PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Device Testing

VOIPoTim
06-17-2009, 12:06 PM
We recently picked up some Linksys RTP31P2s and have a chance to buy a ton more. They're brand new, but from a provider liquidation.

This is a discontinued Linksys model which is basically like the PAP2 but with a built in router.

Since it's just an older version with a router, it seems to be working exactly the same, but we'd like to get some real world users to try them out.

We are looking for only a few people to try one. If you are testing, we need you to commit try all the features out to make sure you don't have issues (distinctive ring, etc). You'll get to keep the device when you're done (and the current PAP2 you have).

If anyone is interested and you can commit to testing features, let me know. We only need a few people.

They'd be send out towards the end of the month.

Xponder1
06-17-2009, 02:02 PM
We recently picked up some Linksys RTP31P2s and have a chance to buy a ton more. They're brand new, but from a provider liquidation.

This is a discontinued Linksys model which is basically like the PAP2 but with a built in router.

Since it's just an older version with a router, it seems to be working exactly the same, but we'd like to get some real world users to try them out.

We are looking for only a few people to try one. If you are testing, we need you to commit try all the features out to make sure you don't have issues (distinctive ring, etc). You'll get to keep the device when you're done (and the current PAP2 you have).

If anyone is interested and you can commit to testing features, let me know. We only need a few people.

Tim, I thought about it and I could help you test it if you like. I will just plug it into my cable modem and plug my other router into it while testing (so the kids wireless works).

I can test all the features including the router.

burris
06-17-2009, 02:35 PM

I can have a go at it if you wish....send it on..

dan
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
If you need any one else to test sign me up I'd be interested in helping out.

chpalmer
06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Count me in if needed... These seem to be really stout for their purpose when I had one (fonage) before that I managed to brick... :D

rx100
06-18-2009, 01:41 AM
Count me in

raw92378
06-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm willing to test it too

gbh2o
06-23-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd be happy to test one, Tim. Just set it to be for my 2nd founders account (FL#) since it isn't in use anyway [she refused to give up the flexibility of my * system, go figure :( ].

dvijen
06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
I will be happy to test it too, no problem
Dvijen

txcas
06-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I am willing to test all the features.

ptrowski
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Isn't that what Vonage used to use, maybe still does? When I was with them I went through 3 of them. They would randomly just die and have to be replaced. Personally I would steer clear.

Xponder1
06-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Isn't that what Vonage used to use, maybe still does? When I was with them I went through 3 of them. They would randomly just die and have to be replaced. Personally I would steer clear.

I had one for over year with no issue ever.

burris
06-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Tim....

Just curious..

If we do get one for testing, will it be provisioned by VOIPo and to our main number or perhaps a virtual number that could be set up for this purpose?

voipoh
06-24-2009, 05:23 PM
If you need more testers, send one to me.

Russell
06-24-2009, 07:51 PM
I'll be happy to test too, if I'm not too late. Fwiw, I also use my old Vonage RT31P2 router (hacked to unlock it) - however, I notice it reboots on a regular basis (could be because it't hacked). We're big users of distinctive ring - as you may know from the various tickets I've created :-).

ptrowski
06-25-2009, 07:16 AM

That's good to know, but in close to 2 years I went through three of them with just the phones and a PC connected to it.

They would just up and die one day. Very odd.

Xponder1
06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
That's good to know, but in close to 2 years I went through three of them with just the phones and a PC connected to it.

They would just up and die one day. Very odd.

Do you keep your stuff on backup power supplies? I have every electronic device in my house (that I can) on a UPS. Before I invested in all these UPS's I used to have to replace a component of some sort it seemed like monthly.

Besides with the UPS my cable modem, router, phone, and ATA will run for more than a hour without power.

As I am sure your aware small fluctuations in power can damage electronics. If your power goes out for a moment the power is too low. Then when it comes back on it surges as it spreads out. Either can damage electronics.

As for my old ATA after I left Vonage I sent it to someone I know who had a router fried. I called them yesterday and they are still using it today as just a router. They have had it for a long long ...long time. I used it for about a year myself.

Then again maybe they just sent me one from the "good batch" :)

ptrowski
06-25-2009, 11:13 AM
This was about 4-5 years ago when I first ventured into VoIP. Everything I have plugs into surge protectors, not a UPS though. Everything else was ok, it was just the Vonage devices that were going kaput.

Hopefully they have improved since then.

Vumes
06-30-2009, 05:53 PM

I also had mine for a few years with no issues at all. As a matter of fact I still have it laying around somewhere. Provisioned to Vonage, so its in a box somewhere.

VOIPoTim
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
We should be contacting some of you in a week or so about this.

drearick@lavabit.com
07-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Tim, count me in for testing a RT31P2;

RT31P2- yes, it's the same model as Vonage uses/used; I'm on my original one from 03/2005; been rock solid for me (knock on wood)

Russell
07-09-2009, 08:03 PM
We should be contacting some of you in a week or so about this.

Just wondering if the lucky ones have been contacted :-).

VOIPoTim
07-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Not yet.

Took a little longer than expected to prep them.

We plan to contact people by the end of next week.

Hawkmeister
07-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Tim,

If you need another to test, add me to the list. I may need some help from you staff configuring my other Linksys router behind it.

darylo
07-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I'll test too if needed.

mboudoin
07-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Same with me. Add me to the list if you still need someone.

burris
07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Not yet.

Took a little longer than expected to prep them.

We plan to contact people by the end of next week.

Got the RT31P2 today...Waiting for instructions to proceed..

VOIPoTim
07-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Got the RT31P2 today...Waiting for instructions to proceed..

That was quick.

We'll e-mail out a list either today or Monday of things we'd like to have everyone test.

It should be plug and play right now though for normal use.

burris
07-17-2009, 01:01 PM
A few quick test results...

Since I have a router, I hooked it up just like the PAP2....

Both lines dial out OK.

