PDA

View Full Version : Can a standalone client call a VOIPo line

Russell
07-31-2009, 08:28 AM
Apologies if I'm not clear but this is pushing the limits on my meagre technical expertise in VOIP.

I presume if a friend uses a service which lets you specify a sip address for a call (e.g, the gizmo project), they will be able to use nnnNNNnnnn@sip.voipwelcome.com (where nnnNNNnnnn is my ten digit phone number starting with area code) to contact me on my VOIPo line. Assuming the above is correct, here's the question... if they do not use such a service is there any kind of client they can use (on their windows machine) which will let them make a call?

caseydoug
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
I haven't tried it, but I assume that I could use a soft phone like X-Lite in "direct" mode -- i.e., not registering to any provider -- and reach a VOIPo line. I have certainly done that with other VoIP services.

VOIPoTim
07-31-2009, 04:08 PM
Using number@in.voipwelcome.com will work for inbound SIP calling.

SIP is a standlone BYOD server so you'd want to use @in.voipwelcome.com so it's routed properly.

Russell
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
Thanks, Tim and CaseyDoug, for replying. I do appreciate it.

Russell
08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
I haven't tried it, but I assume that I could use a soft phone like X-Lite in "direct" mode -- i.e., not registering to any provider -- and reach a VOIPo line. I have certainly done that with other VoIP services.

Ok, I've struggled with X-Lite ver 3 and not been successful. I have no SIP accounts enabled and tried typing in sip:nnnNNNnnnn@in.voipwelcome.com (where nnnNNNnnnn is my ten digit phone number starting with area code). X-lite lets me type it in but when I hit enter it says, No Sip accounts are enabled. Account disabled. So, anyone use a soft-phone in "direct" mode successfully with VOIPo?

caseydoug
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I have an earlier version of X-Lite, so I'm not sure how you would configure ver 3, but in my version you can set up "Direct Dial IP" for any SIP Proxy. Direct Dial IP supports connections that are not through proxies.

In fact, I can create a dummy SIP proxy that doesn't register to any outside provider. An outside SIP caller can then reach this softphone by entering the appropriate address. I like this version of X-Lite because it supports something like nine different providers. I believe it is version 2.0 found here: http://aln.list.ufl.edu/voip/ , but I didn't actually download it from that site -- I got it years ago.

Edit: You can find "Direct Dial IP" in the menu under System Settings/SIP Proxy/ and then you would have to set up the dummy proxy. The Direct Dial IP setting isn't immediately visible when you go to the proxy. You need to scroll down.