PDA

View Full Version : Outgoing Calls dropped at 32 seconds on Verizon DSL

FarmerMike
08-17-2009, 06:28 PM
I received my PAP2T last week, trying to use this with a Verizon DSL router GT704-WG-B (verizon special firmware, but the latest offered). Any calls placed on the voip line (softphone or wired) are dropped at 32 seconds. Incoming calls to the voip line are not dropped (at least for several minutes I tried). Has anyone solved this problem ? Voipo support has tried, several remote connections, changed settings on the PAP, router (and apparently on their end, too). I find it hard to believe that I am the only (or first) to try Verizon DSL, GT704 router and PAP2T with Voipo (PAP provided by Voipo), so I am hoping somebody has solved this. I also noticed it takes at least 10 seconds to connect/ring an outgoing call on the voip line, is that normal ? And if the outgoing call is not answered, the voip line keeps redailing every few minutes( test call my cell phone, voip line incative and my cell rings again). If I can't get this working line a "normal" phone I can't use it and my wife certainly won't accept it.

VOIPoBrandon
08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Mike,

Could you please PM me one of your ticket numbers on this issue, also please place a few test calls, and I'll look into this for you and see if we can't get this issue resolved, thanks!
________
HUDSON WASP (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Hudson_Wasp)

FarmerMike
08-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Brandon,

I sent the ticket number last week, and about the same time the PAP2T died. Received a new one on Sat, but the issue persists, Outgoing calls only last 30-35 seconds, incoming work fine. This morning I notified support that the new device arrived, but the problem remains. I also told them it looks like either a timing or blocking issue with the router and the voip signaling. I saw a similar report on another viop provider forum. The only suggestion from support was to bridge the actiontec router and get another router and wireless access point to put behind the bridge. So after paying Verizon $60 for the modem/router/wireless I have to disable 2/3 of it (which may not even be possible on this model) to use Voipo. Since support has given up and is no longer interested in getting this working, how do I go about requesting a refund and cancel my account. You should add to your FAQ that your service will not work with ActionTec GT704-WG and Verizon DSL, would have saved me and your support staff many hours.

dswartz
08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
To be fair to voipo, this is a very unusual situation, blaming them for not knowing this is not reasonable. Actiontec routers in general seem flaky and the first thing I did when I got my FIOS account was to remove their AT router from the equation. Rather than cancelling, why are you unwilling to change things so they work?

ptrowski
08-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Mike, if you hookthe PAP2 directly to the Verizon modem? Does the call drop also?

VOIPoTim
08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Mike, if you hookthe PAP2 directly to the Verizon modem? Does the call drop also?

Those are combo modem/router units so no way to bypass.

ptrowski
08-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Those are combo modem/router units so no way to bypass.

Boo.

There was this on the Phonepower forums. I assume you guys tried this already but you never know.

http://www.phonepower.com/Support/KnowledgebaseArticle50065.aspx

VOIPoTim
08-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Boo.

There was this on the Phonepower forums. I assume you guys tried this already but you never know.

http://www.phonepower.com/Support/KnowledgebaseArticle50065.aspx

DMZ is pretty standard. At the end of the day some modem/routers combos just don't work well with our service.

These days routers are more important than the quality of the internet connection in determining how well VoIP will work since so many try to handle the traffic.

ptrowski
08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
DMZ is pretty standard. At the end of the day some modem/routers combos just don't work well with our service.

These days routers are more important than the quality of the internet connection in determining how well VoIP will work since so many try to handle the traffic.

True, it seems like we are moving that way. The only thing I could think of is that that modem/router combo is discontinued. Maybe they could request something newer.

FarmerMike
08-25-2009, 03:25 PM
First off, I am not canceling my account, yet. I still have some time on my 30 day window, so I have Verizon sending me another modem (or modem/router/wap, their tech support is clueless). I have purchased a used modem/router on ebay that should be here in a few days. I am even going to try to flash the Actiontec with the factory original firmware, not the VZ special. (VZ removed the bridge option in their firmware). BUT, I have to have a backup modem since I work from home and kids homeschoool using the net, so I can't afford to brick this box without a backup ready.

This discussion is why I posted here, hoping to draw from experience or more knowledgeable users.

I did try the DMZ, turning off NAT, turning off wireless and hdcp and Voipo support set up the port rules.

I am not blaming Voipo that this does not work, but I would expect them to have some experience with products from major ISPs. The one thing that annoyed me was the way the support ticket was just closed with a suggestion to make the AT a bridge and use a separate router. That says "you are on your own, we don't care to help anymore". A better suggestion from support would be the Actiontec router is defective, mis-configured, or will not work with voip. Then suggest I try another modem/router and/or another modem/router brand.