Cannot call one cloned line to the other. Goes to failover.

The first inbound try rang only to line 1...since that call....
When calling in from cell...rings once and voice quickly answers "no messages" and disconnects.

Since I can't get into the config, I don't know how it is set up or what might be causing these issues..

I have to take it off line now since I get no incoming.

Might be handy to assign a temp DID so we can leave it on all the time and test over a period of time..

VOIPoTim
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
A few quick test results...

Since I have a router, I hooked it up just like the PAP2....

Both lines dial out OK.

Cannot call one cloned line to the other. Goes to failover.

The first inbound try rang only to line 1...since that call....
When calling in from cell...rings once and voice quickly answers "no messages" and disconnects.

Since I can't get into the config, I don't know how it is set up or what might be causing these issues..

I have to take it off line now since I get no incoming.

Might be handy to assign a temp DID so we can leave it on all the time and test over a period of time..

Ok, just hang tight and by Monday we'll post a new thread with the formal testing info and how we're handling things.

Xponder1
07-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Got mine today too.
I also connected it and I can make outgoing calls on both lines but can not get a incoming call at all.

I will keep a lookout for the thread you mentioned Tim. I would imagine you all probably already know why we cant call out.

dvijen
07-17-2009, 04:40 PM
got it today, will wait for the instructions
thanks
dvijen

chpalmer
07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
plugged into the cable modem direct. have internet connectivity through it. line registered last night. no registration this morning...

standard user - password does not work. (admin - admin).

>edit to add Ive gone back to the pap2 for the day...

:D
:D

Russell
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Nothing in my mailbox :-( :-( :-(.

gbh2o
07-18-2009, 06:27 PM

:( sniff, sniff . Nothing new in mine either. :(

Xponder1
07-18-2009, 08:27 PM

:( sniff, sniff . Nothing new in mine either. :(

Nothing to be upset about.

We are looking for only a few people to try one.

He said up front he only needed a few people. Besides it can take 5-7 days to get the packages and the date on my sticker says it was mailed 7-14-09. So what I am saying its possible there could be one in the mail.

Xponder1
07-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Any updates for us Tim?

VOIPoTim
07-22-2009, 09:23 PM
We're running a little behind on this.

We need to make a few changes for these since they do not like something we're sending in the headers for incoming calls.

We have some new features being rolled out this week that kinda sidetracked the testing of these devices, but we'll post an update when we're ready.

Just hang on to them for now and of course experiment if you want.

Xponder1
07-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks Tim. I will continue playing with the new features then :)

Russell
07-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Got mine today too.
I also connected it and I can make outgoing calls on both lines but can not get a incoming call at all.

Ditto.

I was going to replace the PAP2T with the newly arrived RT31P2, but not being able to get incoming killed that idea. Xponder1, do you now having incoming? If yes, what did you do to start getting incoming?

Xponder1
07-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Ditto.

I was going to replace the PAP2T with the newly arrived RT31P2, but not being able to get incoming killed that idea. Xponder1, do you now having incoming? If yes, what did you do to start getting incoming?

I have not reconnected it. I am just going to wait till they ask us to hook them up.

Russell
07-25-2009, 06:22 AM
I have not reconnected it. I am just going to wait till they ask us to hook them up.

I've left it connected to the Internet, with a spare phone connected to Line 2 of the new device. I'm also letting it to DHCP to my main computer - a personal RT31P2 I have reboots on a regular basis and I'm curious if this will exhibit any similar symptoms.

Edit: a 4-line phone now connected to both devices (standard issue and alternate) which are online. Please let me know if doing any of this is going to impact my ability to receive incoming on my regular ATA.

Russell
07-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm also letting it to DHCP to my main computer - a personal RT31P2 I have reboots on a regular basis and I'm curious if this will exhibit any similar symptoms.

Is it possible to get http access to the box? Saw some lights flash - this box may be also exhibiting rebooting behavior, either spontaneous or VOIPo induced. Without access to the box it's not easy to determine.

Russell
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
My RT31P2 rings both lines every few minutes - one short ring.

ptrowski
07-28-2009, 01:52 PM
My RT31P2 rings both lines every few minutes - one short ring.

Sounds like the vm splash setting I believe.

Russell
07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds like the vm splash setting I believe.
Seems to have gone away - next time I have voice-mail I'll see if there is a correlation.

rx100
07-30-2009, 12:39 AM
We're running a little behind on this.

We need to make a few changes for these since they do not like something we're sending in the headers for incoming calls.

We have some new features being rolled out this week that kinda sidetracked the testing of these devices, but we'll post an update when we're ready.

Just hang on to them for now and of course experiment if you want.

Tim,

Waitin for your instructions to switch the device.

Russell
07-30-2009, 06:10 AM
Seems to have gone away - next time I have voice-mail I'll see if there is a correlation.

Yes, definitely VM Splash. New voice mail and sure enough we hear the short rings on a regular basis. Can't this be configured the same way as a PAP2T? Since the device is in our bedroom you can well imagine the wife's reaction to my "hobby" :-). And, it takes an awful long time for the VM Splash to go away after I delete the voicemail - I don't think it went away even then until I lifted and placed the receiver down a couple of times (I need to try this out to confirm).

Xponder1
07-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, definitely VM Splash. New voice mail and sure enough we hear the short rings on a regular basis. Can't this be configured the same way as a PAP2T? Since the device is in our bedroom you can well imagine the wife's reaction to my "hobby" :-). And, it takes an awful long time for the VM Splash to go away after I delete the voicemail - I don't think it went away even then until I lifted and placed the receiver down a couple of times (I need to try this out to confirm).

Thing is I don't think were officially testing them yet. I am sure it will not be much longer.

