PDA

View Full Version : Service is down

ksarpong
07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Service has been down the whole morning, at least since 7AM EST when I first realized it. When I dial my phone number, I get a message that you've reached a non-working number. I try calling your support line, 949-829-4200, and I get the same message.
Control panel is also not accessible. I get the following error message when I try to access the site:
"Fatal error: Call to a member function fetch_assoc() on a non-object in /home/secure/public_html/include/classes/defines.class.php on line 7"

:mad::mad:

Hawkmeister
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Down for me too. I placed a ticket via the main website. Could not launch VPanel either.

P.S. I'm in Maryland.

Brody
07-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Back up now, for me. I did get the "not a working number" for about an hour this morning, though...

VOIPoTim
07-27-2009, 07:20 AM
There was an issue with our database cluster causing this. This has been resolved now. We're still investigating the cause.

ksarpong
07-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Yea, the issues are now resolved. I'm also on the east coast, New York to be precise.

Thanks.

VOIPoTim
07-27-2009, 07:35 AM
FWIW, I have had numerous instances of the "number is disconnected" messages on my VoIPo EXpress line over the past couple of weeks. Some lasted for hours, and then just resolved themselves. Support tickets were opened, but no real resolution... the tickets got closed. :confused:

Dan

Dan,

Could you PM me your ticket numbers so I can look into this more for you later today?

That's not normal with Express at all. We run HostGator and thousands of other clients on that service so there definitely aren't constant outages with it.

Since there's no adapter involved it's not a router issue or something like that, so it sounds like there could be something more going on with the number in question if you're seeing regular issues.

samham
07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Tim,

Could you confirm the duration of this outage (I'm showing 02:33:51am-09:07:12am) and will you be issuing refunds for the outage minutes?

Sam

olaf
07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Glad it's up again. One thing that concerns me with this outage is that it seems to show that all methods failed simultaneously: incoming call routing, voicemail and simul ring, which I currently have enabled. There is a single point of failure for all three? That doesn't make me happy. I can put up with a few short outages if they go to voicemail and/or are forwarded.

ptrowski
07-27-2009, 10:59 AM
For me it was phones, Vpanel, and the forums here plus having support not online or taking calls.

kevm
07-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I agree with the above. This looked like some sort of catastrophic failure that caused V panel, the forums, The website and the service itself to fail. I started reading about it on broadband reports about 8am this morning.

ptrowski
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with the above. This looked like some sort of catastrophic failure that caused V panel, the forums, The website and the service itself to fail. I started reading about it on broadband reports about 8am this morning.

That was what I was wondering. Nothing worked at all.

gbh2o
07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
FWIW Tim, PBXes reported my 25262xxxx founders residential trunk down ( for more than 10 minutes) at 0813 and that it was restored at 0907.

tritch
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Glad it's up again. One thing that concerns me with this outage is that it seems to show that all methods failed simultaneously: incoming call routing, voicemail and simul ring, which I currently have enabled. There is a single point of failure for all three? That doesn't make me happy. I can put up with a few short outages if they go to voicemail and/or are forwarded.

Olaf, you make a very good point. Everything going down is not good....not good at all....not even failover.:eek:

Russell
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Olaf, you make a very good point. Everything going down is not good....not good at all....not even failover.:eek:

Unfortunately, for me the wife discovered from work that our number was disconnected / no longer in service. This was after she attempted making a call from home earlier in the morning. Not good from a WAF standpoint.

Russell
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Tim,

Could you confirm the duration of this outage (I'm showing 02:33:51am-09:07:12am) and will you be issuing refunds for the outage minutes?

Sam

Quite frankly I don't think refunds are needed - as little as most of us are paying for the service.

kbuck320
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Agreed. No refunds necessary. Or, take whatever money you'd think should be refunded and pour it into making sure this never happens again.

Xponder1
07-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Quite frankly I don't think refunds are needed - as little as most of us are paying for the service.

