PDA

View Full Version : now in-band DTMF doesn't work with voipo voicemail?

sommerfeld
07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
shortly after signing up with voipo we noticed that people my wife called were hearing spurious touch-tones (apparently this happens a bunch for female voices, rarely or never for male voices. a "this never happens to me" response from men to this thread is not helpful).

That went away when I used vpanel to change the DTMF method (under features/preferences/advanced) to "in-band" from the default. This worked fine for a while -- we use a wide variety of touch-tone driven voice response systems and they all worked fine.

We just got back from a vacation and found that the voipo voice mail system was completely unresponsive to touch-tone input. That went away when I changed the DTMF method back, but now she's presumably going to have the spurious touch tones again.

Anyone else who uses in-band DTMF have it not work with voipo's voice mail recently?

Update: if it matters, I think we were just moved from "central" to the new "west" server.

ptrowski
07-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Looking at it I was moved back to auto instead of inband. I was wondering why some tones had popped up again.

VOIPoTim
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
This is now fixed.

We are doing DTMF conversions for customers on Inband when accessing voicemail since inband is not directly compatible with it. When we added new nodes recently, we forgot to add in the new IPs to the flag, so the inband calls originating from new ones were not being intercepted and converted.

jlucovsky
08-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I've had an issue for nearly 2 months now that has yet to be solved (#MBS-475699).

On both of my voipo lines, key presses are sometimes missed, sometimes repeated both when dialing numbers (7 or 10 digit) and when entering account numbers, SSN, or anything else to an IVR system.

Frustrating, to say the least.

VOIPoTim
08-17-2009, 07:25 AM
I've had an issue for nearly 2 months now that has yet to be solved (#MBS-475699).

On both of my voipo lines, key presses are sometimes missed, sometimes repeated both when dialing numbers (7 or 10 digit) and when entering account numbers, SSN, or anything else to an IVR system.

Frustrating, to say the least.

This ticket was no longer open and had notes that you were contacted to let you that the tech working on it had determined it was likely either the phone or house wiring. It doesn't sound like that happened, so I'm not sure where the breakdown was there.

I'll have someone double check again today, but according to the notes they've tried every possible DTMF setting possible on the adapter so that means it basically has to be the phone or the house wiring since it "repeats" DTMF digits no matter what setting is used.

Either way, I'll have another Tier II tech check on it and update, but based on notes, it doesn't sound like there's much else we can do.

If that's the case and you'd like to choose an alternate service that uses a different device, we can extend our guarantee.

jlucovsky
08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Tim,
Thanks for the quick response. I've had other VoIP services (ATT Callvantage, Vonage) and I've never had this issue with them or with landline service. It also happens on multiple phones (corded, cordless) and both of my phone lines. I'm open to trying a different device and have the ATA from Callvantage but I'm not sure how to get it setup.

-jeff

VOIPoTim
08-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Tim,
Thanks for the quick response. I've had other VoIP services (ATT Callvantage, Vonage) and I've never had this issue with them or with landline service. It also happens on multiple phones (corded, cordless) and both of my phone lines. I'm open to trying a different device and have the ATA from Callvantage but I'm not sure how to get it setup.

-jeff

Do you have it connected to the house wiring or are the phones plugged directly into the adapter?

jlucovsky
08-17-2009, 08:42 AM
All of my phones are connected to house wiring. The adapter is in a closet downstairs with the cable modem. I've had this same setup for 9 years (phones, wiring, setup) and never had an issue before

VOIPoTim
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
All of my phones are connected to house wiring. The adapter is in a closet downstairs with the cable modem. I've had this same setup for 9 years (phones, wiring, setup) and never had an issue before

Can you try connecting a phone directly to it just to test it?

According to the notes they think something is interfering to cause the digits to repeat so it could be another device connected to the wiring.

Hawkmeister
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Tim,

I've intermittently had this issue too. I dial into many conference bridges that require 7-12 digits for passcodes. Because it happens infrequently, I never logged a ticket. In most cases, it did sense an extra digit repeated that caused me to re-enter the passcode.

It sounds like i have a similar setup to Jeff. However, I can easily directly attach my office phone (that experiences the issue) to the ATA on line 1 (by itself). Then, the other wiring (to the rest of house) to line 2. I'll let you know how it works.

Craig

VOIPoTim
08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Tim,

I've intermittently had this issue too. I dial into many conference bridges that require 7-12 digits for passcodes. Because it happens infrequently, I never logged a ticket. In most cases, it did sense an extra digit repeated that caused me to re-enter the passcode.

It sounds like i have a similar setup to Jeff. However, I can easily directly attach my office phone (that experiences the issue) to the ATA on line 1 (by itself). Then, the other wiring (to the rest of house) to line 2. I'll let you know how it works.

Craig

I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding of why it can affect it is that the PAP2 only has so much voltage that it pushes out and when there's a lot of wiring or a several devices connected, the voltage is more spread out and while voice is pretty forgiving, the DTMF tones are more prone to breakups, etc.