PDA

View Full Version : BETA Feature: SIP Accounts

VOIPoTim
07-24-2009, 05:41 AM
You can now create SIP Accounts on the VOIPo network to use with SIP softphones and devices.

To route an Express number to a SIP account, simply put the sip username in the destination field.

Voicemail and voicemail ring count will work normally with this.

These SIP account are on our BYOD server and are enabled for you to accept incoming calls on VOIPo Express numbers only. We are not offering outbound calling with them at this time.

Information can be found under BETA - SIP Accounts in your vPanel.

Please let us know if you find any bugs.

fisamo
07-24-2009, 10:08 AM
That's very interesting. I'll check it out and let you know what I find... So far, I've been routing incoming calls directly to my * system as inbound-route@my.dynamichost.com. I would guess that having an internal account to register with may help with filtering anonymous SIP requests... How (if at all) would this affect billing? Does sip forwarding count against the bucket of minutes? Are sip-forwarded calls (overage) charged at a different rate? Is there a billing advantage for in-network sip forwarding?

(I don't recall the resolution of the original question of how forwarding to sip destinations is billed.)

Thanks.

fisamo
07-24-2009, 11:01 AM
VERY preliminary testing, will look into the feature more when I get home:

Before a SIP account is created, the message on vpanel is:

Currently there are no setup sip accounts setup.

Please remove the first "setup". :)

Entering an invalid SIP URL is caught, but instead of a nice error message, vpanel gives a cleared screen with the message "Exception Caught! Invalid SIP URL."

More testing later...

VOIPoTim
07-25-2009, 04:02 AM
That's very interesting. I'll check it out and let you know what I find... So far, I've been routing incoming calls directly to my * system as inbound-route@my.dynamichost.com. I would guess that having an internal account to register with may help with filtering anonymous SIP requests... How (if at all) would this affect billing? Does sip forwarding count against the bucket of minutes? Are sip-forwarded calls (overage) charged at a different rate? Is there a billing advantage for in-network sip forwarding?

(I don't recall the resolution of the original question of how forwarding to sip destinations is billed.)

Thanks.

I don't want to get into it yet, but we're announcing new per-minute pricing for Express that factors SIP in in the very near future.

Currently there's no difference in pricing regardless of whether it's sent to SIP or PSTN.

fisamo
07-25-2009, 06:06 AM
I don't want to get into it yet, but we're announcing new per-minute pricing for Express that factors SIP in in the very near future.

Currently there's no difference in pricing regardless of whether it's sent to SIP or PSTN.

Fair enough. I look forward to the news. :)

VOIPoTim
07-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Has anyone else tried this out?

gbh2o
07-28-2009, 06:44 AM
Has anyone else tried this out?

Sorry to be so slow on testing this feature, but was traveling.

I had no problems with it. Works as advertised, so far!

Edited to add: BTW, is there a chance that Express will get a "Device" monitoring capability like the one for Residential? Might be helpful for use with the sip targets.

bwyatt
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
These SIP account are on our BYOD server and are enabled for you to accept incoming calls on VOIPo Express numbers only. We are not offering outbound calling with them at this time.

Tim:

I posted a question in the unofficial BYOD board and now find mention of it here. I have an express account, but intend to purchase a residential account now that I've learned you're able to port my local number. However, I really want to be able to use a softphone when I travel. Does the residential account allow both inbound and outbound or is inbound the only option regardless of the type of account?

VOIPoTim
08-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Tim:

I posted a question in the unofficial BYOD board and now find mention of it here. I have an express account, but intend to purchase a residential account now that I've learned you're able to port my local number. However, I really want to be able to use a softphone when I travel. Does the residential account allow both inbound and outbound or is inbound the only option regardless of the type of account?

The residential allows both and you can use a softphone.

bwyatt
08-24-2009, 08:52 PM
The residential allows both and you can use a softphone.

Tim:

Thanks for your quick response.

Now that I'm getting the hang of the setup here, I'm wondering... I've got 6 phone lines I'd like to have you port. Can I do this through one residential account, or will it require 6 separate accounts? It's my understanding I will have to keep my express account in order to maintain my toll free number forwarding, and open a separate residential account to access an inbound and outbound softphone.

VOIPoTim
08-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Tim:

Thanks for your quick response.

Now that I'm getting the hang of the setup here, I'm wondering... I've got 6 phone lines I'd like to have you port. Can I do this through one residential account, or will it require 6 separate accounts? It's my understanding I will have to keep my express account in order to maintain my toll free number forwarding, and open a separate residential account to access an inbound and outbound softphone.

The residential account basically is a line so it includes one number. If you need to be able to use all the lines at the same time, you'd need multiple residential accounts.

If you just want the numbers to all ring through to the main line you could set them up as "virtual numbers" for $3.95/Mo or $24/Yr each.

bwyatt
08-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Got it.

Thanks!

Stormwind
03-15-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm experiencing a problem with the Express service and the beta SIP forwarding, specifically one way voice. See http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=2265 for more info.

Thanks!