PDA

View Full Version : Simul Ring Problem

caseydoug
09-03-2009, 11:24 PM
When I enable Simul Ring to a cell phone, both my home phone and the cell phone ring (my home phone begins ringing first), but the audio doesn't work. As soon as the cell phone starts ringing, the calling party ceases to hear the ring back tones. When the cell phone is answered, only the cell phone gets audio. The phones stay connected but without audio to the calling phone. If my home phone is the one answered, there is no audio for either the calling party or the called party. The phone stays connected until one or the other party hangs up (i.e., SIP signaling seems to be working).

Normally, with one-way audio, I would suspect a LAN problem. However, this happens only when Simul Ring is enabled, and if the cell phone is the one picked up, the call is not even going through my network. The audio seems to be misdirected once the second phone begins ringing.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it appropriate to put in a ticket for an alpha feature?

fisamo
09-04-2009, 06:20 AM
Definitely put in a ticket so they can track it. I haven't used the simulring much, so I can't speak to it happening...

bwyatt
09-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I set mine up with simulring when I first installed the equipment. It's been working fine here with no issues.

burris
09-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Mine has always worked well, except for my stupidity in testing it when my cell phone was turned off.

I thought it was the program, but I discovered when I tested it to see if when it rang, could it be answered from the main number when the cell was off, I only tried it by calling from the cloned line to the main line and under that scenario, it worked.

Otherwise, as a number of you indicated, when the cell is off, it immediately goes to its VM before any other intervention is possible....

Xponder1
09-05-2009, 03:44 PM
I noticed today that if simul ring is enabled and the ATA is unavailable for whatever reason that fail over does not work. Disable simul ring and fail over works. I have also had issues lately were neither the simul ring or failover is ringing. You either get a busy tone or voicemail.

I have been frustrated many times because of failover not working and I think simul ring might be the cause.

Vumes
09-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Also, with Simul Ring enabled and I answer on my cell phone the calling party CAN hear me, but I can NOT hear the calling party.

EDIT:
Its the other way around. I can hear them, but they can't hear me.

caseydoug
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Also, with Simul Ring enabled and I answer on my cell phone the calling party CAN hear me, but I can NOT hear the calling party.

EDIT:
Its the other way around. I can hear them, but they can't hear me.

That is the problem I have also. If I answer on my VOIPo phone, neither party hears anything. In both cases, the calling party hears only one or two ringback tones when the phone is ringing, then silence.

I did put in a ticket, but it's the long weekend.

Vumes
09-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Xponder and caseydoug,

What server are you guys on? I am on west01 and I suspect that is the problem...

Edit: never mind, that wasn't it. I changed my server to Central and it made no difference. Ah well. Worth a shot.

VOIPoBrandon
09-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Could I get you guys to give Simul Ring another go and let me know your findings we've made some slight changes, thank you!
________
Handjob Ebony (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/671/ebony/videos/1)

VOIPoBrandon
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
I noticed today that if simul ring is enabled and the ATA is unavailable for whatever reason that fail over does not work. Disable simul ring and fail over works. I have also had issues lately were neither the simul ring or failover is ringing. You either get a busy tone or voicemail.

I have been frustrated many times because of failover not working and I think simul ring might be the cause.

This is correct behavior -- the way failover works is as follows:

A B C
[incoming call from pstn] -> [voipo's network] -> [voipo device on your network]

If we can not deliver the call from B to C i.e. C does not respond in any form or fashion to our "delivering" of the call, B will initiate failover, however when simul ring is in effect you have to keep in mind C also includes your PSTN locations when simul ring is in effect, so once simul ring sends an outbound call to your destination and there is a successful response, i.e. 180 ringing or something of the such this call now has a successful branch and failover will never engage after this point, because it is no longer a failure condition.

Edit: Also wanted to add that the device listing under your VPanel has no effect on failover initiating or not, all this means is that we have an active registration in our network still, and it will auto expire after 300 seconds (or 5 minutes) which happens to also be the re-registration interval (if the device does not re-register, this entry will be cleared)

Let me know if this all makes sense, thanks!
________
Marijuana medical (http://medicalmarijuana.us/)

caseydoug
09-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Could I get you guys to give Simul Ring another go and let me know your findings we've made some slight changes, thank you!

Whatever you did seemed to fix it for me. I tried two calls, answering my cell phone on the first call and my home phone on the second. Both got audio. It sounded a little choppy on the first call, but since VOIPo is out of the loop once the cell phone is answered, it probably has more to do with my cell phone reception than anything else.

I'll try to test it again at a time when it won't disturb anyone.

Thanks for fixing it!

Also, what did you do?

Xponder1
09-08-2009, 02:41 PM
This is correct behavior -- the way failover works is as follows:

A B C
[incoming call from pstn] -> [voipo's network] -> [voipo device on your network]

If we can not deliver the call from B to C i.e. C does not respond in any form or fashion to our "delivering" of the call, B will initiate failover, however when simul ring is in effect you have to keep in mind C also includes your PSTN locations when simul ring is in effect, so once simul ring sends an outbound call to your destination and there is a successful response, i.e. 180 ringing or something of the such this call now has a successful branch and failover will never engage after this point, because it is no longer a failure condition.

Edit: Also wanted to add that the device listing under your VPanel has no effect on failover initiating or not, all this means is that we have an active registration in our network still, and it will auto expire after 300 seconds (or 5 minutes) which happens to also be the re-registration interval (if the device does not re-register, this entry will be cleared)

Let me know if this all makes sense, thanks!

It makes since yes but regardless of the status of the ATA the simul ring number should ring correct? What I have been trying to say is I keep having moments of ATA, Simul ring, and failover all not working. It's very frustrating. It seems what happens is the simul ring number rings once then for some unknown reason the call does not complete and that is preventing failover from doing its job. The number on simul ring when answered on one end its dead air and on the callers end its a fast busy.

Thanks,

VOIPoBrandon
09-08-2009, 02:54 PM
Are you still experiencing the above behavior with simultaneous ring malfunctioning ?
________
Aromed vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com/aromed-vaporizer.html)

caseydoug
09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
It makes since yes but regardless of the status of the ATA the simul ring number should ring correct? What I have been trying to say is I keep having moments of ATA, Simul ring, and failover all not working. It's very frustrating. It seems what happens is the simul ring number rings once then for some unknown reason the call does not complete and that is preventing failover from doing its job. The number on simul ring when answered on one end its dead air and on the callers end its a fast busy.

Thanks,That had been happening to me, but I think it's fixed. And yes, that is a serious problem, since the call won't reach your voicemail on either VOIPo or your cell.

I'm going to leave simul ring enabled to give it a better test, but for now, I think the problem has been corrected.

Vumes
09-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Simultaneous Ring is working now... but again with only 1 number. What is the problem with letting it ring to more than 1 other destination?

VOIPoTim
09-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Simultaneous Ring is working now... but again with only 1 number. What is the problem with letting it ring to more than 1 other destination?

The beta testing of that did not go well. We had many reports of failed calls and some odd call behavior with multiple destinations so it needs a lot more testing.

With multiples, we're essentially taking the incoming calls, placing two new outgoing calls and bridging them in parallel then taking the first one to answer and bridging with the main one while disconnecting the others.

It can get complex pretty quick. Multiples may be something we offer in the future, but based on how the testing went with it, it isn't going to be announced in this release unfortunately.

christcorp
09-16-2009, 07:14 PM
I know this thread is a little over a week old, but I wanted to put in my $0.02. I too have had issues with the simul-ring. Usually, if the home ata phone and the cell phone ring together like they are suppose to, if I answer the cell phone, it's usually fine. If I answer the voipo ata phone, there's 50/50 chance that there won't be any audio. I've been out of town on and off for a couple weeks, so I turned off the Simul-Ring so that my wife and daughter could answer calls at home instead of me getting them on the cell phone. Without simul-ring, all works well. I got home last week and also upgraded to a new cell phone. I decided to put back on the simul-ring. Surer than Shiite, the home phone rang and I couldn't hear anyone on the other end. The calling party instinctively called back JUST on my cell phone, thinking I was out. I answered that.

