PDA

View Full Version : MWI not turning off...

ptrowski
06-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Has anyone else had this come up? I have deleted all the messages, used the "update MWI" button on the vpanel, still nothing.
Any ideas? I am using a Uniden Tru-8866 series.

TomP
06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Yep, same problem, same phone. This has been a problem from day one. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I believe VOIPo was working on a solution a while back, but I think this effort got backburnered due to more pressing issues at the time.

As a workaround, the manual for this phone says the following:

Resetting the New Message LED and Envelope icon
If the LED remains on or the envelope icon still appears after you’ve retrieved your messages, you may need to reset the indicators. With the phone is in standby mode, press and hold flash/find handset on the base until the paging sound stops (about 5 seconds).

It does work, but it would be nice if the MWI would go off by itself when all messages have been deleted.

VOIPoTim
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Is anyone seeing it with any other model of phone?

We don't have any tickets open about it that I know of.

TomP
06-01-2009, 01:51 PM

I haven't bumped this in a while, but BNQ-663844 is my ticket on this issue.

VOIPoTim
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I haven't bumped this in a while, but BNQ-663844 is my ticket on this issue.

Thanks. That was from March so it wasn't listed as open, but I'll re-open it if not resolved.

ptrowski
06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Is anyone seeing it with any other model of phone?

I haven't bothered to put on in on it to be honest.

voipinit
06-02-2009, 03:51 AM
I have that problem (different phone) if I don't gracefully exit the voicemail system by hitting the # key and letting voicemail hang up.

fisamo
06-02-2009, 05:23 AM
When your MWI is stuck on, do you get a stutter tone? If not, the problem is with the way the ATA is signalling your phone. I've had this problem with our Uniden TRU-8865 system and our CallVantage DLink 1102 ATA.

In your Uniden set, access the menu --> Global Settings --> Voicemail Tone and make sure it's ON. With that feature set to on, the VMWI probalby won't clear immediately, but it usually goes off after a while. (With that feature off, it's supposed to accept the FSK signal from the ATA and respond instantly, but it's apparently not responding correctly to the FSK signal. Turning the feature on, IIRC, the phone goes offhook occasionally and turns the VMWI light on or off based on whether it detects a stutter tone.

sal
06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Not to be different but I don't have problems with Panosonic, Uniden, and ATS phones. I don't know the model of these phones since I am at work. Will check after I get home.

ptrowski
06-02-2009, 09:51 AM
When your MWI is stuck on, do you get a stutter tone? If not, the problem is with the way the ATA is signalling your phone. I've had this problem with our Uniden TRU-8865 system and our CallVantage DLink 1102 ATA.

In your Uniden set, access the menu --> Global Settings --> Voicemail Tone and make sure it's ON. With that feature set to on, the VMWI probalby won't clear immediately, but it usually goes off after a while. (With that feature off, it's supposed to accept the FSK signal from the ATA and respond instantly, but it's apparently not responding correctly to the FSK signal. Turning the feature on, IIRC, the phone goes offhook occasionally and turns the VMWI light on or off based on whether it detects a stutter tone.

Correct Fisamo, I don't get a stutter tone when the MWI is blinking. I tried entering the VM system today and exiting by pressing # and using the "Update MWI Again" on the CP to no avail.

I will try your method, thanks! The wife is getting to the point where she doesn't even check the VM anymore as she just sees the light blinking constantly.

voipinit
06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Just to clarify - if I forget to hit the # before hanging up - the only way I can get the light off is to call my number and leave a message and then retrieve it and exit with the # sign. If there are no messages, the graceful exit doesn't work.

TomP
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Correct Fisamo, I don't get a stutter tone when the MWI is blinking. I tried entering the VM system today and exiting by pressing # and using the "Update MWI Again" on the CP to no avail.

I will try your method, thanks! The wife is getting to the point where she doesn't even check the VM anymore as she just sees the light blinking constantly.

Same here - no stutter tone with MWI blinking after all messages deleted. I'll check the Voicemail Tone setting as well. I do get a stutter tone when there are messages waiting, however, so I'm thinking I may have this set to ON already. Will check to be sure when I get home. Thanks.

VOIPoBrandon
06-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey guys -- we have restructured the MWI notifications. You should now have your MWI updated ~ every 5 minutes. Please advise if you continue to see any issues in relation to this, thanks!

voipinit
06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
working perfect for me now, thanks!!

TomP
06-03-2009, 06:23 AM
Still not working for me. I confirmed that the Voicemail Tone was set to ON. However, the MWI light still blinks after I've deleted all messages. I waited over 10 minutes to see if the recent update may have fixed this. No joy yet.

VOIPoTim
06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Still not working for me. I confirmed that the Voicemail Tone was set to ON. However, the MWI light still blinks after I've deleted all messages. I waited over 10 minutes to see if the recent update may have fixed this. No joy yet.

