PDA

View Full Version : No incoming calls for over a week now....

raw92378
09-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Hi there.

I am a relatively new VoIPo customer (been around for about three months or so) and just had my number Ported from Verizon. A couple days before the port was to take place (last Friday), all of my incoming calls stopped coming through. My phone would ring but when I pick it up I get a short pause/silence (about 10 - 20 seconds) then a fast busy. After I pick up, my callers get dead silence then voice mail after a minute or so.

Prior to the port, I had my calls setup to forward to my temporary VoIPo number. I never canceled the forward prior to the port happening. I have RCN cable Internet service and the PAP2 is hard wired to a Linksys WRT 610N router. I can make outgoing calls with no problems and excellent sound quality.

I submitted a trouble ticket last week and have been in constant contact with VoIPo support, but no resolution. Any suggestions? Anyone else have similar problems?

Dont want to go back to Verizon, but it's starting to look like that's my only solution at this point....

Thanks.

Ray

usa2k
09-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Sounds like a virtual number (even if temporary) might be helpful. The week of down time seems long, but LNP might be creating something unusual. A virtual number would at least prove/disprove some things (I *think*)

I had an issue once where when I left Vonage to Packet8, I had done LNP. Vonage still had the number in their database and reassigned it to another Vonage customer. That did not interrupt my service but resulted in strange calls.

Hopefully VOIPo can sort it out, but I would reserve blame until they get to the bottom of it.

VOIPoTim
09-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi there.

I am a relatively new VoIPo customer (been around for about three months or so) and just had my number Ported from Verizon. A couple days before the port was to take place (last Friday), all of my incoming calls stopped coming through. My phone would ring but when I pick it up I get a short pause/silence (about 10 - 20 seconds) then a fast busy. After I pick up, my callers get dead silence then voice mail after a minute or so.

Prior to the port, I had my calls setup to forward to my temporary VoIPo number. I never canceled the forward prior to the port happening. I have RCN cable Internet service and the PAP2 is hard wired to a Linksys WRT 610N router. I can make outgoing calls with no problems and excellent sound quality.

I submitted a trouble ticket last week and have been in constant contact with VoIPo support, but no resolution. Any suggestions? Anyone else have similar problems?

Dont want to go back to Verizon, but it's starting to look like that's my only solution at this point....

Thanks.

Ray

The firmware on that router model has been know to have issues with many VoIP services.

Here is some info: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22179978-VoIPo-If-you-have-a-Linksys-router

You might want to look into installing different firmware on it and it'll likely clear your problems up 100%.

raw92378
09-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitely am going to wait it out as long as I can - it's the wife that isn't going to take for but so much longer.

Tim, I just upgraded the firmware on the router but am still having the same issue. I know the Linksys is not what it could be, but the service was working fine under the same setup prior to the port. Before the port, I was able to make and receive calls with no problems. When the port started is when the problems started... I have not change anything with my network setup and all my other devices seem to have no communication problems through the WRT610 (including a Windows Home Server I use to remotely access music)....

I would upgrade to DDRT, but I don't think a stable installation is available yet for the 610N. I also don't want to go through the install right now... plus it doesn't change the fact that things were working fine before.

Not trying to place blame, just want to get it resolved.

thanks for any other suggestions...

VOIPoTim
09-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the responses. I definitely am going to wait it out as long as I can - it's the wife that isn't going to take for but so much longer.

Tim, I just upgraded the firmware on the router but am still having the same issue. I know the Linksys is not what it could be, but the service was working fine under the same setup prior to the port. Before the port, I was able to make and receive calls with no problems. When the port started is when the problems started... I have not change anything with my network setup and all my other devices seem to have no communication problems through the WRT610 (including a Windows Home Server I use to remotely access music)....

I would upgrade to DDRT, but I don't think a stable installation is available yet for the 610N. I also don't want to go through the install right now... plus it doesn't change the fact that things were working fine before.

Not trying to place blame, just want to get it resolved.

thanks for any other suggestions...

I really don't think the timing is related.

Usually the ports are submitted to our upsstream carrier and the account itself isn't even modified.

What we've seen with these routers before is that they go for weeks working fine then have issues randomly.

The problem isn't really them not letting connections through, it's them trying to be "too smart" and handle the connections rewriting them more efficiently before passing them to the adapter.

One easy way to test it is to bypass it temporarily and connect directly to your modem (reboot modem and adapter so a new IP is issued) and see if the issue still exists.

If not, you know it's the router. If it does, then it's something else.

usa2k
09-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Connecting direct to the modem likely works fine? (Did you prove that?)
Inconvenient without a router, but it seems likely the router is the issue.

Did VOIPo work prior to LNP? You say a month ...

raw92378
09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not ready for DDWRT on the 610N. I've used DDWRT on a previous router with no problems until it died, so going through the flashing of that firmware is not a problem. The problem is that there is no stable version available for the 610... If it was only me in the house I would have no problems going with it, but....

So I tried a couple other things.

First was to try connecting the PAP2 directly to the cable modem (Scientific Atlantic Webstar 2100??) and couldn't get any connection.

Second, I tried a softphone (Zoiper). Setup was a breeze using VPanel - I was up in minutes. Calls came through almost immediately. I was also able to answer a call. The call connected with no problem but I lost the call after 20 seconds.

Next test I tried calling out using the soft phone. Results were as expected - call went through with no problems or disconnects (although the quality was not as good as what I get through the PAP2).

The final test was to connect the PC directly to the cable modem and use the soft phone. So changed the cables around and verified that I had a connection to the net. Then tried to make/receive a call. For the incoming call, things seemed to be fine at first, but 20-seconds in i once again lost the call - the same as having the PC connected through the router and using the softphone.

So is there something I should try with the cable modem? I don't know that I can even access and config setting with it...

Thinking about other VOIP like programs that I have used - I don't seem to have any issues when using GoogleTalk's voice feature, nor do i have problems with Skype...

Thanks.

raw92378
09-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Just realized why the PAP2 wasnt connecting when directly attached to the cable modem> In the last session I had with Support, they changed the PAP2 to a static IP rather than using DHCP. Still doesnt explain the issue as i have ruled out the router with the softphone tests in the above post.

fisamo
09-03-2009, 03:10 AM
Dare I ask... What did the PAP's user screen say when you tried to connect? Could the ATA need a reset/reprovision? Could you need a different ATA? It's always possible that there was some kind of programming hiccup that occurred during/after the port (speaking as an outsider without direct knowledge of Voipo's provisioning practices). The softphone connection is (a) to a different server, with (b) different SIP credentials. Perhaps your provisioned SIP configuration is not quite right?