PDA

View Full Version : All circuits busy

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 07:06 AM
I'm unable to get a call through to my home phone this morning. I get a recorded message "We're sorry, but all circuits are busy now. It's just a temporary condition and we hope you'll try your call again later."

I've got a second account and that number goes through ok.

Warus1
09-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Just tested mine from an outside line.. inbound call works just fine here

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 08:03 AM
This has been an issue now for over an hour (at least since I first noticed it). I'm able to make inbound/outbound calls on one of my two separate residential accounts, but on the other one I can only make outbound calls. Inbound calls receive the recording "all circuits are busy."

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I rebooted my Voipo device (for what that may be worth) and verified my internet connection. The device locked on in about 30 seconds. Inbound calls from my cellphone result in a fast busy signal. Still get the "all circuits busy" recording when I call from another landline.

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I noticed some people having issues with the simul-ring beta option and I have it enabled on the troubled line, so I disabled it. No difference.

According to my call log, the last time a call was received on this line was 10:44pm yesterday evening. It's been 2 1/2 hours since I first encountered the problem and nothing has changed. Still can't get a call through.

fisamo
09-06-2009, 10:48 AM
A few questions:

First, I know it's a holiday weekend, but did you put in a ticket? If not, go ahead and do so.

Second, when you log into vPanel and look at the Features --> Devices command, do you see an entry for the line that's failing?

Third, have you tried (for what it's worth--possibly nothing) changing your 'preferred' server in vPanel? Features --> Preferences --> Network Preferences
That page shows which server you're connected to, which may not correlate with your 'preferred' server.

Fourth, have you tried using the SIP credentials with a softphone for the account that's not ringing in?

Fifth, have you tried intentionally taking your 'misbehaving' line down and seeing if/how the failover function works (e.g. to your cell phone)? Do you still get an 'all circuits busy' message, does it forward the call, or is there another issue? (Alternative to taking your line down, have you tried turning on call forwarding in vPanel and seeing how that behaves?)

I hate to hit you with a ton of questions, but I'm trying to think of different things to try that might point out the source of your issue...

FWIW, I'm registered to central, and I just made a successful inbound call.

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
First the good news:

Incoming calls were connecting once again as of 2:39pm this afternoon.

As a troubleshooting note:

I had not changed any settings in VPanel immediately prior to the problem occurring, nor were there any changes made in VPanel just prior to service being restored.

A google search on this issue made it obvious to me this is not too unusual for VOIP customers. One technician made this point:

When you get this type of message it usually means that the server/network segment is overloaded because there are too many people utilizing that server/network segment. This type of problem means that the XXXX/YMAX need to load balance the workload by adding more servers or re-sizing their server/network.

So in the future if you get this type of message --- you will have to try your call later. Since XXXXXX is growing by leaps and bounds it will take time for them to properly configure their network/servers for the number of users that are utilizing the system.

I have no idea whether this is accurate or not, but it could mean that Voipo is experiencing growing pains? Then again it was suggested that this happens sometimes when there is a fiber cut somewhere or something... or sometimes there is just an unusual demand in a certain area. It was suggested the latter problem usually remedies itself in minutes, not hours as this case was.

fisamo - Thanks for your suggestions! In response:

1) Yes, I submitted a ticket.

2) There was no entry for failure in devices command.

3) I don't have a "network preferences" tab in my VOIP panel. Is this something available to some Voipo customers and not others?

4) Service was restored before I got to try out the softphone option, but that was going to be my next step.

5) Didn't get a chance to try this one either, but I don't think it would have worked because the call was not registering with Voipo. There was no record of any of the inbound calls during the recorded message period in the call log of my Vpanel.

What made this problem more perplexing for me was having two residential accounts; one line worked fine with inbound and outbound calls, while the other line had the recording.

usa2k
09-06-2009, 02:31 PM
3) I don't have a "network preferences" tab in my VOIP panel. Is this something available to some Voipo customers and not others?
https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/network

Features => Preferences => Network Preferences

VOIPo would benefit from breadcrumb links

Knowing/reviewing
Features => Preferences => Advanced
may be useful too.

caseydoug
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM

You don't see it in Features/Preferences/Network Preferences? That setting does not appear for a Virtual Number assigned to a 2nd line, but it should appear for your primary line on a Residential Account.

chpalmer
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Im betting this is at the carrier level.

Go to https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/advanced look at audio. Select "Use VOIPo Network for Audio".

bwyatt
09-06-2009, 04:30 PM
https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/network

This link works like a charm, even though I don't have a tab in the control panel to go to it.

This is most likely the culprit. The phone line resulting in the "all circuits busy" recording is on west01 while the line that presented no problems is on sip-central01

You don't see it in Features/Preferences/Network Preferences? That setting does not appear for a Virtual Number assigned to a 2nd line, but it should appear for your primary line on a Residential Account.

No, it's not there. Could it be because I have a temporary number while my permanent number is being ported? Again, I can access it with the link at the top of this post, there is just not tab for it in Vpanel.

Go to https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/advanced look at audio. Select "Use VOIPo Network for Audio".

Are you suggesting I still change this setting now?

fisamo
09-06-2009, 05:50 PM
To be sure we're on the same wavelength...

