PDA

View Full Version : Voicemail not picking up from BYOD/softphone

ropeguru
07-19-2009, 07:14 AM
I am not sure if this is an issue with my setup or on your end. I recently enabled the BYOD/softphone option on my account. This morning I noticed that when a call came in my phone did not ring. So I tried dialing a regular number and it went through fine. I then tried to dial voicemail to check on the issue that was discussed in an earlier thread. Dialing *123 never connected to voicemail.

This makes me think there may be some disconnect between the BYOD/softphone server and the rest of the systems.

My setup is a little different as I am using a Cisco 7960 IP phone with the SIP firmware loaded. I do not have the latest yet as I am waiting on my Smartnet contract to finish processing.

gbh2o
07-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I believe you'll find a posting from Tim indicating that the BYOD server(s) is(are) isolated from the rest of the system for security and containment reasons. They decided to allow limited BYOD play for the bulk of the general population, while preventing any possible damage to the main network. There really are valid risks to consider!

ropeguru
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I believe you'll find a posting from Tim indicating that the BYOD server(s) is(are) isolated from the rest of the system for security and containment reasons. They decided to allow limited BYOD play for the bulk of the general population, while preventing any possible damage to the main network. There really are valid risks to consider!

I agree completely with them doing the isolation to protect themselves and have absolutely no problem with it. However, I would have not brought this up if this morning my BYOD phone did not ring when the regular did and that on Thursday night and Friday the *123 worked as it does on my main line and now it doesn't.

I am not bitching, just thought it strange and I think they were working on some additional servers during the week last week. Just wanted to kind of prompt to see if maybe something might have broken in the process.

VOIPoBrandon
07-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Hello,

Please see if you are continuing to have any issues accessing voicemail when connected to our byod network, thanks!

ropeguru
07-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Hello,

Please see if you are continuing to have any issues accessing voicemail when connected to our byod network, thanks!

Working perfectly now from my 7960... Must have updated something...

VOIPoTim
07-19-2009, 07:36 PM
We tripled the voicemail node this weekend to accommodate additional load. We opened up VM access to the new nodes for the BYOD server and this likely fixed it for you.

June & July (so far) have been record months so the load on our systems went up quite a bit and VM node needed some upgrades.

Along the same lines, we've spent the majority of this week working on capacity upgrades across the board.

With the maintenance from Tuesday night and a few changes we made this weekend, we've essentially tripled capacity (at least) on all portions of our system including adding new servers to each SIP node, voicemail nodes, etc.

We're also now running 100% on 1000Mbit ports to both the public and private network on all servers (currently 34 servers active).