PDA

View Full Version : Dead air when calling my number

Russell
09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I call my home number from work. It either rings once or goes to dead air. Anyone else?

scott2020
09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
All is well here.

voipinit
09-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I had that problem with only my virtual number. Any outside network call went to dead air.

Russell
09-24-2009, 06:19 AM
The issue is a wiring one at my end. I'll provide full details in due course. Is there any way for me to edit the subject in the original posting to change the title?

Russell
09-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Well, here's the promised explanation...

I had UVerse scheduled for installation today. Late yesterday afternoon AT&T must have done some work on the Network Interface box outside my house. Despite a label inside which clearly said not to connect to the home wiring, it appears that the wires for lines 1 and 2 were connected in some fashion. Since I feed my ATA output to my home wiring I suspect this resulted in the "dead air" behavior. Late last night I started debugging and found all was well with a phone directly connected to the ATA. And, unplugging all the phones and still connecting to the home wiring caused the issue - when it was light this morning I opened the NI box and saw what they had done.

Anyway, I talked to Cody a couple of times (thanks again) from work yesterday afternoon when I first encountered the issue and he did his best to help by tweaking at his end. But given what was happening, I realize that no amount of tweaking would have helped. Cody if you're reading it, it may be best to restore the setting to what they were previously - as I mentioned when I talked to you VOIPo has been flawless until this issue (which was clearly one not of VOIPo's creation). And, thanks for the time you spent on this.