This ^. We do not need a refund. If you can not deal with a little down time you need a pots line.

burris
07-28-2009, 04:20 AM
This ^. We do not need a refund. If you can not deal with a little down time you need a pots line.

Not only do I agree with you, but even POTS has problems.

About 3-4 days ago, my friends, knowing my background, call me whenever anything goes crazy with their phone service. These are people who wouldn't think of VOIP. I tried..
Sure enough, ATT/BellSouth was having problems where calls would not connect. It was short lived, but I did not see hundreds of posts anywhere complaining or asking for a 10 cent refund..:rolleyes:

ptrowski
07-28-2009, 07:23 AM

About 3-4 days ago, my friends, knowing my background, call me whenever anything goes crazy with their phone service. These are people who wouldn't think of VOIP. I tried..
Sure enough, ATT/BellSouth was having problems where calls would not connect. It was short lived, but I did not see hundreds of posts anywhere complaining or asking for a 10 cent refund..:rolleyes:

I think Bellsouth has been out of beta a bit longer than Voipo.

Xponder1
07-28-2009, 07:32 AM

I switched from AT&T to COX for internet after my neighbor destroyed my drop by having our fence redone and they refused to come fix it for 2 weeks. Oh, and dont bother with asking for credit for time w/o service because they just lie to you and you never get anything.

bubbanc
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
So was the cause of the issue with the database clustering failure ever determined?

GeekJedi
07-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Tim,

Sam

Based on some rough calculations, you were out for 394 minutes. I don't know what plan you're on, but for the ease of calculating, let's just say you're paying $10 month. I suppose if it means that much to you, VOIPo could issue you your refund of $0.089 for the minutes your phone was down.

Should they send you a check? ;)

scott2020
07-30-2009, 09:53 AM
When the city cut my father's cable TV line (phone, TV, internet all in one) Charter didn't come out to fix it for 4 days. They have no intention of giving a thought about a refund. Their attitude is you should be happy we came to fix it so quickly...

I understand VOIP outages are going to happen, but my concern like others here is that no failover happened. If my service is down for a number of hours I'd rather people calling me get a voicemail box, or even just ringing. If people hear my number has been disconnected it causes many more issues.

ptrowski
07-30-2009, 09:55 AM
When the city cut my father's cable TV line (phone, TV, internet all in one) Charter didn't come out to fix it for 4 days. They have no intention of giving a thought about a refund. Their attitude is you should be happy we came to fix it so quickly...

I understand VOIP outages are going to happen, but my concern like others here is that no failover happened. If my service is down for a number of hours I'd rather people calling me get a voicemail box, or even just ringing. If people hear my number has been disconnected it causes many more issues.

That's the tough part though. If the actual provider is down, there is not a way AFAIK for that to happen. The calls can't connect to anything, hence the fast busy, wrong number etc that I heard the other day. I received different messaegs depending on what line was used to call.

christcorp
07-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Tim,

Sam

THE FOLLOWING OPINION IS NOT ENDORSED BY VOIPO!!!!!!

I tell you what. The most expensive plan; month to month is $15. Throw on another $3 that month for tax, title and 1st born child. While I'm at it, because I'm lazy right now; I'll throw another $2 into the total to make it an even $20 for a month's service.

$20 divided by 31 days in July equals $0.65 per day.
$0.65 divided by 24 hours in a day is $0.03 per hour for you to use the phone.
I'll round off an say the outage was for 7 hours.

SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL PERSONALLY SEND YOU $0.21. (The damn stamp is going to cost me more than that).

Sorry for being a prick, but I've been involved with voip for many years. And it NEVER EVER ceases to amaze me when a glitch happens; even for a couple of hours; that the whining, bitching, and complaining starts. For God's sakes; it's a freaking phone. So what if the phone doesn't work every once in a while. If it's that important to you, get a POTS line. Have a cell for backup. Stop being such a geek with the technology and realize that it's just a tool to make your life a little easier. With 365 days in a year; that's 8760 hours. If the system broke for 87.6 hours (3 days and 12 hours NON-STOP); the uptime rate would still be 99%. What the hell do people expect from a company.