Russell
08-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I believe the rebooting on a regular basis was due to a configuration issue. Brandon tweaked something and it no longer reboots like the way it did before. VOIPo folk do remember that since this device can act as a router (and that's how I'm using it) customers can connect a computer to it and when it does it rebooting thing the computer's internet connection can potentially "freeze". That is, if this box is similar to my hacked RT31P2 I previously used where I would notice such freezing behavior, glance at my router and see it rebooting. Just something to keep in mind.

VOIPoTim
08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
We're working on documenting what we want to test with them and will post that at the beginning of next week at the latest.

If anyone wanted to experiment in the meantime, you should be able to get incoming calls on them now after they reprovision.

Xponder1
08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the update Tim.

drkolosis
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I would like to try it out as well.

Russell
08-05-2009, 06:41 AM
We're working on documenting what we want to test with them and will post that at the beginning of next week at the latest.

If anyone wanted to experiment in the meantime, you should be able to get incoming calls on them now after they reprovision.

Yes, I can confirm that all four lines on my 4 line phone light up when I call the VOIPo number. Pretty sight! Tim, any reason not to leave both adapters on line (I've had them on line for quite some time now, but previously there was no incoming).

Fwiw, the RT31P2 now feeds the house wiring (essentially replacing the PAP2T) as far as the numerous phones in the house are concerned. The PAP2T only feeds my 4 line phone.

Russell
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
RT31P2: Child from home complains that calls cannot be answered. Phone rings but when child picks up - silence. I called home and the calls went to voicemail. I'll attempt to verify this pm (and switch away from the RT31P2 if the issue is still present.

Xponder1
08-16-2009, 02:52 PM

I have been waiting on the mentioned documentation before hooking mine up but I went ahead and hooked it up since you said that incoming calls should work after they reprovision.

I logged in mine using the directions on linksys site and it does not appear to be setup to be provisioned by VOIPo. Everything is default settings. IYE-227622 is the ticket #

After posting this I found the manual for providers and logged into
http://192.168.15.1/Voice_adminPage.htm with no trouble at all. Nothing is configured.

Xponder1
08-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Well after chatting with support this morning and having them remote in and determine something was screwy with the ATA because my settings I had put in to make it provision itself were not working and waiting hours for a reply I got tired of waiting and decided to try another step. I reset the ATA back to factory defaults, added the provisioning url and saved, reset by unplugging.
All stuff I had done before except I had not reset factory defaults.

Then like magic it decided to start working. Both lines working and confirmed can make both in and outgoing calls from both lines. My best guess is somehow the config file was corrupted. Weird but it works.:p

I found this to be funny because usually people are trying to unlock their ATA and I was trying to relock (provision) it.

Tim in Vpanel it says "You are currently connected to: sip-byod.voipwelcome.com" with options to change it. With the PAP2 I was on central. Should I leave it or is it safe to change it?

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Device worked great until tonight. I received a call and the device lost its sip connections. I unplugged it and it connected again. Made a test outgoing call and that was fine. Made a couple test incoming calls and both failed. The phone would ring but it was dead air on this end followed by a busy tone. Submitted a ticket (Ticket ID: RSE-677109 ) and continued trying. Managed to receive two calls and then the device lost connection again and has not reconnected.

Waiting on support to reply before I reset it again.

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Leave these on sip-byod.voipwelcome.com per support (dont change it in vpanel).

This had nothing to do with my issue (at the time of this posting I am working with support to resolve). I just wanted to share since I never got a answer to the question and thought it may help someone else.

Russell
08-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Device worked great until tonight. I received a call and the device lost its sip connections. I unplugged it and it connected again. Made a test outgoing call and that was fine. Made a couple test incoming calls and both failed. The phone would ring but it was dead air on this end followed by a busy tone. Submitted a ticket (Ticket ID: RSE-677109 ) and continued trying. Managed to receive two calls and then the device lost connection again and has not reconnected.

Waiting on support to reply before I reset it again.
See my posts #54 and 55 in this thread. After the incidents described therein, I switched away (had both ATAs on at the same time so not sure if that was an issue). Currently I only have the production PAP2T in service.

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 07:10 PM
See my posts #54 and 55 in this thread. After the incidents described therein, I switched away (had both ATAs on at the same time so not sure if that was an issue). Currently I only have the production PAP2T in service.

Support just helped me get mine working again. It was fine for a day. I can now make outgoing calls and receive calls again. Russell I decided to start testing mine because you stopped posting about it. Thought maybe you had yours working :)

burris
08-18-2009, 07:30 PM
Support just helped me get mine working again. It was fine for a day. I can now make outgoing calls and receive calls again. Russell I decided to start testing mine because you stopped posting about it. Thought maybe you had yours working :)

I had mine running when I first got it, but took it down as Tim indicated they weren't ready yet.

Are you testing yours on your main number? Early on, I sort of suggested that maybe Tim would assign a temp DID so that we could test it without the chance of messing up our main line.

Russell
08-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Xponder, if you look at #54, you'll probably get an idea of how excited I was that morning. I then left for work. During which time a child at home couldn't receive calls and I didn't get back till late in the evening (see #55). Very upset spouse caused a termination of the experiment :-(. And, shortly thereafter we had visitors (wife's folk) for a week and I didn't want to have a phone system which was not "perfect" and production VOIPo was superb! Another variable: I'd also got a new 2-line phone in the kitchen at about the same time and I needed to confirm the silence on the calls was not due to family ineptly using the phone.

Russell
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
I had mine running when I first got it, but took it down as Tim indicated they weren't ready yet.

Are you testing yours on your main number? Early on, I sort of suggested that maybe Tim would assign a temp DID so that we could test it without the chance of messing up our main line.
It's configured to be a replacement for your ATA (main number), I believe.

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Ya as Russell said its just my main number. I offered to experiment with it because I do not use the phone a lot and I have lots of other phones. I expect downtime. The guy in support apologized for the inconvenience but I told him not to worry about it because I enjoy this stuff and I can not help them fix it if I stick my pap2 back in every time I have a issue.