So, for me, simul-ring isn't working that great right now. It was for the longest time. I would say that it's been about the last few weeks where I've noticed the big inconsistency. Later.... mike.....

Xponder1
09-16-2009, 07:39 PM
I know this thread is a little over a week old, but I wanted to put in my $0.02. I too have had issues with the simul-ring. Usually, if the home ata phone and the cell phone ring together like they are suppose to, if I answer the cell phone, it's usually fine. If I answer the voipo ata phone, there's 50/50 chance that there won't be any audio. I've been out of town for a couple weeks, so I turned off the Simul-Ring so that my wife and daughter could answer calls at home instead of me getting them on the cell phone. Without simul-ring, all works well. I got home last week and also upgraded to a new cell phone. I decided to put back on the simul-ring. Surer that Shiite, the home phone rang and I couldn't hear anyone on the other end. The calling party instinctively called back JUST on my cell phone, thinking I was out. I answered that.

So, for me, simul-ring isn't working that great right now. It was for the longest time. I would say that it's been about the last 2-4 weeks where I've noticed the big inconsistency. Later.... mike.....

Ya I still have the problem to.

bwyatt
09-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I too have had issues with the simul-ring. Usually, if the home ata phone and the cell phone ring together like they are suppose to, if I answer the cell phone, it's usually fine. If I answer the voipo ata phone, there's 50/50 chance that there won't be any audio.

Exact same problem here.

Add to it... if someone calls the line while it is in use, it's ringing busy and won't go to voicemail. Otherwise, it works fine.

sal
09-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I don't have those problems with simul ring. However, I have a different issue.

I normally have voipo phone and cell phone on simul ring when I am away. Wife can call my cell phone from voipo phone without any problem, but, when I call voipo phone from cell phone it only rings once then busy signal.

If I disable simul ring on my cell phone every thing goes back to normal. I learned to deal with this issue by not calling home when on simul ring. It would be nice if this issue is fixed.

caseydoug
09-17-2009, 10:30 PM
At one point Simul Ring was promoted from Alpha to Beta. However, I think it's back at Alpha again.

VOIPoBrandon
09-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Just a quick question, do any of you experiencing problems have destinations that play early media, i.e. a ring back tone (music) etc?

VOIPoBrandon
09-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Also if any of you experiencing any issues with simultaneous ring that has some free time today and would like to contribute into looking further into the issues you are experiencing please private message me and let me know a time you will be available, thanks!

In all of our testing here I have been unable to reproduce the current issues described.

VOIPoBrandon
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm assuming the issue is resolved now -- I am unable to reproduce the problem and no new tickets have came in. Let me know if you are still having any further issues, thanks!
________
BUY EXTREME VAPORIZER (http://www.vaporshop.com/extreme-q-vaporizer.html)

deliberate
09-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I'm assuming the issue is resolved now -- I am unable to reproduce the problem and no new tickets have came in. Let me know if you are still having any further issues, thanks!

After reading this thread today (at your suggestion) ... after all we went thru these past few days with my VOIPO problems, I am simply amazed that no one (including you Brandon) asked about SimuRing, nor suggested turning it off to address my NO AUDIO problems.

I know you think it was my router, but why didn't you suggest turning off SimuRing first? I'll skip the rest of the details but I think (my opinion) it might have saved us hours and hours of messing about and involuntarily converting me to BYOD.

I would suggest in future that level-1 tech and above always first ask about SimuRing when "no audio" is reported as a problem (or part thereof).

- Don

VOIPoBrandon
09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
After reading this thread today (at your suggestion) ... after all we went thru these past few days with my VOIPO problems, I am simply amazed that no one (including you Brandon) asked about SimuRing, nor suggested turning it off to address my NO AUDIO problems.

