PDA

View Full Version : A More Secure VoIP Service?

ferdowsi
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Does VoIPo have any plans of providing a more secure voice transmission?

Tnx.

usa2k
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Is there really a marketplace for the trouble of doing that?

burris
05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I think some of us are becoming quite paranoid.

As I surf around with no special credentials, I have virtually no problem in finding out things I don't even want to know about people I hardly know..:rolleyes:

ferdowsi
05-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Marketplace? Maybe not for Harry and Harriet homeowner.
Paranoid? If I were simply making calls to friends and family I might agree.
===
I'm an amateur when it comes to VoIP but I have a fairly good understanding of IP and my needs might be a little different than usa2k & burris'. Perhaps beyond the scope of VoIPo's mission.

The frames I’m seeing with a protocol analyzer shows my VoIPo connection uses MD5 during the SIP REGISTER and nothing for the media stream.

I’m looking for a provider which encrypts media streams and uses more robust method during the SIP REGISTER than MD5. Something which doesn’t send a uname in plain text.

I’m sure this type of service would accommodate the average person though. However, my needs are a bit greater. Issue such as- toll fraud, phone-based social engineering, identity theft and message tampering to make a few. Making financial transactions over an insecure RTP connection is not an option for me. Nor would some of the conversations in conference calls.

I do not use 2.4, 5.8 or DECT 6.0 for this reason. 2.4 and 5.8 are even less secure than my current VoIPo protocols. I noticed the use of a softphone with RTP send un-routable IP address across the public internet in plain text.

There are multiple encryption options - VPN setups, the IPSec protocol and other protocols such as SRTP (secure RTP- though it does not offer any authentication features like VPNs, it does encrypt voice packet payloads). The key however, is to choose a fast, efficient encryption algorithm and employ a dedicated encryption processor.

The IETF has defined SIPS, which uses either TLS or DTLS. only SIP-over-TLS is standardized.

SecureRTP, which does not have much of a processing overhead would resolve many of those concerns but if it’s not in your plans I’ll move on.

From what I understand encrypting across a NAT device causes problems since SIP embed layer-3 routing inside the payload.

Can the current investment in the VoIPo infrastructure (hardware, software and personnel) handle it? Do you have any plans to moving in this direction?

Tnx a lot.

usa2k
05-26-2009, 04:50 PM
It would be cool if you take credit card payments and somehow both sides could be encrypted like the are online.

It would also come in handy if you were Michael Knight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Knight_%28Knight_Rider%29). :)

An R&D Company ...

But technically, this is a Residential Service.
Letting companies use it, is wise, because there is less leverage when the rare failure occurs.

burris
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure that what he wants is going to be available for $10-12 month.

As you said, this is residential service. I'm sure his needs might be available, but certainly not in a residential service at this price.

ferdowsi
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Hahaha ... that's funny.

Seriously, one of the disadvantages of tele-commuting (for me) is I am in the residential category for many services. I also do not get as many box seats for ball games anymore.

I suppose my expectations were too high but I'll wait to hear from a VoIPo before I/we move on.

I checked out three of my friends' (US) residential VoIP service and they all are tunneling through SSL and transmitting with SRTP. They pay more but all are very pleased with their respective services. The few I scoped out in Europe were all secure as well but doesn't really apply, even though we have 'a few' DID's there.

I'd prefer making the small contribution of supporting a VoIPo, then bringing on <whoever> but it wouldn't be prudent to act off my ideals all the time.

One of the things I liked about this Forum was that opinions/comments are kept to a minimum and the meat of threads are directly related to the topics (no BS to sift through).

I see your point that this is a residential service. I guess I misinterpreted it seeing, Toll Free numbers and the Reseller Program. The home page does say, Residential VoIP plan.

ptrowski
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Which services are your friends using?

burris
05-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Which services are your friends using?

Paranoia Reigns..;);)

ferdowsi
05-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Paranoia Reigns..;);)

yes, so is george w. oh, maybe someone who can translate multiple middle eastern languages for government agencies and banks. hmmmm, who in this thread could that be? i can see this was a waste of time.

....goodbye

dswartz
05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
don't forget to double up the thickness of the aluminum foil in the hat...

ptrowski
05-28-2009, 07:28 AM
yes, so is george w. oh, maybe someone who can translate multiple middle eastern languages for government agencies and banks. hmmmm, who in this thread could that be? i can see this was a waste of time.

....goodbye

My question still remains as to who the providers are that your friends use?

kevm
05-29-2009, 11:17 AM
edited.see below

kevm
05-29-2009, 11:19 AM
My question still remains as to who the providers are that your friends use?

Seems like a logical question to me. I'm curious how it got the waste of time response.

burris
05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
I think the entire thread was a waste of bandwidth..:rolleyes: