PDA

View Full Version : Switched routers - now no service

lem3u
08-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Hello,
I'm still fairly new to VOIPO, and wanted to ask a question since I believe tech support is closed on the weekend.

I bought a new D-link router today(to replace a Belkin). VOIPO had forwarded some ports on the Belkin for me, so I forwarded the same ports on the new router. My internet and everything else is working, but not VOIPO.

All of the lights on the PAP2T are on, and I do get a dial tone on my phones, but when I dial a number all I get is silence. Also, when someone calls, it rings, but when I answer it's just silence. The other person just continues to hear ringing even after I have answered the phone.

Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere on the new router I need to setup? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

chpalmer
08-22-2009, 02:24 PM
also- dont assign a static address in the dhcp range of your router as a general rule.

You might try turning all port forwarding off to test and see what happens.

lem3u
08-22-2009, 02:50 PM
How is your PAP2T getting its IP address? Is it just DCHP, or is it set statically? Which ports are you forwarding, and are you sure you are forwarding them to the IP the PAP2T is using now (with the new router)?

Dan

I have DCHP turned on and the ip is the same as it was on the old router. I did the ****110# feature on the phone to confirm the ip of the PAP2t.

The following ports are forwarded: 35000 - 65000 UDP
5004 - 5080 UDP and TCP

These were the ones that VOIPO tech support setup when they connected to my computer and PAP2t several weeks ago.

lem3u
08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
also- dont assign a static address in the dhcp range of your router as a general rule.

You might try turning all port forwarding off to test and see what happens.

Initially after setup, I did not enable any port forwarding, and it did not work either. I enabled the port forwarding in hopes of getting it to work, to no avail.

I have the D-Link DIR-600 router.

caseydoug
08-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I assume you have checked the other router settings, for example outbound filters. Also, make sure the ALG for VoIP is turned off, and SPI is turned off.

lem3u
08-22-2009, 04:35 PM
I assume you have checked the other router settings, for example outbound filters. Also, make sure the ALG for VoIP is turned off, and SPI is turned off.

I turned SPI off, same result. I'm not sure what ALG is? I tried to access the PAP2t, but it wants a username and password.

caseydoug
08-22-2009, 05:41 PM
I turned SPI off, same result. I'm not sure what ALG is? I tried to access the PAP2t, but it wants a username and password.ALG is Application Layer Gateway. I have a different D-Link router, but the setting on mine (DGL-4100) can be found under Advanced/Firewall. There are different ALGs for various applications, including one for SIP. I can almost guarantee that if the SIP ALG is checked, it will cause your problem.

fisamo
08-22-2009, 05:43 PM
The ALG is short for "Application Level Gateway". IIRC, the DLink routers do have one for SIP (which is the one for VoIP that needs to be turned off). Look under your firewall tab. The box on the bottom should NOT be checked. See image below...

lem3u
08-22-2009, 07:37 PM
The ALG is short for "Application Level Gateway". IIRC, the DLink routers do have one for SIP (which is the one for VoIP that needs to be turned off). Look under your firewall tab. The box on the bottom should NOT be checked. See image below...

Well, the mystery continues. I found the setting and it was checked. I unchecked it and restarted both devices and now there is no dial tone at all. I rechecked the box and restarted, and it's back to the original condition described in the first post. At this point, I am at a loss. Thanks you to everyone for all of the help so far.

Russell
08-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, the mystery continues. I found the setting and it was checked. I unchecked it and restarted both devices and now there is no dial tone at all. I rechecked the box and restarted, and it's back to the original condition described in the first post. At this point, I am at a loss. Thanks you to everyone for all of the help so far.

Just as proof of concept remove your router and connect your ATA directly to the modem. Confirm that your phone service works perfectly - this will also confirm that introducing the router causes the issues.

caseydoug
08-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Even though you get no dial tone now, I think in the end the ALG setting should be unchecked. Do your logs indicate what is happening? Do they show packets being blocked or dropped? When you go to VPanel, does your device show as being registered?

Sometimes you have to wait a little while until things clear -- e.g., there may be some bad addresses cached in the servers or the router. I'm sure Support will be able to fix you up, particularly if they can look at the adapter logs. It's just too bad this had to happen on the weekend.

voipinit
08-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Are you sure you are restarting both the router and PAP2T after changes? Are you sure your IP to the PAP2T is not changing on these reboots? You really need to have the PAP2T set to a static IP.

Check the thread: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1551