Do you have port forwarding enabled? Basically when the MWI updates, it sends a signal to the ATA, but if the router doesn't let it through (some won't since there was no outgoing connection to initiate it...it considers it foreign), that could be an issue.

fisamo
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Let me make a suggestion:

Leave yourself a voicemail message.
If not already on, wait until the MWI light turns on.
Pick up the Voipo phone; you should hear stutter tone.
Using the website or another line (not a Voipo line), delete or listen to the voicemail message.
Watch the Line indicator on the PAP2, and see if/when it goes from slow flash to solid on.
Does your MWI stop flashing when the Line light is solid? When you pick up the phone, do you hear stutter tone?

If you still hear stutter tone (and Line light on the ATA continues to flash slowly), it's a problem with the MWI signal between Voipo and your ATA. If the Line light goes solid and stutter tone goes away but MWI light continues to flash/stays on, it's a problem between the ATA and your phone. This piece of information is critical to solving the problem.

TomP
06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Do you have port forwarding enabled? Basically when the MWI updates, it sends a signal to the ATA, but if the router doesn't let it through (some won't since there was no outgoing connection to initiate it...it considers it foreign), that could be an issue.

Pretty sure I have the appropriate ports forwarded. I'll double-check when I get home to be sure.

TomP
06-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Let me make a suggestion:

Leave yourself a voicemail message.
If not already on, wait until the MWI light turns on.
Pick up the Voipo phone; you should hear stutter tone.
Using the website or another line (not a Voipo line), delete or listen to the voicemail message.
Watch the Line indicator on the PAP2, and see if/when it goes from slow flash to solid on.
Does your MWI stop flashing when the Line light is solid? When you pick up the phone, do you hear stutter tone?

If you still hear stutter tone (and Line light on the ATA continues to flash slowly), it's a problem with the MWI signal between Voipo and your ATA. If the Line light goes solid and stutter tone goes away but MWI light continues to flash/stays on, it's a problem between the ATA and your phone. This piece of information is critical to solving the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try when I'm home to watch everything.

fisamo
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
One other thing--with the Voicemail Tone set to on (I think) it may take a little while for the light to clear. If it hasn't cleared within 30 minutes, it probably won't. The Uniden manual isn't super helpful--here's what it says about "Voicemail Tone":

Voice Mail Tone sets the voice mail tone. If your service does not support SDT
message signal, set your VMWI (Visual Message Waiting Inculcator) not to detect
SDT message signal.
1) Press the MENU soft key. Select the Global Setup menu, and then the Voice Mail
Tone Submenu.
2) Press volume up or volume down to set the
voice message indication (SDT message signal) to On or
Off.
3) Press the OK soft key. You will hear a confirmation tone.

---

Point is, I believe that with "Voicemail tone" set to ON, the phone is supposed to go off-hook now and again to see if the msg waiting light should be flashing or not. What I don't know is what triggers it to go off-hook. Obviously, if you pick up the line, you'll be able to tell if the stutter dial tone (SDT) is there or not, one would think the phone could, too.

I think that if you set the Voicemail Tone to OFF, the Uniden phones are supposed to look for the FSK signal from the ATA (which it should send). You might try the above test again with Voicemail Tone set to OFF. No guarantees, though.

TomP
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Okay, I confirmed that VOIPo-specified ports are forwarded.

I also tested per fisamo's instructions. In both cases (Voicemail Tone set to On or Off), when I have a message waiting & I pick up line 1, I get the stutter tone. The Line 1 light on the PAP2 blinks slowly while I have that line off the hook. If I delete the message via vPanel, nothing changes as far as the Line 1 blinking on the PAP2 goes -- still blinks slowly. The phone, however, goes from dial tone to busy signal, as one might expect when the phone is off the hook. The PAP2 Line 1 slow blink only stops when I hang up line 1.

The first couple of times I tried it, the MWI light went off after I deleted the message via vPanel and put line 1 back on the hook (i.e. hung up). However, subsequent tests using the same procedure did not work (MWI light remained on). There is no stutter tone when all messages are deleted and the MWI light is still on.

fisamo
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
There is no stutter tone when all messages are deleted and the MWI light is still on.

This statement is key--if you don't have stutter tone, your ATA has received the MWI off signal. Since the MWI light is still on, it's clear that the ATA is not sending a signal that your phone always understands to turn the MWI light off.

I should have been a little more clear in my instructions--you want the voipo phone on hook when adding/removing voicemail from your line. Given your statement above, though, I don't think you need to repeat the test. For those whose phones don't reset themselves, the (obviously less-than-perfect) solution is to manually reset the indicator on your phone after you retrieve voicemail. On the Uniden phones, that's done by holding down the "Find Handset" key until the phones stop beeping (5-10 seconds).

TomP
06-04-2009, 06:02 AM
This statement is key--if you don't have stutter tone, your ATA has received the MWI off signal. Since the MWI light is still on, it's clear that the ATA is not sending a signal that your phone always understands to turn the MWI light off.

Makes sense. So I guess the remaining question is whether the ATA is sending a signal to the phone at all, or whether it's just sending a signal that the phone does not recognize.