Now you know why I'm an engineer and not in Public Relations. Sorry for going ballistic, but I've been listening to this same crap for EVERY SINGLE VOIP PROVIDER on the planet. And YES, they all have had their days on occasion. Vonage, Packet8, Sunrocket, Callcentric, ALL OF THEM. Oh good lord!!!!! Time to get another beer and go watch "So you think you can Dance". Argggggggggggggg Later... Mike....

ptrowski
07-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Jesus Mike relax....
So someone asked, big deal.

christcorp
07-31-2009, 07:53 AM
ski; we've been in the voip world together for quite a number of years. I truly respect you; both personally and your technical input. I even consider you an "Online Friend". Whatever that means. LOL!!! ;)

But lets be real here. It's not even just the money. Customers of ALL PROVIDERS go through the whole complaining process every time the provider has a glitch. Everything from complaining to wanting to know if there's a better provider out there to move to. It's gets VERY VERY FRUSTRATING! Especially considering that most of the people have no concept of perspective. Here is the perspective. Do whatever people want with it.

1. There's 8760 hours in a year. If the provider was down for 87.6 hours (3 days 15 hours NON-STOP); they'd still have an uptime rate of 99%
2. Those 87.6 hours of downtime is equal to 7.3 hours per month for 12 months.
3. For every 3 months that go by without an outage; in theory; the provider could be down for 24 hours and still maintain that 99% uptime rate.
4. VoipO; and probably the vast majority of voip providers don't come anywhere close to being down those types of numbers. Most, including VoipO, is probably closer to the 99.9% uptime rate.
5. Even at the highest month-to-month voip plan; the price is approximately 1/3 that of a POTS line. $20 vs $60 a month.
6. At the NORMAL type voip plans with specials; voip prices are closer to 1/4 of POTS. $15 vs $60.
7. Some people's expectations are very unrealistic. If a provider had a 99% uptime rate; meaning DOWN for a total of 87.6 hours, they would be one of the WORST voip providers available. And yet that's a 99% uptime rate. Complaining about BETTER than that is UNREALISTIC.

I will definitely try and "Cool my Jets"; but the vast majority of voip customers; of any provider; needs to put their voip usage, voip provider, price, and total down time into perspective and stop whining because the service went down for a couple of hours. Especially when it's a rare occasion and not the norm. later... mike....

ptrowski
07-31-2009, 09:07 AM
aww shucks Mike, you will make a guy blush.
I understand 110% where you are coming from, and some of the guys made the point above. Would I ask for a refund on 2 hours out of a year so far? Not me personally, but it never hurts to ask for something.

Don't ask for something and you would never receive anything.

scott2020
07-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I would never want a refund for any outage, and I love VOIPo's service and reliability. I have tried many providers and settled on VOIPo because of their support and reliability. I only wonder that if the entire VOIPo infrastructure goes down, are there other options besides "disconnect" messages or "number out of service" type of things. Maybe upstream carriers can do something with VOIPo or whatever. I doubt that the world will come to an end if a caller gets strange messages for a short time, at least it would not for me. I accept the general internet-based telephone risk in exchange for price savings and more features.

caseydoug
07-31-2009, 11:34 AM
A refund doesn't make sense. But if my VoIP provider were out even one hour per month, I would switch (or my wife would switch ;)). A couple of dropped calls in a month, or a couple of times picking up the phone and having no dial tone would lead me to keep my POTS line, perhaps using VoIP as a second line only. This is interesting, because my cell phone service is no where near this good. Calls drop, or voice quality suffers, and we just grin and bear it. But with a home phone, we have gotten used to 99.999%.

I think the remarkable fact is that we HAVE dropped our POTS line, and use only VoIP in the home. And my wife still lives here.