PDA

View Full Version : Interesting VOIPO to VOIPO porting issue

Warus1
09-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Hi all,
Let me start out by saying VOIPO is great and the service is solid!
That was for those of you who don't read to the end.. ;)

The set-up: My sister is porting from CV to VOIPO just as I did a few weeks ago. Everything is going fine with the port process and she is making and receiving calls with her CV service (VOIPO ATA is not plugged in).

The issue: When I call her using my VOIPO phone, my call immediatly goes to the stock VOIPO voicemail (i.e the extension you have reached: 123-123-7890..).
If I use my cell phone, the call goes through and I she answers or I get her custom VM from CV.

For what it's worth, my number is also a former CV phone number that happily now belongs to VOIPO.

thoughts?

caseydoug
09-02-2009, 07:09 PM
As I recall, you need to wait until the port is complete.

Warus1
09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
As I recall, you need to wait until the port is complete.

I would understand if my port had not gone through, but it has.
Her port is still pending.

To recap we have a VOIPO calling a CV that is in process of porting to VOIPO.

It seems to me that the computers at VOIPO think my call is already a VOIPO to VOIPO call, but it's really a VOIPO to CV call until her port completes.

hope this all makes sense..

Russell
09-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I would understand if my port had not gone through, but it has.
Her port is still pending.

To recap we have a VOIPO calling a CV that is in process of porting to VOIPO.

It seems to me that the computers at VOIPO think my call is already a VOIPO to VOIPO call, but it's really a VOIPO to CV call until her port completes.

hope this all makes sense..

No reason for her VOIPo ATA not to be plugged in and if it is plugged in she'll be able to receive your call on her VOIPo device. It's in her interest to plug her VOIPo ATA in and use it for all calls (of course forwarding her CV number to her VOIPo temp number). Her phone number (not the temp number) should get displayed on outgoing calls. Anyway, that's the way I operated from the day I got my VOIPo device so if there were any issues I could sort them before I requested the port. I didn't start my port for a couple of weeks until I was convinced that all was well with VOIPo.

caseydoug
09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
I agree that if you plug in the VOIPo ATA with a temporary number, a call to the temporary number or to the CV number forwarded to the temporary number should go through.

What I thought you were saying, however, was that calling a CV number (with the VOIPo ATA unplugged) was going to voicemail because VOIPo was treating the call as going to another VOIPo number, rather than to CV. It's quite possible that her number is listed in the VOIPo database as a VOIPo number, even though the port has not completed. I know that when I signed up, I could log into VPanel with my Qwest number before the porting was complete.

But I think Russel is right. If you plug in the ATA, the "VOIPo to VOIPo" call may also go through, even though it is not really a VOIPo to VOIPo call. VOIPo's database may direct the call to her ATA.

Warus1
09-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Appreciate the assistance, but were getting off track here.

Sis has the CallVantage still active and waiting port out..
She gets calls and makes calls from everyone BUT me.

I'm on a VOIPO ATA..

So I'm thinking the VOIPO system doesn't understand that her (sis's) number has not yet ported, and is trying to route my (and only mine) to the VOIPO system (since no VOIPO ATA is plugged it goes to VM)

It's not a big deal, it only effects my calls to her (btw, her calls to me with the CV ATA works just fine to me). I can use my cell to call her, so not a biggie, but it seems to be a fly in the ointment so to speak.

I only bring this issue up, because as more folks currently on VOIPO recommend others to join, this might pop up with others and create an annoyance other might not be able to tolerate.

I'm always on the bleeding edge, so not an issue with me.

Russell
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM
You bring up a good point and you're right. And, I'm sure as VOIPo matures the "fly in the ointment" (as you put it) will be addressed. II believe it's been brought up before in these forums, though as I grow older the memory ...

I'd still encourage your sister (as in my previous posting) to switch to using the VOIPo ATA - no reason for her not to be 100% functional.

fisamo
09-03-2009, 03:04 AM
This issue is common with Voip and porting. Voipo is routing your calls to your sister through their network only because her number is now in their system. IMO, Russell has the best answer--have your sister set up her PAP2 and forward CallVantage calls to the Voipo temporary number assigned. (If she unplugs her CallVantage TA, she can use the Safe Forward Number option.)

The only potential issue is that when the port actually occurs, your sister may not receive calls properly until her Voipo ATA is re-provisioned (and possibly rebooted). Setting a failover number (cell phone) in her vPanel will address that concern.

Brody
09-03-2009, 03:41 AM
There's a simpler answer - submit a ticket to support asking them to route calls to your sister's number out of the VOIPo network until her port goes through. I had the same problem when I set up my parents with VOIPo - as soon as their number was in the VOIPo system, I could no longer reach their ATT landline. I mentioned the problem to support, and they fixed it right away!

Warus1
09-03-2009, 12:24 PM
There's a simpler answer - submit a ticket to support asking them to route calls to your sister's number out of the VOIPo network until her port goes through. I had the same problem when I set up my parents with VOIPo - as soon as their number was in the VOIPo system, I could no longer reach their ATT landline. I mentioned the problem to support, and they fixed it right away!

There we go, nice easy soultion for non-techinal folks..
Perhaps this should be a common practic for VOIPo as refferals come in.
Make it seamless and everyone is a happy camper!

Sorry but I'm a process guy and always looking for the simplest solution for the end user.. ;D