I should have been a little more clear in my instructions--you want the voipo phone on hook when adding/removing voicemail from your line.

I did test it both ways. Same result. Perhaps more interesting is that with a message waiting and the phone on hook, deleting the message via vPanel did not cause the Line 1 or Line 2 lights on the PAP2 to blink. i.e. Perhaps the ATA may not be sending the signal. I suspect the few successes I had with the phone off hook may have been due to the phone checking for stutter as soon as I hung up.

For those whose phones don't reset themselves, the (obviously less-than-perfect) solution is to manually reset the indicator on your phone after you retrieve voicemail. On the Uniden phones, that's done by holding down the "Find Handset" key until the phones stop beeping (5-10 seconds).

Yes, that works reliably as a workaround. However, it's certainly less than perfect as the loud beeping at every handset annoys (or at night, wakes) everyone in the house.

Thanks again for your help.

fisamo
06-04-2009, 06:22 AM
One other thought just occurred to me--with voicemail tone set to ON...

Say you don't have a message, but MWI is on. If you connect to the VM system using the voicemail shortcut key on your phone and then hang up, might that trigger the phone to check for stutter dialtone? The point of this test is that you're essentially telling the phone the you're checking voicemail (by using the VM access hotkey), so it should 'know' to check for SDT after you hang up... I have no idea of Unidens are programmed to recognize that you've hit the VM hotkey, just a thought.

TomP
06-04-2009, 06:48 AM
One other thought just occurred to me--with voicemail tone set to ON...

Say you don't have a message, but MWI is on. If you connect to the VM system using the voicemail shortcut key on your phone and then hang up, might that trigger the phone to check for stutter dialtone? The point of this test is that you're essentially telling the phone the you're checking voicemail (by using the VM access hotkey), so it should 'know' to check for SDT after you hang up... I have no idea of Unidens are programmed to recognize that you've hit the VM hotkey, just a thought.

Just tried. MWI light stays on.

voipinit
06-04-2009, 07:04 AM
you can make sure it's not your router by connecting the PAP2T directly to your internet modem (cable modem or dsl modem). call your number from a different source, leave a message, then retrieve and delete if from your VOIPo line. if the light stays on now, you pretty much ruled out it being your router.

TomP
06-04-2009, 07:20 AM
you can make sure it's not your router by connecting the PAP2T directly to your internet modem (cable modem or dsl modem). call your number from a different source, leave a message, then retrieve and delete if from your VOIPo line. if the light stays on now, you pretty much ruled out it being your router.

I think we already ruled out the router, since deleting the message via vPanel eliminates the stutter tone. i.e. The ATA is getting the signal.

usa2k
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
FWIW,

The MWI has been problematic the last few days for me.
I delete the message, MWI and Stutter go off.
A minute or so later it turns back on.
Check, and I have zero messages, and it goes off when I hang up.

Have not been bothered so much to submit a ticket.

usa2k
06-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Cleared a new VM using vPanel, and the MWI came back.
Cleared that via "Update MWI" on vPanel.
That's a deja vue of using "123" on the phone.

usa2k
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
VOIPo-Voicemail-indication (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22548709-VOIPo-Voicemail-indicationVOIPo)

TomP
09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Old thread, but thought I'd provide an update in case this helps someone else.

I am still using the Uniden TRU-8866 phone system. I was having a problem with call waiting caller ID (name & number of incoming call would not show up while I was on the line). I verified that this was not a VOIPo issue and started poking around online for solutions. Following these (http://www.mycusthelp.com/uniden/supportkbitem.asp?sSessionID=&Inc=1251&sFilA=Product&sFilB=Model&sFilC=&KEY=call%20waiting%20caller%20id) instructions from Uniden's site worked for that particular issue.

However, a nice side benefit was that this also appears to have solved my MWI problem as well! The MWI on my phones now turns on and off when it's supposed to.

Anyway, hope this info is helpful to others.

usa2k
09-11-2009, 06:11 PM
My issues were resolved at the timing of this post
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22796071-Re-VOIPo-VM-notifiaction-keeps-coming-back-Updated

usa2k
09-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Following these (http://www.mycusthelp.com/uniden/supportkbitem.asp?sSessionID=&Inc=1251&sFilA=Product&sFilB=Model&sFilC=&KEY=call%20waiting%20caller%20id) instructions from Uniden's site worked for that particular issue.Thanks for the post BTW

TomP
09-12-2009, 09:48 AM
My issues were resolved at the timing of this post
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22796071-Re-VOIPo-VM-notifiaction-keeps-coming-back-Updated

Thanks! I seem to have missed that (I don't always monitor dslreports). Perhaps in my case I just needed the phone system "reboot" to clear the slate for VOIPo's changes to become noticeable. Either way, things are working great now!

ptrowski
09-18-2009, 07:45 AM
I will say that it seems the issue has gone away. The MWI seems to be close to immediate now. Thanks!

Russell
09-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I will say that it seems the issue has gone away. The MWI seems to be close to immediate now. Thanks!

Yes, I too have noticed that (close to immediate).