PDA

View Full Version : Cannot use softphone?

walletless
09-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Hello,

I saw this piece in the ToS:

"VOIPo provides all residential customers with a telephone adapter and softphone solution to use to connect to our service. The use of any other third party devices (such as ATAs) or software (such as Asterisk) is strictly prohibited. Users who attempt to circumvent this restriction face immediate termination of their service. VOIPo reserves the right to remotely access and manage provided devices. "

Does this mean that I cannot configure a softphone (x-lite or some other software) on my cell phone to call using VOIPo? It would be cool if I can use a SIP softphone and configure it using VOIPo servers to call my friends, especially since I have access to 3G network with good speeds from my phone.

VOIPoBrandon
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Hello,

In certain scenarios we do permit softphone / byod access such as xlite however we do not provide any support or troubleshooting for 3rd party devices. Once you receive your adapter and it connects to our network you would then be able to go into your VPanel Features -> Advanced -> Softphone / BYOD access on a self-serve basis and retrieve your credentials. We also do not permit international calling through this registration. Please let me know if this answers your questions. Thanks!
________
Brunette latina (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/429/latina/videos/1)

walletless
09-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks Brandon,
That answers it. The wording from ToS was much stronger and seemed to indicate that it was "strictly prohibited" for all scenarios - not just for International calling.

usa2k
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Perhaps the TOS should say it is prohibited from the core business servers?

It could further say there is a community-support-only BYOD server
in addition to the supported registered primary service offering.

A little reworking of that may prove more appealing to those who actually read the TOS :)

fisamo
09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I suspect the TOS was not updated after they launched the 'limited access' softphone. An update is in order... Were I writing the new TOS, I'd probably differentiate credentials programmed into Voipo-supplied equipment (not allowed to reverse engineer/hack to obtain) from those freely provided in a customer's vPanel (can use on any equipment, subject to imposed restrictions--such as no int'l calling from 3rd party devices, simultaneous usage is monitored to prevent abuse, etc).