PDA

View Full Version : cloned line misfeature: double caller id.

sommerfeld
05-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I have the Linksys TA attached to a Uniden dual-line cordless phone system. This works very well with the cloned line feature except in one way: caller id.

Since both lines ring and both get caller id from a single call, you get two caller id records in the phone for most incoming calls. It would be nice if the cloned line feature worked a little differently so that only line 1 would ring if line 1 was not in use (the common case at least in this household). Any way this can be fixed?

burris
05-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Mine works this way and actually I prefer it.

I have a single line 6 phone satellite system plus another system with only 2 phones hooked up for line 2. These 2 phones are situated so that when both lines ring, either phone can be accessed and of course, either phone not in use can call out as well.

Since the cloned feature has only one number, I don't know how they could do it any differently than they do now. For me, I can then go to either phone and call a stored CID.

sommerfeld
05-24-2009, 08:41 AM
the behavior should be selectable via vpanel; when all your phones are hooked up to both lines you don't need 2 copies of every caller id.

usa2k
05-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Perhaps, but what if Line 1 is in use and line 2 rings without CID?
Sound like you might prefer a Hunt Group with CID, rather than a Ring Group.
Cloned line Hunt Group would be a good baby step!

Another vPanel useful option they hopefully will implement.
That would need unique IDs for the URI, to make them more selective.

burris
05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
the behavior should be selectable via vpanel; when all your phones are hooked up to both lines you don't need 2 copies of every caller id.

I don't understand why you see this as 2 copies of every CID.

Isn't it actually sending just one CID to each line?

Russell
05-24-2009, 10:09 AM

I have a single line 6 phone satellite system plus another system with only 2 phones hooked up for line 2. These 2 phones are situated so that when both lines ring, either phone can be accessed and of course, either phone not in use can call out as well.

Since the cloned feature has only one number, I don't know how they could do it any differently than they do now. For me, I can then go to either phone and call a stored CID.

I'm with Burris on this one.

Since most homes have at least two pairs I feed both line1 and line 2 into the home wiring. I have a few line1_line2_line1+2 adapters (from my HPNA days when I used line 2 for HPNA - there are available for a couple of bucks) so each room can have one or two phones depending on the need. One child's room just uses line 2 (cheap phone with caller-id) so when a call comes in the child can look at it and pick up the phone if needed and still leave line 1 (the primary line) open in all rooms. So, I definitely don't want line 2 not to have caller-id - naturally, I'm not opposed to it being optional but that's Tim's call.

burris
05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm with Burris on this one.

Since most homes have at least two pairs I feed both line1 and line 2 into the home wiring. I have a few line1_line2_line1+2 adapters (from my HPNA days when I used line 2 for HPNA -

WOW! You just brought back the memories of using HPNA as my home Lan.

I still have the boards, somewhere in my stash, and had to use them many years ago before wireless became usable in my Hi Rise apartment...surrounded by steel and such. That, together with ICS(yuch!) and W98 rebooting every hour was where it was at the time. Lantastic also worked for me..

And now we complain about the most trivial things..;)

Russell
05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
WOW! You just brought back the memories of using HPNA as my home Lan.

I still have the boards, somewhere in my stash, and had to use them many years ago before wireless became usable in my Hi Rise apartment...surrounded by steel and such. That, together with ICS(yuch!) and W98 rebooting every hour was where it was at the time. Lantastic also worked for me..

And now we complain about the most trivial things..;)

Yes, I started down the HPNA route in the dialup days using ICS. Even though HPNA was supposed to be compatible with regular phone service, from a security standpoint I decided to use Line 2 for my HPNA network and disconnected Line 2 at the outside box. Was a big moment when both computers could be on the net at the same time! Continued using it with broadband too - with two kids' rooms having connectivity via HPNA. Yes, I have assorted hardware lying around. You wouldn't by any chance have a spare bridge, would you?

burris
05-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Yes, I started down the HPNA route in the dialup days using ICS. Even though HPNA was supposed to be compatible with regular phone service, from a security standpoint I decided to use Line 2 for my HPNA network and disconnected Line 2 at the outside box. Was a big moment when both computers could be on the net at the same time! Continued using it with broadband too - with two kids' rooms having connectivity via HPNA. Yes, I have assorted hardware lying around. You wouldn't by any chance have a spare bridge, would you?

