PDA

View Full Version : 411 and VOIP?

Madelaine
09-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Not sure if this is the right area for this question, but I've been looking into getting VOIP for a phone number for my husband's small business. He told me that he's finding you can't have a VOIP or cell number listed in 411 for businesses. Anyone know if this is true? Do VOIP providers share number/account information with 411 providers, or is it pretty much a telco exclusive?

VOIPoTim
09-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Normally it's not. If you contact support and have them order the number manually for it instead of doing it on the site, you can have them setup a directory listing.

You need to specifically request this when they order since only certain types of numbers support it and they'll know to order that type.

Madelaine
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the amazingly speedy turnaround! I'll relay that info to him.

I know you guys have offerings listed as Residential, but are you okay with handling small businesses too? We're talking <5 employees small. :)

VOIPoTim
09-24-2009, 02:38 PM
We'll be announcing business plans soon, but right now we only offer residential service. Businesses usually have high usage which is the main reason we offer it.

We know that an average household uses around 400 minutes per month so that's what our pricing is based on.

Expect business plans by the end of the year though once we go live with our new billing system.

fisamo
09-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Normally it's not. If you contact support and have them order the number manually for it instead of doing it on the site, you can have them setup a directory listing.

You need to specifically request this when they order since only certain types of numbers support it and they'll know to order that type.

Understandable that not all numbers support directory info listings... Can someone with a ported-in (originally was with incumbent telco) get their number listed in local phonebooks and/or directory assistance (after the port-in, of course)?

VOIPoTim
09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Understandable that not all numbers support directory info listings... Can someone with a ported-in (originally was with incumbent telco) get their number listed in local phonebooks and/or directory assistance (after the port-in, of course)?

98% of the time, yes. It depends on the rate center/upstream carrier used for that area.

Just submit a ticket if you want it and it's pretty easy for a rep to check.

If it's supported, we can submit it and it should be listed in 2-4 weeks.