PDA

View Full Version : ATA Preferences

dbmaven
05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
One question, one comment.

Question: what happened to the Line 1 and Line 2 caller ID settings that were there last week ?

Comment/feedback:
When I try to change the Audio Gain RX value, I select from the dropdown. That's fine. (see first image)
When I click "SAVE", the values in Rx and Tx "flip". If I go to another part of the panel (Call History) and go back to ATA prefs, the 'flipped' situation has been saved. (See 2nd Image).

In effect, I have to press "SAVE" twice for the values to be in the proper location.

Using FireFox 3.0.10 on Vista x64

VOIPoTim
05-19-2009, 08:34 PM
This was pushed out a little prematurely and we removed the Display Options. They will likely be added back in, but we need to clairfy what all these things do before making them fully available.

People assumed the Display Name meant changing their Outgoing CNAM info when it was really only for internal calls on network.

All these options will get some more info and clarification over the next day or so. We have a whole batch of things we're announcing this week.

VOIPoTim
05-19-2009, 11:50 PM
OK, we've clarified all of these options now and cleaned things up.

Here are the new options you'll find.

Features Tab - Block Caller ID

Send My Caller ID Info

Mark My Calls as Private (Sends a Privacy Flag; Industry Standard)

Do Not Send Any Caller ID Info (Some VoIP providers choose to ignore standard and still pass the CID info even with the privacy flag. This option simply strips it and does not pass valid CID info out in the header at all.)

Features - Preferences - Advanced: Audio Control

Connect Audio Directly (Standard Now - Audio is Between You and the Remote Media Gateways)

Use VOIPo Network for Audio (Your Audio is Proxied Through VOIPo Media Gateways in Dallas or Washington DC)

Features - Preferences - Advanced: Volume Control

Volume Level (What You Hear): Choose Level

Volume Amplification (What Other Parties Hear): Choose Level

As far as the display name, we've removed that. It's just what's provisioned in the ATA for on network calls. Once a call leaves the VOIPo network that is ignored anyway and the Caller ID name is looked up in a CNAM database, so it was kind of a limited use feature anyway. LOTS of people were thinking it would update their CNAM info so we decided to remove it. If someone needs to change their name for on-network calls, just let us know and we'll change it, but by default it's going to just be populated with the first and last name of the account holder.

Let us know what you guys think about these. vPanel's layout/navigation will be changing soon. We're running out of room with it now since there are so many features and the menus are kind of cluttered as a result.

burris
05-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Tim..

I understand all the items, but what is the purpose of the advanced audio control choice?
I assume I am on the default route and my audio is absolutely perfect, so what could I achieve by changing the audio routing? How does this option make things better for some...what was the problem that generated this choice?

KenH
05-20-2009, 04:51 AM
Tim,

Could you please divulge what gateway is used for the "Connect Audio Directly" setting? I would like to try it on my ATA. (Is it sip.voipwelcome.com?)

Thanks.

dbmaven
05-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks Tim.

I'll check on it later.

frankd1
05-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Features - Preferences - Advanced: Audio Control

Connect Audio Directly (Standard Now - Audio is Between You and the Remote Media Gateways)

Use VOIPo Network for Audio (Your Audio is Proxied Through VOIPo Media Gateways in Dallas or Washington DC)

Tim-

A few months back, a bunch of us had you change our audio proxying to go through VOIPo to improve audio quality. Are those changes still in effect, or have they reverted to going directly to the RMG with this new feature rollout? If we previously experienced better audio quality back then with the change of RDP proxying through VOIPo, has there been any change (datacenter move, bandwidth.com, etc) that you'd expect a signigicant improvement going directly to the RMG than before these changes? I understand everyone's MMV, and many people never had any issues going directly through the RMG in the first place.

Frank

sr98user
05-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Tim,

Could you please divulge what gateway is used for the "Connect Audio Directly" setting? I would like to try it on my ATA. (Is it sip.voipwelcome.com?)

Thanks.

This option would connect to the media gateway that is not in the VOIPo network. Depending on the area code and exchange it could be any node on the internet.

"Use VOIPo Network for Audio" will use the media gateway on the VOIPo network. I am not sure if it is the same IP as the SIP server. If not probably on the same network.

sommerfeld
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
I understand all the items, but what is the purpose of the advanced audio control choice?
I assume I am on the default route and my audio is absolutely perfect, so what could I achieve by changing the audio routing? How does this option make things better for some...

The internet is not uniform in quality of service; different paths are built differently and carry different levels of traffic.

Quality voice wants to see low-variance, low-delay paths.

it's possible that the path from A to V and the path from V to C will do better or worse than the path directly from A to C; this vpanel setting lets you choose between going direct to C and going via V.

If you have consistent voice quality problems on your calls it would be worth changing the setting to see if it makes things better or worse but if it's working for you one way, I'd leave it alone.

wthart
05-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Hmm.. I don't have an advanced tab under preferences. Has it been rolled out to everyone?

Thanks!

VOIPoTim
05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Hmm.. I don't have an advanced tab under preferences. Has it been rolled out to everyone?

Thanks!

I just had it re-pushed to all residential users. Is it there now?

burris
05-21-2009, 03:01 PM
It's there now....

wthart
05-21-2009, 03:52 PM
I just had it re-pushed to all residential users. Is it there now?

Yes, got it now Tim!

Thanks.