For item 2 - checking for device status - When you log in to your vPanel and click in the Features tab at the top, you should see the word "Devices" in the dark blue menu bar. If you click on the word Devices, you should see a table with the headings Username, Contact, and User Agent (there's also Domain and Expires, but those fields are empty). If your device is properly registered, your phone# will show up under username, and the Contact column will have "sip:{yourphone#}@{your_ip_address}", and the User Agent will say something like PAP2T. If your device is not registered (meaning, you won't get calls), you'll see a message "You are not currently registered to our servers!" When calls were failing, were you registered, or did you have the Not Registered message? (I never thought to ask you if the Line 1 light was on or off on your ATA. :rolleyes: )

For item 3 - the Network Preferences option. If you click on the Features tab in the light blue, then click on the Preferences word in the dark blue bar, the choices on dark blue menu bar change. You should see the option for Network Preferences after you click the Features tab, then the word Preferences. If you still don't see it, put in a ticket--there could be some add'l configuration needed on your account.

I don't think I asked--do you have a number entered in the 'failover' feature, or do you failover to voicemail? At this point, it's more of a question of curiosity, because the calls not showing in your logs does suggest that they never even made it to Voipo's call processing servers...

caseydoug
09-06-2009, 06:04 PM
No, it's not there. Could it be because I have a temporary number while my permanent number is being ported? Again, I can access it with the link at the top of this post, there is just not tab for it in Vpanel.

I suppose a temporary number could cause that, but it would surprise me. I thought "temporary" numbers become permanent numbers if you don't port.

Another thing I've noticed and commented upon is that VPanel does not seem to be consistently implemented for IE8. Some features won't work unless the browser is in "Compatibility View," whereas other features won't work unless "Compatibility View" is disabled. You can find controls for Compatibility View under "Page" in the browser menu. I've never seen it eliminate a single item from a menu, however. You might try to look at VPanel in a different browser to see whether it makes a difference.

Warus1
09-06-2009, 07:13 PM
FWIW: I do not have the network tab either..

But the link : https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/network
does indeed take me to the network settings.

Suspect the Vpanel has changed between you signing up and me signing up.
I'll bet us newbie VOIPo'ers have a more generic Vpanel so we don't screw things up.
You old timers already know what not to touch.. LOL :p

caseydoug
09-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Surely they didn't neglect to show you the secret handshake! ;)

bwyatt
09-07-2009, 05:06 AM
When calls were failing, were you registered, or did you have the Not Registered message?

Indeed, we're on the same page here. When the calls were failing I WAS registered.

the Network Preferences option. If you click on the Features tab in the light blue, then click on the Preferences word in the dark blue bar, the choices on dark blue menu bar change. You should see the option for Network Preferences after you click the Features tab, then the word Preferences.

For me, features > preferences > yields:
Advanced Display PIN Softphone / BYOD Password

No network tab.

I don't think I asked--do you have a number entered in the 'failover' feature, or do you failover to voicemail

Failover to voicemail.

Another thing I've noticed and commented upon is that VPanel does not seem to be consistently implemented for IE8.

I've tried it with IE8 and Google Chrome and get the samething.

bwyatt
09-07-2009, 05:09 AM
Surely they didn't neglect to show you the secret handshake! ;)

No one shared the handshake, but (and please don't tell anyone this) I'm beta testing their newest device; it looks like a shoe with a rotary dial on the bottom, and an 8 foot telescopic antenna. I'm told it should work anywhere in the house!

Warus1
09-07-2009, 07:21 AM
No one shared the handshake, but (and please don't tell anyone this) I'm beta testing their newest device; it looks like a shoe with a rotary dial on the bottom, and an 8 foot telescopic antenna. I'm told it should work anywhere in the house!

Wait a minute! They told me I was the only one with the shoe phone..
Next you'll tell me they gave you the cone of silence too!

Russell
09-07-2009, 04:44 PM
Wait a minute! They told me I was the only one with the shoe phone..
Next you'll tell me they gave you the cone of silence too!

Neither of which beats the ring splash I experience when I have new voicemail!

fisamo
09-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Actually, the cone of silence was a part of the founder's package. They must have had a few left over. It comes in handy--I have three girls under the age of 10. :eek:

chpalmer
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
It comes in handy--I have three girls under the age of 10. :eek:

Ive one girl under 10.... I feel for you!! :p

caseydoug
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Neither of which beats the splash ring I experience when I have new voicemail!Yeah? Well my splash ring is made of genuine cubic zirconia!

bwyatt
09-09-2009, 04:30 AM

Just wanted to say thanks. I now have a "network" tab!

bwyatt
09-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Got the "all circuits busy" recording again today one the same account as Sunday. My second account continued to work without any issues.

Having the new "network" tab I went into Vpanel and changed servers from west to central and hit "save." Nothing changed and the problem remained.

After talking with support I learned you have to recycle your Voipo device before the change is made and reflected in Vpanel.

After moving from west to central, the problem disappeared.

usa2k
09-11-2009, 06:16 PM
After talking with support I learned you have to recycle your Voipo device before the change is made and reflected in Vpanel.

After moving from west to central, the problem disappeared.
Good to know. It is always possible that the server may not change.
I understand that is a preference, not a directive.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22945209-Re-VOIPo-Network-Preferences-Everything-Goes-to-Central01

bwyatt
09-12-2009, 07:59 AM
That's interesting.

Since it is a "preference" my personal preference regarding this issue would be for the server change to be automatic. If there was a way the network could detect that my line was or would get he "all circuits busy" recording it would automatically re-route me through another server.