I don't think I have ever had a use for a bridge. Sorry..

voipinit
05-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I can't agree with you on this one. I like the way it works now, sorry.

sommerfeld
05-25-2009, 08:59 AM

Both lines are connected to a 2-line cordless base station with a bunch of handsets (which are all 2-line capable) so all phones see and store both CID entries.

I realize the current behavior works well for some people but it doesn't work well for me. An option in vpanel would be in order. Maybe a hunt group rather than simultaneous ring would be the way to do it.

burris
05-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Both lines are connected to a 2-line cordless base station with a bunch of handsets (which are all 2-line capable) so all phones see and store both CID entries.

I know you have a problem with this, but whether you have single line phones, as I have, or 2-line phones, as you have, so long as both lines on the clone feature are active and online, and without some major re-engineering, I don't see how it could work any differently than it does now.

ptrowski
05-26-2009, 08:21 AM

My Unidens do the same thing. Since it is technically a second line, it shows the CID from line 1 and line 2, hence the two copies.

Russell
05-26-2009, 08:44 AM
My Unidens do the same thing. Since it is technically a second line, it shows the CID from line 1 and line 2, hence the two copies.

My four line phone does the same thing. However, it identifies the lines - so I see line 1 - caller id, and line 2 - caller id (same caller id in both cases) along with the time stamp of each call. Since the call came in on both lines, I've always considered this the reasonable thing to do (besides the fact that in other rooms only one of the lines may have a phone attached).

caseydoug
06-02-2009, 09:38 AM
I have the same problem as Sommerfeld. I have a Siemens 2-line cordless system with a base station and several handsets. The problem is that the space on the handset display is simply not large enough to hold both name and number for two lines when they are ringing simultaneously. As a consequence, I get very little useful CID information from either line, particularly where the call comes in without a unique name field.

For example, a call coming in on line 1 only might normally display as:

Cell Phone California
510-123-4567

With both lines active, the call displays as:

Cell Phone California
Cell Phone California

The number is properly recorded in the phone's CID log. The problem is just with the display.

I understand that this may be difficult to fix from VOIPo's end. I'm wondering whether anyone can suggest a workaround. For example, if I set up the Contacts list, would the name field display with the name I used in that list? That would at least give me information for some of the calls. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Russell
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I sympathize with you for having a "buggy" product :-). Perhaps the solution is for VOIPo to have an option not to ring both lines at the same time - iirc, my former provider had that option.

Yes, if you have custom caller id, that should show up for the name - should be simple for you to test. Create one for your cell phone number and then call your voipo number.

caseydoug
06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I sympathize with you for having a "buggy" product :-). Perhaps the solution is for VOIPo to have an option not to ring both lines at the same time - iirc, my former provider had that option.

Or perhaps an option not to ring both lines at the same time IF the calling number is the same. I just realized that my phone system also has a directory feature that stores and displays custom names.

It's mostly a problem with cell phones, since they often do not include names. Unfortunately, everyone seems to be moving to cell phones these days. :(

Russell
06-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Or perhaps an option not to ring both lines at the same time IF the calling number is the same.:(

Wouldn't the calling number always be the same ... I'm confused. I see the smiley - so I guess you want an option never to ring both lines. Correct?

fisamo
06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Can you ask voipo to provision your 2nd line with CID disabled? (Set CID Serv to "NO")

caseydoug
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Wouldn't the calling number always be the same ... I'm confused. I see the smiley - so I guess you want an option never to ring both lines. Correct?No, I was thinking about a call coming in on line 2 while line 1 is in use. I do want to ring both lines, because that's the whole point of having a cloned line. If I am on line 1 and get a second (different) call, I would like to see the CID information, even if it is just name with no number.

Edit: I do wish there were an easier way to populate the Contacts list, e.g., add from call logs, import from csv, etc. I don't relish adding all those names and numbers manually.

caseydoug
06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
FWIW, I found a work-around for the problem of CID not displaying properly on my two-line phone. I use a device called a Ring Selector by Aastra to direct the calls to the appropriate line based on the ring pattern. Calls to my primary number (standard ring) are directed to line 1 on my phone, whereas calls to the virtual number (distinctive ring) are directed to line 2. When I do that, CID displays properly for both lines.

This setup means that a second call to either number goes to voicemail rather than to the other phone line. This loses some functionality, but we prefer it this way (we don't like or use call waiting either).