I know you think it was my router, but why didn't you suggest turning off SimuRing first? I'll skip the rest of the details but I think (my opinion) it might have saved us hours and hours of messing about and involuntarily converting me to BYOD.

I would suggest in future that level-1 tech and above always first ask about SimuRing when "no audio" is reported as a problem (or part thereof).

- Don

Agreed, this is generally something we do look into for audio problems, as it is a known issue with certain network scenarios. So we can definitely keep note of this for the time being while troubleshooting audio related / user issues. However I think in your scenario there is a bit more than meets the immediate eye. In any case, I'm glad to see we've finally came to resolution (hope I'm not speaking too soon). I look forward to hearing back from you over the course of the next few days!

So now this being said, we actually have a few new things that are in the process, that will resolve this feature and a few other requests (I will not comment on just yet, but feel free to speculate) -- "suspense drum roll"

Thanks guys and have a great night!
________
AMATEUR ORGY (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/68/orgy/videos/1)

caseydoug
10-06-2009, 02:18 PM
So now this being said, we actually have a few new things that are in the process, that will resolve this feature and a few other requests (I will not comment on just yet, but feel free to speculate) -- "suspense drum roll"

Thanks guys and have a great night!

I've been out of town for a while, so I haven't had a chance to test out the "fixed" Simul Ring yet. When I did last test it, it caused so many problems that I resolved not to test it again unless my wife is away AND I had her cell phone available to make the call as well as my cell phone available as the Simul Ring number. So it may be a few days before I can test again. However, I'm eagerly looking forward to the "new things" in this area.

burris
10-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Happy to say that I keep Simul Ring always on pointing to my cell phone and have not had any problems..

This thread however, prompted me to post about an unusual thing I noticed today.

Since my cell rings along with the main number, I can always see where the call is coming from. Today and yesterday for the first time, I noticed that one particular call came in with the name on the main line as 'unavailable', but on the cell with the full name. Since the call first hits VOIPo and then Simul Rings it to my cell, what makes the difference?

usa2k
10-06-2009, 04:34 PM
You cell does CNAM?
Perhaps the cell company is using a different LIDB?

caseydoug
10-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Today and yesterday for the first time, I noticed that one particular call came in with the name on the main line as 'unavailable', but on the cell with the full name. Since the call first hits VOIPo and then Simul Rings it to my cell, what makes the difference?Is it possible that the name and number are in your cell phone's phone book?

burris
10-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Is it possible that the name and number are in your cell phone's phone book?

Good thought, but this was a new call for the first time..

Perhaps Tim will pick up on this and offer an answer..I'm only curious..

sal
10-07-2009, 07:41 AM
What cell phone carrier do you use? I've been seraching for one that does CNAM, not just numbers. I am tired of not knowing who's calling with Verizon.

burris
10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
What cell phone carrier do you use? I've been seraching for one that does CNAM, not just numbers. I am tired of not knowing who's calling with Verizon.

I have Sprint for the last 11 years..

fisamo
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Typically, the number is associated with a phonebook entry on the handset. I've never seen incoming 'name' on a cell phone call...

VOIPoBrandon
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
It is always the recipient network that needs to do the CNAM lookup, unless very rare circumstances such as network-network call that never leaves to PSTN world, in which case may be handled a bit differently.

So even if the call is originated from [Bob] -> [Joe] -> line 1 + line 2 + PSTN -> Simul Ring Destination #1 (the recipient in this case would be Simul Ring Destination #1's carrier). In which they would need to do a CNAM lookup, but yes we also as well would have done a CNAM lookup for the calling party and would be attached to the call INVITE header for Line 1 + Line 2 delivery.