On a side note I tried leaving my pap2 and this thing connected at the same time but had issues. I think it may be because these are on another test byod server and the pap2 is on central.

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Xponder, if you look at #54, you'll probably get an idea of how excited I was that morning. I then left for work. During which time a child at home couldn't receive calls and I didn't get back till late in the evening (see #55). Very upset spouse caused a termination of the experiment :-(. And, shortly thereafter we had visitors (wife's folk) for a week and I didn't want to have a phone system which was not "perfect" and production VOIPo was superb! Another variable: I'd also got a new 2-line phone in the kitchen at about the same time and I needed to confirm the silence on the calls was not due to family ineptly using the phone.

Ya I had read your posts before. I just assumed since all had been quiet here for awhile that you got yours working. I will continue to report on mine. Still waiting on that list Tim :p

Russell
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
On a side note I tried leaving my pap2 and this thing connected at the same time but had issues. I think it may be because these are on another test byod server and the pap2 is on central.

Yes, when I had issues with not being able to answer I had both ATAs connected. The experimental one was feeding the house wiring and the production one was feeding the other two lines of my 4-line phone.

Xponder1
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes, when I had issues with not being able to answer I had both ATAs connected. The experimental one was feeding the house wiring and the production one was feeding the other two lines of my 4-line phone.

So maybe it would work better if you leave the pap2 disconnected OR maybe support can put your pap2 on the byod server. Just a thought.

Russell
08-19-2009, 05:10 AM
So maybe it would work better if you leave the pap2 disconnected OR maybe support can put your pap2 on the byod server. Just a thought.

But you're allowed to have soft-phones (connected to the byod server) concurrently with the PAP2T. Why is the having the RT31P2 with the PAP2T any different? Anyway, I was waiting on a yea or nay from VOIPo on whether it was allowable.

Xponder1
08-19-2009, 02:33 PM
But you're allowed to have soft-phones (connected to the byod server) concurrently with the PAP2T. Why is the having the RT31P2 with the PAP2T any different? Anyway, I was waiting on a yea or nay from VOIPo on whether it was allowable.

Well I see a couple of problems with it. First they are on two different servers. That could cause issues. Second they are using the same ports. It's now 3:33PMCST and the ATA is still going strong.

Russell
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Well I see a couple of problems with it. First they are on two different servers. That could cause issues. Second they are using the same ports. It's now 3:33PMCST and the ATA is still going strong.

Isn't that also true when you use a softphone and ATA at the same time?

Xponder1
08-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Isn't that also true when you use a softphone and ATA at the same time?

It used to be until they put all the new softphones on some other server. I personally caused a network outage with my softphone/ata combo months ago.

Xponder1
08-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Another update for those of you with this device. Still no problems with the device. So its been up about 48 hours now.

chpalmer
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
plugged mine in today for first time in two weeks or so. Wont register today.

Normal support channels?? :D

Xponder1
08-21-2009, 04:56 PM
plugged mine in today for first time in two weeks or so. Wont register today.

Normal support channels?? :D

Ya thats what I would do. I was going to report I had a issue with mine today but I think it was because i had two simul ring numbers setup. I removed the second number and life returned to normal.

chpalmer
08-21-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks!

I just remembered that when I had it up before I had put it in parallel with my router up against the cloud.

Today I tried from behind the pfsense box. Ill give it a try paralleled again later after working hours....

chpalmer
08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Mine is pointed at west01 and I have no way to change it to byod in vpanel. Ill have to go back to the pap2 till support can look at it after the weekend....

:)

Xponder1
08-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Mine is pointed at west01 and I have no way to change it to byod in vpanel. Ill have to go back to the pap2 till support can look at it after the weekend....

Does it connect?

VOIPoTim
08-22-2009, 03:57 PM
These are being provisioned to the BYOD server and using BYOD credentials.

Did you change the hostname to west manually? If so, the credentials are prob still the BYOD ones if they came from provisioning.

Xponder1
08-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Mine is still working. I have tested the router and it works fine.

chpalmer
08-23-2009, 02:52 AM
These are being provisioned to the BYOD server and using BYOD credentials.

Did you change the hostname to west manually? If so, the credentials are prob still the BYOD ones if they came from provisioning.

Nope- I just plugged it in when I got it. Ive never been into it...

Ive got a ticket in about a request and made a note in a reply about the no incoming...

Xponder1
08-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Still going strong guys. The problem I had like last week was because I had two numbers in simul ring. I got a email from support saying they are aware. Removing the second number fixed it.

It's a very nice ATA.

VOIPoTim
08-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Still going strong guys. The problem I had like last week was because I had two numbers in simul ring. I got a email from support saying they are aware. Removing the second number fixed it.

It's a very nice ATA.

Have you used the router functions on it at all?

Xponder1
08-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Have you used the router functions on it at all?

Ya it works fine.

caseydoug
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I don't use this device, and I generally don't like to use the router functions of an ATA because they are rarely as good as a dedicated router. However, one advantage of having an ATA-router combination device is that you can easily bypass your LAN for purposes of testing VoIP problems (which are usually LAN-related). Routers can generally be set up to do PPPoE authentication, for example, and can be configured to have a routable public IP address (I don't think the PAP2 can do this except as a simple DHCP client). And while you are testing, your computer can still reach the internet (again, not possible where the PAP2 gets the public IP address). Once the VoIP problems are resolved, you can always turn off the device's router functions and go back to using a dedicated router if you choose.

I'm wondering whether these considerations played a part in VOIPo's trying out this device, or is it just because you can get a good deal on them?

VOIPoTim
08-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm wondering whether these considerations played a part in VOIPo's trying out this device, or is it just because you can get a good deal on them?

Both. A competitor in CA had a few thousand of these and preferred Grandstream devices. We will never touch Grandstream devices again....so we traded.

Xponder1
08-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Both. A competitor in CA had a few thousand of these and preferred Grandstream devices. We will never touch Grandstream devices again....so we traded.

LOL Hands down you got the good end of that deal.

chpalmer
08-28-2009, 08:36 PM
LOL Hands down you got the good end of that deal.

No Doubt!

Been solid here since the config file was fixed up.. ;)

Russell
08-29-2009, 09:34 AM

It's a very nice ATA.

I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere in this thread ... but things change. Are you using the test devlce as a replacement for the original or are you running both in parallel?

burris
08-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm sure you've mentioned it somewhere in this thread ... but things change. Are you using the test devlce as a replacement for the original or are you running both in parallel?

I asked Tim about this early on, but don't remember if there was an answer.

I'm not they will both register if in parallel.

chpalmer
08-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I have problems trying to register in parallel, even with the two adapters on separate public IP addresses...

And Brandon confirmed these problems would happen.

Russell
08-29-2009, 12:28 PM
I asked Tim about this early on, but don't remember if there was an answer.

I'm not they will both register if in parallel.

Yes, I know and ran it in this mode for a while but had some issues at which point I pulled the plug. The purpose of the question was to determine if both adapters simultaneously on was considered a scenario that was expected to work and if Xponder was doing so.

burris
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
I also suggested awhile back that maybe they could assign a temp DID for the testers...that way we could leave it hooked up and any testing wouldn't interfere with our main line.
I don't remember if I heard back..

Xponder1
08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

I disconnected my PAP2 and I am using this instead. I did however "try" to make it work with both but it was a epic fail. Once you get it up and running you should not need the PAP2. It works fine.

VOIPoBrandon
08-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Just an update for you guys --- you now should be able to use both the RT31P2 device and PAP2T / etc in parallel. We've made a change that will now allow this.

Happy Testing!
________
Glass Pipes (http://glasspipes.net/)

Xponder1
08-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Just an update for you guys --- you now should be able to use both the RT31P2 device and PAP2T / etc in parallel. We've made a change that will now allow this.

Happy Testing!

Well I am happy with device as is but this will make some of the others more likely to use theirs. Sounds good.

chpalmer
08-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Just re-enabled that line on my pap2 so both devices now active and seems to be working correctly...

burris
08-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Just re-enabled that line on my pap2 so both devices now active and seems to be working correctly...

If you hook up both ATAs and they are both provisioned to your main number along with the clone feature, what is the process?

Russell
08-29-2009, 05:53 PM
If you hook up both ATAs and they are both provisioned to your main number along with the clone feature, what is the process?

Things are getting pretty hairy, I'd say!

VOIPoTim
08-29-2009, 07:13 PM

It should be fine actually. All should ring.

Russell
08-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Well, I plugged in the RT31P2 (in addition to the PAP2T). Phone lines lit up on the front console of the RR31P2. vPanel showed the device as registered. Checked dial tone on all 4 lines. But, within a matter of minutes the phone LEDs went dark on the RT31P2. Working fine as a router (the computer on which I'm typing this gets its wired connection from the RT31P2). But the phone's dead on it. I really don't want to open a ticket for something like this.

Looking at the voice admin page I see: "Can't connect to login server".

Looking further I see the proxy set to "sip-east01.voipwelcome.com". Shouldn't it be the byod server for these test devices? Should I just get the credentials and server from BYOD in vPanel? What do others have?

usa2k
08-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Its not set to auto-provision?
I thought they were to be plug&play like the PAP2T?

chpalmer
08-29-2009, 08:20 PM
BYOD- here... was on west01 when I first got it but support moved it over...

Xponder1
08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Well, I plugged in the RT31P2 (in addition to the PAP2T). Phone lines lit up on the front console of the RR31P2. vPanel showed the device as registered. Checked dial tone on all 4 lines. But, within a matter of minutes the phone LEDs went dark on the RT31P2. Working fine as a router (the computer on which I'm typing this gets its wired connection from the RT31P2). But the phone's dead on it. I really don't want to open a ticket for something like this.

Looking at the voice admin page I see: "Can't connect to login server".

Looking further I see the proxy set to "sip-east01.voipwelcome.com". Shouldn't it be the byod server for these test devices? Should I just get the credentials and server from BYOD in vPanel? What do others have?

Ya support will have to reprovision it and you should either submit a ticket or use the online chat. Does not take them long to fix it at all. It must be on byod or it wont work.

Russell
08-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Ya support will have to reprovision it and you should either submit a ticket or use the online chat. Does not take them long to fix it at all. It must be on byod or it wont work.

Opened a ticket.

Btw, for VOIPo folks reading this, it'd be nice to have a Priority drop down when opening a ticket. I typed in "Low priority" in the ticket. Perhaps you get so few tickets that it doesn't matter but it'll give you a sense for how important the customer considers the issue.

VOIPoTim
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Has anyone used this behind a router yet?

burris
08-31-2009, 02:12 PM

I have my RT plugged in behind my router along with the PAP2 and in and out works fine..

VOIPoTim
08-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Better question...has anyone noticed anything not working on them?

Any features you've tried and had issues with?

Xponder1
08-31-2009, 03:48 PM

Only issue worth mentioning I noticed right after reading this message from you. I looked at my ATA and the lights were out. Contacted support via chat and they fixed something on their side and had me reset my ATA. Then I tested a call and could dial out but not receive a call. So they changed something else and had me reset it again. Now it works. When I asked what was changed they said somehow my SIP credentials were reset on your side.

Any idea how that happened? Maybe one of the recent changes?

Thanks,

burris
08-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Something I did notice with SIP ports..

PAP2 is provisioned for ports 5060-5061

RT is provisioned for ports 5061-5062

Doesn't appear to be causing any problems, but should any of the ports overlap with a setup like this?

Russell
08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Something I did notice with SIP ports..

PAP2 is provisioned for ports 5060-5061

RT is provisioned for ports 5061-5062

Doesn't appear to be causing any problems, but should any of the ports overlap with a setup like this?

Both of mine are 5060 and 5061. Not reporting this as an issue but stating a fact. Brandon fixed mine last night so it now registers. They're both online at present. I need to test incoming after which I'll make the RT31P2 feed the house wiring. Notice it does a ring splash with voicemail which the PAP2T did not - I like the ring splash.

usa2k
08-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Both of mine are 5060 and 5061.
That means your router is doing its job correctly :D

Same ports, different internal IPs.

But now that I think of it,
In devices, I have the real world IP.
I only have the PAP2T so no worries here.

Do both your ATAs report the same IP and the same Ports???

Russell
08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
That means your router is doing its job correctly :D

Same ports, different internal IPs.

I know. That's why I said, "Not reporting this as an issue but stating a fact." :-) when I responded to Burris' comment about common ports.

Russell
08-31-2009, 10:07 PM

It reboots every once in a while. Which kills your internet connection for everything behind it when it does. Just did it a few minutes ago and I saw a "network cable unplugged" popup in my XP box. Since this is a freebie it's no biggie. However, I wouldn't want to put devices behind it for which I want excellent uptime. And also there's a slight window in which you can miss a call - this behavior is probably shared with the PAP2T as some kind of VOIPo config "feature".

chpalmer
08-31-2009, 10:10 PM

Not yours but I used the last one I had with my Voipo numbers with no issues...

burris
09-01-2009, 05:51 AM
It reboots every once in a while. Which kills your internet connection for everything behind it when it does. Just did it a few minutes ago and I saw a "network cable unplugged" popup in my XP box. Since this is a freebie it's no biggie. However, I wouldn't want to put devices behind it for which I want excellent uptime. And also there's a slight window in which you can miss a call - this behavior is probably shared with the PAP2T as some kind of VOIPo config "feature".

Although I reported that it was working with both ATAs behind the router, last night I had an inconvenient experience as a result..

Forever it seems, I keep my simulring activated to my cell and it has worked flawlessy. Last night, however, after going to sleep and having shut off my cell, we got a few calls from my wife's brother up North...the phones rang once--CID appeared--but line was dead. After the second call, we called back to find out that my wife's sister was injured. Her brother said he left 2 messages, but I couldn't figure out how as our answer machine was empty.
The messages went to my cell voice mail.

Anyway, I looked at the VPanel and with no intervention from me, both ATAs were now using the same SIP ports. Changed by itself since earlier in the day.
I removed the RT ATA and all went back to normal.

Lesson...don't experiment when you're not there to intervene if something goes South..

dvijen
09-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Since I got it, I have used it off and on, always behind the router, and in addition to PAP2T.
I had to reset it from back button originally since it would not connect, once done, and populating provisioning field, it provisioned and connected right away, not a single hiccup so far.
When I power it up, shows up in vpanel. Phone connected to it rings with PAP2T connected phones, and essentially works like a cloned line.
I have setup distinctive rings for some of my phone numbers in vpanel, and it works great on both PAP2T and rt31P2.
My router is MONOWALL.

dvijen

caseydoug
09-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Forever it seems, I keep my simulring activated to my cell and it has worked flawlessy. Last night, however, after going to sleep and having shut off my cell, we got a few calls

Burris, a little OT, but what is the normal behavior when simulring is active and your cell is turned off? I mean without the new ATA, does your VOIPo line ring?

burris
09-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Burris, a little OT, but what is the normal behavior when simulring is active and your cell is turned off? I mean without the new ATA, does your VOIPo line ring?

With the PAP2 or with my SPA2102 even when the cell is off, my VOIPo line rings.

I suspect the instance of 2 ATAs sharing the SIP ports may have caused the problem, and as I mentioned, even though it worked earlier in the day, something changed at night that caused both ATAs to latch on to the same SIP ports. Earlier in the day, only one port was duplicated.

Russell
09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Although I reported that it was working with both ATAs behind the router, last night I had an inconvenient experience as a result..

Forever it seems, I keep my simulring activated to my cell and it has worked flawlessy. Last night, however, after going to sleep and having shut off my cell, we got a few calls from my wife's brother up North...the phones rang once--CID appeared--but line was dead. After the second call, we called back to find out that my wife's sister was injured. Her brother said he left 2 messages, but I couldn't figure out how as our answer machine was empty.
The messages went to my cell voice mail.

If you have simulring with your cell in effect and your cell is off and you get a call, presumably your cell's voicemail will answer the call almost right away - (of course your VOIPo line will ring once before the call reaches your cell network and voicemail answers). So, wouldn't you get the exact behavior you've described?

Burris, essentially you're expecting Google Voice behavior with Call Presentation in effect?

Russell
09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone have BOTH ATAs on at the same time and incoming ringing on both for the same call? I've had both ATAs on and just can't seem to get incoming working on both. Outgoing works perfectly on both ATAs. Just wanted to confirm that this scenario was working for someone. What I'm asking is if you have the equivalent of 4 phones attached to the two ATAs and got an incoming call, do all 4 ring for that call? No, I don't forward any ports and neither is anything in my DMZ and both devices are connected in parallel behind my router.

rx100
09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
Hooked mine up for the first time today. Straight out of the box, its working.

Cable modem -> WL520gu(Tomato) -> RT31P2

pap is not connected.

Whats the user id password (Admin/User) for RT31P2?

Russell
09-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks to the friendly folks at support, the RT31P2 is now functional. It's now production at home - driving the home wiring and various phones attached to it. The old PAP2T drives just one phone.

VOIPoTim
09-09-2009, 05:13 PM
I see a lot of these up, for those of you using have you had any issues lately?

Xponder1
09-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Mine is still going strong. Nothing exciting to report. No news is good news I guess.

Russell
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Mine is doing great.

rx100
09-10-2009, 11:49 PM
No issues here for last 4 days. I had to reset the device once

Russell
09-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Mine is doing great.