As I said before I feel like I am the first person to ever try this model ActionTec with voip. I am late in to the voip world (just got DSL a few months ago- very rural area and Sat was only option). As far as getting something newer from Verizon, I think this is their newest and only option - Actiontec modem/router or modem/router/wireless. Verizon is expanding DSL in rural PA (under state mandates) and they are sending out these trashy adapters to all new DSL customers, so Voipo and others better be ready to deal with/around the Actiontec boxes. The Actiontecs would probably have the same problem with all voip services. I would not put it past VZ to make these boxes have problems with voip to protect their cash cow, POTS.

Voipo support tried (esp James), at least 4 remote sessions, and Verizon did one (all they did was check that the firewall was off). I am willing to try to get this working. I did my research and I feel Voipo has the best features at a good price, now if it will only work. I will be certain to post how it turns out, just to save others the many hours I have lost.

usa2k
08-25-2009, 05:08 PM
I like your determination :)

bwyatt
08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm the newbie here, but I like the vibes.

Not mentioning names or my past 3 years experience as a voip consumer, but I think I found a home here.

After today I've got 4 accounts with VOIPO. Looking forward to the discussions and continued development.

Russell
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
FarmerMike have you tried searching http://www.dslreports.com using "Actiontec Verizon". I see numerous hits - you can narrow it down by selecting more specific forums like "VOIP Tech Chat" or "ViaTalk" which have 39 and 71 hits respectively. Not sure it'll help but thought I'd mention it since you're prepared to spend some time researching.

caseydoug
08-25-2009, 11:06 PM
I had two Actiontec GT701s , one with wifi and one without, when I had Qwest DSL. I still use the wifi one as a wireless access point. I never had a problem with VoIP (Lingo). As I recall, you could configure the Actiontec to work in transparent bridging mode (RFC1483), PPPoE, and possibly even PPPoA. I don't know what Verizon supports, but Qwest supported all of those IIRC. VoIP worked fine in all modes, even PPPoE, which involved double NAT.

If you put the modem into transparent bridging mode, you can let your router do the PPPoE authentication. Because the PAP2T is not a router, it cannot do the PPPoE authentication. But for testing purposes, you could set up a soft phone on your computer and let your computer do the PPPoE authentication. This would avoid NAT altogether. Or you could do the same thing by using an ATA/Router and having it do the PPPoE authentication, with the Actiontec in transparent bridging mode. This would essentially allow you to take the router functions out of the picture for purposes of testing this problem.

All of this is pretty speculative, since I don't know how Verizon is set up. But I do think the Actiontec is configurable enough to let you figure out whether this problem is caused by the router function of the Actiontec.

FarmerMike
08-26-2009, 09:05 AM
I have spent lots (probably too much) time on dslreports researching (this and other issues). I'll look again now that I have more of an understanding why the calls are being dropped. Vonage has their ACK timeout set at 60 seconds. Here is what one of their evangelists said in response to a similar problem:

The issue is exactly what I described to you in my initial response. On outbound phone calls, when the call is connected at the far end, a SIP 200 OK message is sent to your telephone adapter and this is where the audio stream starts. However, in the SIP protocol this 200 OK requires an ACK to let the far end know you received the 200 OK. Vonage is not receiving this ACK from you but we know your getting the 200 OK since you have 2 way audio when the call starts. Vonage continues to send a 200 OK for 3 retries and is not successful. At the 60 second mark, when the Gateway has not received an ACK from you, the call is disconnected.

As for the inbound calls, I am not seeing an issue however it may still be the same. On an inbound call, the signaling is the opposite. So when you pick up, you send a 200 OK which starts the audio stream and the Gateway send back an ACK which I can see. But, it is possible your device is not getting the ACK which I can't see from the proxy logs. It might not retry the 200 OK messages like the Gateways do.

I have tried several softphones, all have the same problem drop outgoing at 32 seconds (still going thru my actiontec). The Verizon Actiontec has a special version of the firmware that does not provide for bridge mode, so they have dumbed down a questionable product even more. As soon as I have the "backup" box from VZ, I will flash my current one with the non-Verizon firmware - if I brick it, no loss, one has to go back anyway.

caseydoug
08-26-2009, 09:23 AM
FarmerMike, I re-read your first post, and I see that this happens with a softphone also, and now you mention that it happens with Vonage. So it looks like is is not a problem with the PAP2, nor is it unique to VOIPo. Since this does not happen with all Actiontec modem/routers, you may be right that this has something to do with the special firmware loaded by Verizon. What we don't know is whether the problem is built in to the router functions or the modem functions of the Actiontec. In either case, loading the default firmware may well give you an answer. Keep us posted.