This being said, I know my Verizon Wireless phone number does not look up from the LIDB database.
________
Asian Girl (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/126/girl/videos/1)

VOIPoTim
10-16-2009, 03:28 PM
So ultimately with Simul Ring, it sounds like the biggest requests have been these:

1) Multiple destinations

2) Press 1 to confirm

3) Call hunting

Right?

caseydoug
10-16-2009, 04:45 PM
That's a great summary.

Is it possible that the "Press 1" option would apply only to a particular Simul Ring number (e.g., all cell phones)? I generally wouldn't want to have to press 1 to accept the call on my regular home number, but that feature is needed for cell phones because when they are off or out of range, the call is immediately picked up by the cell phone voice mail.

sal
10-18-2009, 09:28 AM
I would prefer press 1 to confirm being optional, much like Google Voice.

usa2k
10-18-2009, 12:28 PM
My preference would put call hunting at the top.

VOIPoTim
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=1695

usa2k
10-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Tried call hunt to my cell.
15 seconds seemed a good time.
The phone rings longer for the caller while you hear the interactive.

Very classy Tim! With the call hunt,
I may set the 2nd line up with my Virtual number now

The VOIPo LINE should have the check mark checked,
since it connects right away while unchecked.:)

caseydoug
10-20-2009, 12:48 PM
So ultimately with Simul Ring, it sounds like the biggest requests have been these:

1) Multiple destinations

2) Press 1 to confirm

3) Call hunting

Right?

It looks like the new Simul Ring still has only a single external destination for "Ring All," and two external destinations for "Call Hunt." Will we be seeing more destinations?

bwyatt
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm disappointed. I've tried simul ring / ring all to my wife's cellphone and then I tried it to mine. It just rings the voipo line and goes to voicemail.

It's not working at all for me.

usa2k
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
It's not working at all for me. Try at least 15 seconds for the ring time. Default is Zero.
If not that, you may need a ticket.
Worked great on tests here. My phone rarely actually rings on its own.

sal
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM
The ring time in "Ring all" set up is not working. I set it to 20 seconds and after 2 rings, calls went to VOIPo VM. Change to 100 seconds and it's still only 2 rings. What gives?

Also, if I set it to "ring all" home and cell, when calling from cell phone to home phone, the home phone rings but the call goes to cell phone VM right away.

Simul ring used to work and now it's broken. :(

voipoh
10-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Now I understand why I am suddenly getting Voicemail even though I have it disabled. I have Sim-Ring going to a Cell Phnone

usa2k
10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I think if auto answer is unchecked on the cell, it may work for you, but you'll have to press 1 to answers calls ringing your phone.

voipoh
10-20-2009, 07:17 PM
It is going to VOIPo's Voicemail. I have that set to disable. Shouldn't be accepting VM.

The way I see it if I disable VM with VOIPo, I should NOT get ANY VM there.

I don't understand how changing the Cellphone setting should resolve that.

usa2k
10-20-2009, 07:22 PM
OK that is odd?

usa2k
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Might be fixed?
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23215311-Re-VOIPoCOM-Awesome-multiring-features

voipoh
10-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Not for me. I turned off the New 'Find Me'. That's the only way I can get VM to stay disabled. Auto Answer on or off makes no difference.

Hope I don't have to choose between Sim-Ring and Mandatory VM.

Frankly am perplexed that VOIPo (considering their plethora of features) is having so much difficulty implementing this feature. I was using this feature with another VOIP provider (no plug for them) 5 years ago. Only issue was CID on Forwarded Phone had to be disabled to call the VOIP number.

VOIPoTim
10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Not for me. I turned off the New 'Find Me'. That's the only way I can get VM to stay disabled. Auto Answer on or off makes no difference.

Hope I don't have to choose between Sim-Ring and Mandatory VM.

I know what you're saying, but the reason it is like it is is that when "time out" is hit from the number of seconds/destinations the user configures, where should we send the call if not to VM when there's no answer and no where to go?

Since the Find Me cycles through your VOIPo phone then external ones, when the list of numbers to try runs out, there's no where else left for it to go when the timeout is reached if the main phone didn't answer it (and an answering machine comes on).