Currently at:

Elapsed Time: 3 days and 09:28:39

rx100
09-12-2009, 11:21 AM
What's the user id/password?

would like to put this between the modem and router and test?

chpalmer
09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
To the voipo techs-

http://(rt31p2 (http://%28rt31p2) ip)/Voice_adminPage.htm in case you dont know already..

This is the only page that affects voice settings.

Id like the router log in credentials also... Please! :D

VOIPoTim
09-12-2009, 07:39 PM
To access the router part, you can use this info:

User: voipo
Pass: voipoadmin

As far as the main admin password it's randomly generated per account. By default the remote access port is also randomized (but we store it in our system), but you should be able to change it in there.

chpalmer
09-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Tim:

I made a configuration change today. RT31P2 is now behind the pfsense box and port forwarding 443 to ILO on my server... It has been parallel till now...

PAP2 still live there also. Time for some test calls...

Delphi99
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM

I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't like mine.

I signed up for VOIPo a few days ago and I was sent a RT31P2. I was expecting a PAP2-T.

I have a wireless Linksys router, so I put the RT31P2 underneath it, as they're designed to stack upon each other.

After a few hours of use, I thought I got a whiff of some kind of hot plastic smell.

I separated the RT31P2 from my wireless router. I felt the top of my wireless router, and it was a little warm. I felt the top of the RT31P2, and it was MUCH warmer, almost hot. I would worry about the electronics inside degrading with that much continuous heat.

I don't want to reverse their positions and put the RT31P2 on top of my wireless router, as it would partially block its antennas.

What I don't like about my RT31P2 is:
1. It runs very warm/hot.
2. It's much larger than a PAP2-T. The PAP2-T form factor would work much better for my cramped space.
3. It uses more energy to run than a PAP2-T. I hooked up my Kill-A-Watt device to the RT31P2, and it idles at 7 watts and operates at 8 watts. From what I found on the Internet, the PAP2-T only uses 5 watts. (My old voip company's device, a Grandstream 286 only used 1 watt!)
4. It has a big honkin', heavy AC adapter. I'm not sure how big the adapter is on the PAP2-T, but I'd be very surprised if it were anywhere near this size.

Can I get a PAP2-T sent to me instead? I think I'd be much happier with one of those instead of my RT31P2. Please let me know, Tim. Thanks.

voipinit
09-14-2009, 09:29 AM
I think I'm in the minority here, but I don't like mine.

I have a wireless Linksys router, so I put the RT31P2 underneath it, as they're designed to stack upon each other.

After a few hours of use, I thought I got a whiff of some kind of hot plastic smell.

Linksys products have never been designed to stack as far as heat dissipation goes. The heat is compounded when devices are on top of each other. Yes, you can get a way with it if you have a cool room, but most residences are not cool enough. Separate them and you should be good. You do have a point as far as electrical consumption, though.

gls101
09-14-2009, 10:21 AM
What I don't like about my RT31P2 is:
1. It runs very warm/hot.
2. It's much larger than a PAP2-T. The PAP2-T form factor would work much better for my cramped space.
3. It uses more energy to run than a PAP2-T. I hooked up my Kill-A-Watt device to the RT31P2, and it idles at 7 watts and operates at 8 watts. From what I found on the Internet, the PAP2-T only uses 5 watts. (My old voip company's device, a Grandstream 286 only used 1 watt!)

I have a Voipo PAP2T, another PAP2, a SPA3102 and a SPA2000 in a stack. I recently unplugged the SPA's, but when they were all hooked up, I literally burned myself when I grabbed the PAP2T (Second from the top). They were running so hot that I hooked up a Rotron fan behind them in the rack. They are in an un-air conditioned garage (in the summer - in Florida :) )

I haven't checked the power consumption, but I have noticed that they run VERY warm even when mounted individually. They come with a small switching-type power adapter, so, at least the power supply doesn't waste a lot of power.

I realize it wouldn't help with the space issue, but if the power adapter is really big and heavy, it's probably not a switching power supply, so it more than likely wastes a fair amount of energy. Just changing to a properly rated switcher would probably help reduce power consumption.

Gary

rx100
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't know whether it has something to do with this rt31 hardware, but I would like to report the following issue.

Yesterday I missed a call and the call went to VM and the caller left a vm. From then on the phone will ring once every few minutes.I rebooted the rt31 and still had the same problem. Finally I deleted the VM and from then on phone stopped ringing.

VOIPoTim
09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't know whether it has something to do with this rt31 hardware, but I would like to report the following issue.

Yesterday I missed a call and the call went to VM and the caller left a vm. From then on the phone will ring once every few minutes.I rebooted the rt31 and still had the same problem. Finally I deleted the VM and from then on phone stopped ringing.

Yes, that's actually a feature they offer to alert you of new voicemail. Kind of like MWI.

We can disable that if you guys don't like it.

rx100
09-14-2009, 02:52 PM
I would like to turn it off.

My 3 year old was taking her nap yesterday afternoon and the phone kept ringing. I think MWI is the way to go.

fisamo
09-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if the user 1 and user 2 tabs are open in the PAP2T as provisioned by Voipo, but the PAP2T also has the "MWI splash ring" option (short ring of the phone about once every 30 min when VMbox has new messages). I've found that most providers have that feature disabled (per general user preference), but if the folks at Voipo get bored, they could add the option to toggle it in the "Advanced device settings" page. ;)

Russell
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Yes, that's actually a feature they offer to alert you of new voicemail. Kind of like MWI.

We can disable that if you guys don't like it.

I absolutely love the splash ring. It's the only way to get the family at home realize that there is voice-mail which needs attention. I do agree much as I love it others will hate is as passionately. Seems an optional setting should keep all happy.

