PDA

View Full Version : Siemens Gigaset VoIP DECT cordless phone setup?

russ377
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any success setting up any of the Siemens Gigaset VoIP products to work with Voipo?

After several hours of trying to get a Gigaset S675 IP (http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_139193_rArNrNrNrN,00.html) working using the vPanel supplied settings and reading through this and other forums looking for clues as to why it won't register, still no success.

The Gigaset base is able to get out to the internet in general (updates the clock, screensaver weather feed, RSS headlines), and the "fixed line" phone port works with the normal Voipo PAP2 output line, so those parts of the system check out OK. I've also tried assigning the S675 to the DMZ of my router thinking that it's a port forwarding/router issue, but no success with that approach either.

Attached are some screen captures of the configuration pages.

The fields show what the default settings are - what would really help is a suggestion on where the data supplied from the vPanel should go and any other changes to the defaults that need to be done.

Many thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Russ

http://i30.tinypic.com/2je37rp.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/j0bfrk.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/vpyo05.jpg

txcas
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Did you enable Softphone/BYOD in the vPanel?

russ377
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - yes, I do have the BYOD set to enabled.

It's curious, but the vPanel BYOD selection is only possible when the PAP2 device is plugged in, it disappears after the PAP2 is unplugged. Is this normal? Is the PAP2 to also be plugged in when using an alternative device?

Is there any place where a general guide to BYOD setup is posted?

Thanks again!

-Russ

txcas
09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I am planing on buying this phone soon so I would like to see you get yours working. I tested BOYD using a softphone and leaving the ATA plugged in. I found that when I do that only my softphone rings on incoming calls. My suggestion is that you try your BOYD credentials on a softphone first (X-Lite is free) and make sure that works. Configuring your Siemens would be very similar. All you need is the Auth User, the password, and the proxy server. You have the phone on the DMZ, so it should not be a port issue.

russ377
09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Just tried the X-Lite idea, it is easy to set up and worked fine.

So, I guess the network and vPanel settings are good, it's just a matter of figuring out why the S675 doesn't like the same.

It potentially could be very easy to set up this device with any service - the unit has "preconfigured" profiles (drop down menu/wizard/handset config code) for other voip services such as sipgate, viatalk and others. Was sort of hoping that Voipo would be on that list...

:)

Thanks again for your help - when I get this figured out, I'll post what worked so you won't have to go through the same process.

Anything else you can think to try is still welcome though!

-Russ

Russell
09-02-2009, 09:24 PM
It might be helpful to others if you describe what you tried - exactly which fields did you populate and what values (of course, not revealing info) did you use.

russ377
09-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Actually, in the first set of screen captures I did (but did not post) I had the info showing, but decided on the blank field ones instead as it showed the default values and I also didn't want to prejudice any ideas with preconceived notions...

I may have had some success, the S675 is being registered now.

It's a bit late here for full testing, but I think the key part I was missing before was that the PAP2 needs to be on for the BYOB feature to work. I'm not sure if this is actually what enabled success or something else has changed after I did the X-Lite test.

Does it make sense that the PAP2 needs to be on as well as the S675?

-Russ

redshift
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I've been using the s685ip for a while now and it's working very well. Voice quality is better then any other ATA I've tried (HT 502/286, Pap2T, SPA 1001 etc.)

russ377
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Glad to hear you have been a happy Gigaset IP user, redshift. I was beginning to think that while the handset did everything in theory that I wanted to do (DECT, multiple handsets, multiple IP line, POTS support), it would not work with Voipo's service.

If you don't mind, could you look over my settings and see if they look like yours?

In one posting, I had seen that Voipo wants G.711 u law codecs only - is this the case, or would I be better off with a different codec?

Bandwidth-wise, I can set up the router to do QoS if needed. My connection is DSL, 384k/1.5M, mostly web browsing and I would see only two of three voip lines in use at most at any one time.

Thanks,

Russ

http://i32.tinypic.com/4goizq.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/walxte.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2prgv3a.jpg

txcas
09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Change the domain to voipwelcome.com and add sip.voipwelcome.com as the proxy on port 5060.

redshift
09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
yep I was just about to say the same thing. VOIPo seems to work best when you set the port to 5060 for the registrar server port. You can change the proxy server port to whatever you like (at least that is fine with my set up). I also have sip.voipwelcome.com (or whatever server you are using) under the registrar sever field.

My Advanced settings are the same, I've actually set G722 as my first codec (though I know it won't really work) as well as keeping G711/G729 underneath; so I don't think you have to force the codec to make it work. Other then that everything else is the same.

Could the issue possibly be with your router? I know I had trouble getting this to work with my old Trendnet, but now that I'm using the Zyxel X550N I haven't had any issues.

russ377
09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Thanks for looking over my configuration - I'll have to test these changes, enable the other codecs and see what happens.

Right now I have the S675 in the router's DMZ and SPI firewall functions turned off, but once I settle on a good, working configuration, I'll take it back out of the DMZ and forward ports to it, if needed.

It might be the router, I'm using an older Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT and might not be voip friendly.

Russell
09-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I see you have STUN enabled but no stun server specified. My gut feeling is if you need STUN (have it enabled) you should specify a STUN server. VOIPo has commented that most folks don't need one.

redshift
09-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah I have stun server turned off as well, since I don't seem to need it with my setup.

Out of curiosity anyone know any good stun servers?

russ377
09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the help!

All the suggested changes have been done (codecs, STUN off) and everything still works.

Didn't change the proxy, not certain what the difference is on outbound proxy and the proxy settings under the "General" section.

As everything appears to be working don't want to try more than one thing at a time.

redshift
09-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Well good luck and let us know how it goes!