If we just drop the call, some users on the other end may hear ringing then when the time out his a fast busy when it drops, so we didn't want users to start thinking that was a service issues. We thought about failover, but again users may not want all their unanswered calls going to failover.

Any other ideas for handling it?

voipoh
10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Impressive! Immediate response from the top. Like your corp philosophy.

I think it should be treated as any un-answered call without VM enable. That's the way it was before. Your system have a default time out for un-answered calls.

Let's follow this through.
VM off Sim-Ring off.
Un-answered calls get terminated by system after a pre-determined time out.

VM off Sim-Ring on Un-answered calls go to VM
The way it is now VM is mandatory with Sim-Ring.

Again, thanks for the quick response.

sal
10-20-2009, 08:52 PM
This may work (stealing from my previous provider, it worked well). Don't ask, don't tell. :)

For Ring All (simul ring):
Disable Ring time on both. If I don't have VM on both, it will just ring and ring. Caller will give up after sometime. If one phone has VM it will pick up after pre-set rings (either cell phone VM, home answering machine or VOIPo VM).

For Ring in Order (find me):
Disable Ring time on the last leg (external #2). This will give caller the rings forever on the last leg until giving up. See above (simul ring).

One more thought on Ring in Order:
When this is chosen, only one external # blank shows up with an "Add more" button. Once the "Add more" button is pressed, 2nd external # blank shows up. Also the Ring time on 1st external # becomes available. And on and on. In this sequential fashion, the ring time on last leg is always disabled. VOIPo line Ring time should always be enabled in Ring in Order.

voipoh
10-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Update.
Brandon resolved the issue.

mrkarron
10-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Are there still plans for a busy transfer (forward)? I am still looking to forward an inbound call to my second line if the first line is busy.

MacGyverLabs
10-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I second mrkarron's request... I would really like a "busy transfer" feature that would allow you to provide a number to forward a call in the event of a busy signal.

Keep up the fantastic work!

burris
10-23-2009, 06:49 AM
I'm finding something that needs a tweak..

With the original SimulRing, all was well for me with the exception that I had to shut off my cell at night so a call to the main number wouldn't immediately hit the cell VM.

The new program took care of that, but now I am experiencing the problem that in many cases, since I only use my answer machine at home, even when I answer my cell as soon as it rings, the slow motion in having the calling number announced and having to wait until the announcement choices are finished, that it either hits my machine or the caller hangs up as if there was no answer.

It would be nice if when the my cell is answered, since I already see the callers number, I could immediately push the button of choice, in my case 1, and be able to intercept the call immediately, without having to wait.

Unless of course, I'm overlooking something in the setup.

VOIPoBrandon
10-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm finding something that needs a tweak..

With the original SimulRing, all was well for me with the exception that I had to shut off my cell at night so a call to the main number wouldn't immediately hit the cell VM.

The new program took care of that, but now I am experiencing the problem that in many cases, since I only use my answer machine at home, even when I answer my cell as soon as it rings, the slow motion in having the calling number announced and having to wait until the announcement choices are finished, that it either hits my machine or the caller hangs up as if there was no answer.

It would be nice if when the my cell is answered, since I already see the callers number, I could immediately push the button of choice, in my case 1, and be able to intercept the call immediately, without having to wait.

Unless of course, I'm overlooking something in the setup.

Give it a try now.

burris
10-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Again, you fixed it...and I didn't even have to beg. ;) I'm not sure another provider exists that offers service like VOIPo does..

Many thanks, Brandon..

bwyatt
10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
The simulring is working for me with the exception of a voipo line to a voipo line. The system is ignoring the simulring feature alltogether in this instance.

babaganoosh
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
I second mrkarron's request... I would really like a "busy transfer" feature that would allow you to provide a number to forward a call in the event of a busy signal.

A third vote for busy transfer. I had that with Verizon on our 2 lines and liked that. I thought Voipo had it, but I likely wasn't describing what I was looking for clearly. :confused: