is my log file from when I have had trouble with incoming calls.

[2009-05-13 14:50:04] VERBOSE[2911] logger.c: -- Incoming call: Got SIP response 483 "Too Many Hops" back from 67.228.251.106
[2009-05-13 15:04:34] NOTICE[2911] chan_sip.c: Peer 'VOIPoIn' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 37
[2009-05-13 15:04:34] NOTICE[2911] chan_sip.c: Peer 'VOIPo' is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 48
[2009-05-13 15:04:44] NOTICE[2911] chan_sip.c: Peer 'VOIPoIn' is now Reachable. (37ms / 2000ms)
[2009-05-13 15:04:44] NOTICE[2911] chan_sip.c: Peer 'VOIPo' is now Reachable. (38ms / 2000ms)

VOIPoBrandon
05-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey guys -- if anyone else is experiencing any further incoming issues, please ensure that you have a ticket in as we are not seeing any new reports and want to make sure anyone that had seen these characteristics, their account is looked into, thanks!

tapetum
05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Just entered a ticket on my line.

GPM
05-20-2009, 02:40 PM
I've hesitated to post here since up until yesterday my problem was being worked on.

It seems that is no longer the case. I've had three separate tickets opened on this issue, the latest being EEZ-978027. I was told that a network trace was being set up two days ago, and to notify support if the problem happened again. When it did, I was asked to run a tracert the next time it occurred. When it happened again yesterday morning I ran the tracert as requested. I have heard nothing back even though I've sent three emails asking for an update on the problem.

What occurs is that an incoming call will ring, I answer the call and either get dead air, a fast busy signal, or a dial tone. The caller will hear either dead air, or a message that the number is no longer in service. If the caller attempts to redial my number, the call normally completes successfully on the third attempt.

With the Grandstream ATA I experienced the re-registration problems and it was replaced by the PAP2T. With the Grandstream in front of my Netgear router I never had an incoming call problem. I've asked if I should replace my router wondering if it could be the problem. So far, I've received no reply. I really would like to get this service working dependably.

Russell
05-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I've hesitated to post here since up until yesterday my problem was being worked on.

It seems that is no longer the case. I've had three separate tickets opened on this issue, the latest being EEZ-978027. I was told that a network trace was being set up two days ago, and to notify support if the problem happened again. When it did, I was asked to run a tracert the next time it occurred. When it happened again yesterday morning I ran the tracert as requested. I have heard nothing back even though I've sent three emails asking for an update on the problem.

What occurs is that an incoming call will ring, I answer the call and either get dead air, a fast busy signal, or a dial tone. The caller will hear either dead air, or a message that the number is no longer in service. If the caller attempts to redial my number, the call normally completes successfully on the third attempt.

With the Grandstream ATA I experienced the re-registration problems and it was replaced by the PAP2T. With the Grandstream in front of my Netgear router I never had an incoming call problem. I've asked if I should replace my router wondering if it could be the problem. So far, I've received no reply. I really would like to get this service working dependably.

Have you considered putting the PAP2T in the DMZ of the router? If all works well in the DMZ it would be (I'm sure) very enlightening.

VOIPoTim
05-20-2009, 02:53 PM

We have had some cases lately where some reps bumped things to Tier II without port forwarding, etc being done so Tier II bumps it back. We're working on streamlining this so that nothing at all gets to Tier II without a checklist being completed of common things such as port forwarding, DMZ, etc.

If Tier II can't find any system issues or things wrong with the account (which is what the ticket says right now), it's likely just the router not allowing the connections through.

I'll see what I can find for you.

GPM
05-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Have you considered putting the PAP2T in the DMZ of the router? If all works well in the DMZ it would be (I'm sure) very enlightening.

I tried that briefly and had one call fail with the same symptoms. I have had the ports forwarded as requested since the problem first occurred. I will move it back into the DMZ and leave it there for awhile.

If the problem is the Netgear router, I'm fine with replacing it. Since the ATA is a Linksys device I was thinking of getting a Linksys router. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VOIPoTim
05-20-2009, 03:01 PM
I tried that briefly and had one call fail with the same symptoms. I have had the ports forwarded as requested since the problem first occurred. I will move it back into the DMZ and leave it there for awhile.

If the problem is the Netgear router, I'm fine with replacing it. Since the ATA is a Linksys device I was thinking of getting a Linksys router. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One really quick thing you could do is connect the device directly to your modem. Be sure to reboot the modem and then the device too.

Obviously you can't leave it like that forever, but by doing this you can test it to see if your issue goes away and confirm that it's the router.

GPM
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
I tried that during one of the trouble shooting sessions with one of your technicians. A couple of test calls completed just fine.

But, since this problem doesn't happen with all calls, I don't know how to tell if the removing the router really fixed the issue. And, as you note, I can't leave it there indefinitely.

sr98user
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
GPM,

A friend of mine had problems with the old Netgear router. I think it was WGR 624. Even when we turned off the firewall, it would not work. He finally got a newer Netgear router.

You could try the new setting "Use VOIPo Network for Audio" to send the data through VOIPo network always. This will fix the audio problems if the the router is the problem.

GPM
05-20-2009, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Brandon called and has been working on the problem. Who says whining doesn't work?

It appears the problem is 'upstream' and Brandon has submitted a ticket to correct. Not being anywhere near as fluent in this stuff as most of you, I really have no idea what 'upstream' is, but if it fixes my problem, great.

Also, thanks to Brandon for jumping on the problem.