PDA

View Full Version : FCC-To-Shorten-Landline-Port-Window

Xponder1
05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Thought this might make some people happy.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/FCC-To-Shorten-Landline-Port-Window-102427

VOIPoJustin
05-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Here's to actually seeing this enforced by the FCC!

Quite frequently losing carriers double (or more) the current '4 day' rule with very little _real_ repercussions. Part of the current 'problem' is that most of the common land-line porting practices involve the cooperative resources of numerous loosely related parties; many of which are still doing things in antiquated fashion (pencil and paper, manual data entry, etc).

Moving land-line porting practices and regulations to more closely resemble their cellular children will be great for VoIP in general, as it will significantly reduce the hassle that is transferring a phone number!

bwyatt
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I submitted requests to port two landlines to Voipo on 8/25/09. One number was with another VOIP service and the other was with a traditional carrier.

Day 7 - Losing VOIP carrier responds and confirms transfer date to be 9/8/09, 14 days from date of request.

Day 9 - Traditional carrier denies request because of a feature (ring mate) that was on the line. I had to call them and have it removed so that Voipo could reinstate the request. When I called the traditional carrier they gave me a confirmation number for the removal of the feature, but said it would take 28 hours for it to be done. Can you imagine changing a setting in your Vpanel and having to wait 28 hours for it to take? They also wanted to know why I was changing and would I consider a new plan with them. I declined.