PDA

View Full Version : Changing from port 2 to port 1

roehrle
08-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I have a phone on port 2 in my computer room. If I answer a call and it is for my wife down stairs with a phone on port 1, How can I switch the call if it is for my wife on port 1 ?

Brody
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
From my understanding, it should work like this:

Press FLASH to place call on hold and receive dial tone.
Dail your home number, which will ring the other port on the PAP.
Once youre wife picks up, press FLASH again to join the calls together (also known as conference call)
Hang up.

I just tested this procedure, and all works well until step 4. when I hang up the original phone, it kills the call on the other port too. I can't find any mention of call transfer in the VOIPO knowledgebase, so maybe it's not a supported feature.

fisamo
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
What happens if you don't conference the calls in Step 3 of that procedure? After your wife answers, hang up your phone. That's essentially performing an attended call transfer (not sure if Voipo supports it).

The other thought I'd put out there is to see if the default 'blind transfer' code will work (definitely NOT supported by Voipo, as they prefer their * codes to work server-side, but if they haven't disabled it...) : Dial *98, wait for 2nd dial tone, then dial your Voipo number (not sure if all 10 digits will be needed). If it works, you will hear your Line 1 ring, and you'll get a stutter dialtone in your ear. (The person on the call will hear ringing as if they had just called you.) Chances are, if they disabled it, you wouldn't get the 2nd dialtone after dialing *98.

caseydoug
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Another approach is to get two-line phones for both rooms. Many two-line phones will let you transfer from one line to the other.

Russell
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I have one 4-line phone next to my computer, a two line cordless phone with base station dialpad and speaker phone plugged into the house wiring in the kitchen (majority of calls are answered here), 2 old corded phones under an end-table in the nearby family room using a line1 - line2 jack (house wiring), cordless phone in one childs bedroom on line 2 (house wiring) with the other unit of this cordless phone (SunRocket sign on promo) in the master bedroom, old corded phone in a "spare" bedroom on line 1 (house wiring), corded wall phone in the bonus room on line 1 (house wiring). Cheap phones, phone jacks and a two line phone or two will let you really enjoy the service. Attempting to transfer, etc. is ok (if we find a way to do so) but chances are the rest of the family will not be trainable.

The simple solution may be two get a second inexpensive phone where your computer is for the same port as the wife's phone and pick that up.

About 99% of our child's calls use distinctive ring. Three rings and if the child is at home we don't pick it up.

caseydoug
08-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Attempting to transfer, etc. is ok (if we find a way to do so) but chances are the rest of the family will not be trainable.

There are three methods for transferring a call:

a. Press the right soft-key to place the call on hold.
b. Press the intercom button
c. Scroll the left soft-key until you see the appropriate extension
d. Press the left or right rocker on the left or right soft-key button to select that extension.
e. For attended transfer, wait until the extension picks up, announce the call, then hang up.
f. For unattended transfer, just hang up and hope somebody answers the extension.

OR

a. At the top of your lungs, shout "Please pick up on Line1."

OR

a. Carry the phone upstairs and hand it to her.

:)

Brody
08-15-2009, 12:32 PM
What happens if you don't conference the calls in Step 3 of that procedure? After your wife answers, hang up your phone. That's essentially performing an attended call transfer (not sure if Voipo supports it).

I just tried this too, Fisamo, and no go there. *98 gets nowhere either. I guess there's no easy way to transfer a call to the other PAP port, except the ones mentioned by caseydoug above. I'll add one more:

* tell the caller to hang up and call back, then yell to your wife, "pick up the phone, it's for you!" :D

VOIPoTim
08-16-2009, 08:27 AM
At this point, we don't officially offer a method to transfer between the two.

It looks like there are some good suggestions in this thread though so there may be something there that you can use to work around it.