PDA

View Full Version : Softphone Questions

Darrena
06-20-2009, 10:17 AM
I am new to VOIPO and I have a couple of questions regarding the Softphone option:
1) Does it support ZRTP or SRTP?
2) Can I use the softphone without dropping the ATA? For example I am on the road and want to call home or someplace else without disconnecting the phone at the house
3) Are there any specific codecs it supports?

Thank you!

Darrena
06-20-2009, 10:30 AM
I can partially answer my own questions I think:
1) Authentication Digest authentication but the servers did not seem to support SRTP or ZRTP. Not a huge deal as long as digest is used to not send my password in the clear.
2) I can run the softphone and the ATA stays registered but I can't seem to call home. It connects but no audio. This might be because I am testing from the same location as the ATA though. I also can't seem to call my number from my cell when connected with the softphone.
3) I was able to register with G.711 and G.722 but not with GSM so the higher bitrate codecs work but I need to find something equivalent to GSM for when I am on the road.

Added question, is the softphone blocked overseas?

Thanks!

Xponder1
06-20-2009, 06:15 PM
2) I can run the softphone and the ATA stays registered but I can't seem to call home. It connects but no audio. This might be because I am testing from the same location as the ATA though. I also can't seem to call my number from my cell when connected with the softphone.

Thanks!

My guess is your connected to the wrong server.
I run X-Lite 24x7. My ATA stays connected. You must connect to the EXACT same server your ATA connects to. I just called out using X-Lite to the home number and it works fine. Could also be a routing issue (perhaps your softphone needs configured to use a different port) your having but I promise your situation is not the norm.

VOIPoTim
06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
We've made a few changes to how we handle softphones recently. As far as your questions...

One your account is fully activated (you've connected the adapter we sent you), you can get the SIP information in vPanel under Features - Advanced - Softphone.

We do not support ZRTP or SRTP and only support the G.711 codec.

When you're connected to it using the info in vPanel, it won't disconnect your home ATA. Incoming calls would ring both and the first to answer would get the call.

You are able to use it overseas, but only to call TO the US/Canada. We do not support calling TO international numbers unless you're using our provided ATA.

As far as being able to use them in the same location, that really depends on your router and if it can handle multiple devices behind it.

dbmaven
06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Tim -

I was under the impression that for the softphone to work properly, you had to configure it with the same connection info as your ATA.

So, for example, if your server preferences are set to "East", then the sip connection in the softphone should be 'east01.voipwelcome.com'.

Just a bit confused, since my softphone has been working this way for a long time....and it works with the 'softphone' option in vPanel set to 'disabled' ?

Russell
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Tim -

I was under the impression that for the softphone to work properly, you had to configure it with the same connection info as your ATA.

So, for example, if your server preferences are set to "East", then the sip connection in the softphone should be 'east01.voipwelcome.com'.

Just a bit confused, since my softphone has been working this way for a long time....and it works with the 'softphone' option in vPanel set to 'disabled' ?
This is the new model. The old config still works to ensure you're not broken.

VOIPoTim
06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Tim -

I still haven't posted the full long explanation, but here's the quick version.

We've tried to find a way to balance things so that softphones/BYOD could fit into the mix. Even though we had stopped offering BYOD service, there was no clean way to deal with softphones without doing a proprietary one since people would just take the credentials and try to use them in something else. There is massive fraud with BYOD/Softphones but there are some legit uses for it as well, so it was a constant battle to stay on top of it without just banning it.

What we ended up doing was setting up a special server that is more locked down security wise and it's being dedicated to only BYOD. When a user activates the Softphone/BYOD option in their vPanel, it creates SIP credentials on the new BYOD server that they can use. When it's "disabled", the credentials are removed from that server and regenerated the next time it's enabled.

It is isolated from the rest of our network so it's not going to impact our core servers or primary SIP servers if someone does something bad on it. It's also significanlty more locked down and supports domestic calling to US/Canada ONLY. 99.9999% of fraud is with international calling. Since our primary service is delivered using the ATA and the BYOD/Softphone option is not meant for someone's primary use, international not being available on it should be fine. If a BYOD user makes a lot of international calls, chances are they will be savvy enough to route them through another provider anyway. Our international rates are competitive with traditional VoIP services, but if they're extremely savvy they'll find cheaper rates with some other BYOD providers.

Some older users have credentials for our primary SIP servers. If you already have these, they will continue to work, but we're not giving any out at all from this point on. The only credentials for any purpose that will be released are the seperate BYOD/Softphone ones found in vPanel.

The BYOD credentials will ONLY work on the BYOD server. The main credentials will only work on our core servers.

The system was implemented in a way that will allow you to register to both without issues. So if you have an ATA connected/provisioned at home and you connect with a softphone to the BYOD system, that's fine. Incoming calls would ring both and the first to answer would get the call.

Ultimately we think this will let us become a little more BYOD friendly while at the same time keeping things secure and contiuing to focus on our provisioned service as the main element.

Let me know if there are any questions.

dbmaven
06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Great explanation - thank you very much.

fisamo
06-26-2009, 02:44 PM
In addition to 'great explanation' I'll also add that this approach seems to be very well thought out. In creating a relatively isolated 'sandbox' for BYOD use, you really do capture the best of both worlds. As you described, locking out international calling on the 'sandbox' should not affect power BYOD users (who would route via someone else) and should have little impact on 'legitimate' BYOD/softphone use. The biggest potential problem I foresee with this setup is the user who travels internationally and would want to use their service from their hotel room to call down the street. At some level, though, you have to set your limits. I think the line you've drawn is reasonable.

That being said, which server(s) is/are best for grandfathered customers to use?

Thanks...

Russell
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
The biggest potential problem I foresee with this setup is the user who travels internationally and would want to use their service from their hotel room to call down the street. At some level, though, you have to set your limits.
Thanks...
Last summer we were in London and in a similar situation. I was with a different provider. However, I had / have Future-Nine for international calling installed on the phone - silly though it may seem, at 1c a minute to call down the street it was a lot less expensive than the hotel phone. Just as Tim has said - if you're going to be doing international calling there are less expensive options.

Darrena
06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
We've made a few changes to how we handle softphones recently. As far as your questions...

One your account is fully activated (you've connected the adapter we sent you), you can get the SIP information in vPanel under Features - Advanced - Softphone.

We do not support ZRTP or SRTP and only support the G.711 codec.

When you're connected to it using the info in vPanel, it won't disconnect your home ATA. Incoming calls would ring both and the first to answer would get the call.

You are able to use it overseas, but only to call TO the US/Canada. We do not support calling TO international numbers unless you're using our provided ATA.

As far as being able to use them in the same location, that really depends on your router and if it can handle multiple devices behind it.

Strange, when I tested this is caused my home ATA to drop but that could be my router, I'll test with my aircard tonight. Is there any hope in getting a lower bandwidth codec for mobile users?

Thanks!

Russell
06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Strange, when I tested this is caused my home ATA to drop but that could be my router, I'll test with my aircard tonight. Is there any hope in getting a lower bandwidth codec for mobile users?

Thanks!
Yes, I too had strange behavior this morning when I used the official softphone/BYOD information from vPanel. I was too busy to narrow it down.