FarmerMike
08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
The Vonage report I copied was form their forums, it was not me he was responding to, but the same issue.

I should have both my backup VZ actiontec and a Westell 6100 (from ebay) here in a few days, then we can resolve this. Sometime in the evening/night when I have some free time and family internet use is minimal I will try re-configuring the Actiontec to see if I can get it to work as a mostly transparent bridge with the VZ firmware (no nat, no dhcp).

caseydoug
08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
The problem is that with transparent bridging you will still need a router if more than one computer will be using the internet connection. But it certainly would work for testing (unless the problem is with the VZ firmware itself). If Verizon uses PPPoE, I don't see how you can do without NAT and DHCP using the PAP2, since that device is not capable of doing the PPPoE login. However, you could let your computer do the login (I believe there is a built-in Windows PPPoE client), and then test the VoIP connection using a soft phone.

FarmerMike
08-26-2009, 07:17 PM
The quick update - new Verizon modem/router/wireless showed up today (next day UPS). BUT it is NOT the same unit, they sent me a Westell 7500 (with VZ firmware). Afters some messing to get the modem activated, I set up the port forwarding. The softphone worked, pap2t would not connect. I changed the static ip to dhcp on the pap2t (I had set the port forwarding using mac address) and all is working. Now I can finally use Voipo, it has taken 22 days to get up and running including 2 pap2t devices and a change in the VZ modem/router. The Westell offers much better control and even a stronger wireless signal (even with only an integrated antenna).

In the next few days I will be trying to get the Actiontec Verizon unit to actually work. I do have another router/wireless box to use if I can make the Actiontec into just a bridge.

I don't know if it was pure chance that I was shipped a Westell or the fact that when talking to VZ support I reported voip not working. Perhaps they know the AT have problems with voip and swap them when the customer complains.

I'll post an update after I mess with the Actiontec, I'm sure others will be handed that box by Verizon and want to use voip.

Russell
08-26-2009, 08:28 PM
The quick update - new Verizon modem/router/wireless showed up today (next day UPS). BUT it is NOT the same unit, they sent me a Westell 7500 (with VZ firmware). Afters some messing to get the modem activated, I set up the port forwarding. The softphone worked, pap2t would not connect. I changed the static ip to dhcp on the pap2t (I had set the port forwarding using mac address) and all is working. Now I can finally use Voipo, it has taken 22 days to get up and running including 2 pap2t devices and a change in the VZ modem/router.

Nice to hear that all appears to work with the new box. I'm sure you must pretty pleased after all the frustration.

caseydoug
08-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah, good job. As I said before, I don't think it's the Actiontec itself, but possibly Verizon's firmware or configuration. I'll be interested to see whether you can get it working with that device.

dswartz
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
farmer, silly question for you: you said it wouldn't work with a static IP. this is very surprising. now for the silly part (forgive me, but i don't know your level of networking savvy). you set a static IP, but did you remember to set the default gateway for the pap2t? if not, it would not be able to reach any outside host.

FarmerMike
08-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Yes, the default gateway was set correctly with the static ip. The PAP2T did connect with the static IP using the Actiontec, but not with the Westell. As soon as I changed the PAP2T back to dhcp it connected in seconds. Perhaps the westell is not be routing numbers outside of it's dhcp range, I didn't look too closely at the routing tables.

dswartz
08-28-2009, 06:34 AM
Yes, the default gateway was set correctly with the static ip. The PAP2T did connect with the static IP using the Actiontec, but not with the Westell. As soon as I changed the PAP2T back to dhcp it connected in seconds. Perhaps the westell is not be routing numbers outside of it's dhcp range, I didn't look too closely at the routing tables.

another silly question: static IP worked with the AT, but not the westell. did you reboot the pap2t, or did you just unplug the AT and plug in the westell? i ask because if the latter, the pap2t was most likely still using the old MAC address for the AT in its ARP table, whereas changing to dhcp would have likely flushed all of that.

quattrohead
08-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Don't waste another second on the actiontec, so many problems are caused by their rubbish I will not work on anyones network until they are replaced.
Westell are not that great either but can usually be persuaded to work until they get too hot and keel over.

FarmerMike
09-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Well family events (funerals and hospital - 3 diff people), farming and work have kept me too busy to mess with the Actiontec. Now verizon is calling about me sending back the defective unit.

The westell is working fine, so anyone having problems with the Actiontec GT704WG (rev B with verizon firmware 30.15.0) - get a different dsl router. Call verizon and ask for a swap or get something else from the net.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions - now to get my number ported to Voipo and convert to dry loop DSL.