Russell
09-14-2009, 08:39 PM
First issue to report. The RT31P2 seems to have frozen. Phone leds were dark. Internet light was on, but my computer stopped accessing the internet. I couldn't connect to http://192.168.15.1 - browser hung. Removing and restoring power to the RT31P2 fixed the issue.

If folks are wondering ... the RT31P2 is plugged into an old wireless router and other laptops connected to the wireless router were functioning fine. Luckily, the PAP2T was also connected to the wireless router through an ethernet port and it was working fine too.

Just a report.

Russell
09-22-2009, 08:41 PM
RT31P2. I press 3# (one of my speed dials - or whatever the right VOIPo term for it is) and get a high pitched tone. I can dial numbers fine. PAP2T (also connected) shows no problem with the speed dial. Note: I've had this speed dial in place almost as long as I've had VOIPo. Looking at call history, it appears that the speed dial worked on Sunday.

VOIPoTim
09-24-2009, 04:04 PM
We have a decent number of these in production now (have for a few weeks actually) with no issues so it's not necessary to test them now. If you had one for testing, you can keep it.

We have been mixing these in with PAP2s once we completed all the internal testing a few weeks ago (sent out as many as 25 RT31P2s per day sometimes) so there's enough out there to have a solid sample.

Haven't had any issues with them.

Thanks for everyone offering to help and for providing the feedback you did in this thread.

Russell
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Appreciate the gift of the RT31P2.

chpalmer
09-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks Tim!

Guess the inevitable question... Will you keep the ones we have on the server you guys had them on or will that change?

Can we still get support to make changes for us on them?

;)

Russell
09-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Thanks Tim!

Guess the inevitable question... Will you keep the ones we have on the server you guys had them on or will that change?

Can we still get support to make changes for us on them?

;)
I guess what Tim would like to do is stop supporting them completely and give folks the admin passwords so you now have an unlocked device to play with. Those devices will have the same status of any other independent device as far as being allowed to connect to the network. This will be fair to VOIPo. Anything else will be extremely gracious of Tim and I don't expect it - getting the device is bonus enough, thank you.

usa2k
09-25-2009, 08:09 AM
We have been mixing these in with PAP2s once we completed all the internal testing a few weeks ago (sent out as many as 25 RT31P2s per day sometimes) so there's enough out there to have a solid sample.

Are you letting customers know the type of device they are getting? There may be people wanting to run behind their own router, and getting a router style ATA could feel like a bad match.

Are they as small as a PAP2T?

B2ntx
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Are you letting customers know the type of device they are getting? There may be people wanting to run behind their own router, and getting a router style ATA could feel like a bad match.

The RT31P2 is much larger than a PAP2T. I'm a new subscriber and I unexpectedly received the RT31P2 last week (I was expecting a PAP2T).

The RT31P2 does give me the flexibility to put it either between my DSL modem and router or just behind my router. (I installed it behind my router and it came up just fine. I did have to get a bit of help from Cody yesterday to adjust the ports it uses, as they were apparently conflicting with my soon-to-go-away CallVantage ATA. The symptom was that the RT31P2 was periodically deregistering. That has now abated.)

I like the idea of having the flexibility of positioning an ATA on either side of the router depending upon current circumstances and I got used to it as a result of using the CallVantage ATA.

However, the RT31P2 is a brick (no, make that a cinder block!) compared to the PAP2T. Portability of the ATA is a big deal for me. I don't need to move it often, but I do move between a couple of residences periodically and I do travel. Support for nomadic service was a big reason I chose VoIPo and I would much rather have a very compact ATA with a very small AC adapter.

I'm more worried about getting my CallVantage number ported and getting the VoIPo service configured in a way that works for me right now, but I will be talking to VoIPo about a smaller ATA pretty soon.

B2nTX

VOIPoTim
09-25-2009, 01:09 PM

Right now we're sending out RTs exclusively for a while except as returns come in and we have PAP2s, we send those out right away.

The nice thing about the RT is that it can go either way and works fine behind the router (basically identical to PAP2 in that sense) or can be put in front.

It gives us a lot of flexibility and reduces support loads since it can go in front. It also allows us to recover a lot of the $ lost on the Grandstream recall since we traded all the Grandstreams we had still to another provider in CA that had RTs and preferred Grandstreams.

It's the size of a standard Linksys WRT router.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-RT31P2-Router-Internet-Service/dp/B0002V8KWM

usa2k
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Glad they are working so well. Sounds like you have a good supply on hand to send that many exclusively. The logistics of growing fast likely keeps you guys on your toes with supply and demand.

chpalmer
09-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I guess what Tim would like to do is stop supporting them completely and give folks the admin passwords so you now have an unlocked device to play with. Those devices will have the same status of any other independent device as far as being allowed to connect to the network. This will be fair to VOIPo. Anything else will be extremely gracious of Tim and I don't expect it - getting the device is bonus enough, thank you.

Guess Ill reword my question...

My point is that it would seem to me that those of us running two Voipo supported ATA's during this test would need to make a choice as to which one we would want to continue to run. Its only fair. Id like to rely on the guys to continue to config the RT31P2 and use the PAP2 as my BYOD box for traveling testing or just messing around... I wanted to make sure this was Tims intention. A later post by Tim here has answered part of this...

I believe now I can ask them to make the same config changes to the RT31P2 that they made to my PAP2 ie time zone, both my numbers on same ATA ect... so I can unplug the pap2.

chpalmer
09-28-2009, 08:13 AM
Anyone running these things notice the lan lights blinking constant traffic during a phone call? I dont remember my last one doing this nor this one at first for that matter...

Wonder if there is a bridge mode or similar setting...

No biggee just curious... :cool:

VOIPoTim
09-28-2009, 04:08 PM
Yes, they'll stay assigned to your accounts in our system and support can change them for you just like any other provisioned device.

rx100
10-03-2009, 03:34 PM
So how to get my pap2 unlocked so that I can play around with it/convert to a byod?