PDA

View Full Version : UVerse?

Russell
09-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone have UVerse? If yes, do you just put the ATA behind the 2Wire box? Or, do you put it behind your router which is behind the 2Wire box - if the latter, is all you do is put your router in what is called DMZPlus of the 2Wire box?

I just got UVerse today and am having some issue with incoming calls. It's obviously not a VOIPo problem, so I don't want to bug support and thought I learn from others best practices.

JimDog
09-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Anyone have UVerse? If yes, do you just put the ATA behind the 2Wire box? Or, do you put it behind your router which is behind the 2Wire box - if the latter, is all you do is put your router in what is called DMZPlus of the 2Wire box?

I just got UVerse today and am having some issue with incoming calls. It's obviously not a VOIPo problem, so I don't want to bug support and thought I learn from others best practices.
I've used it both ways without a problem. When I originally got U-verse, I was not using my own router and had everything connected to the 2Wire. The 2Wire thought the PAP2 was a router when I connected it and automatically prompted me to put it in DMZplus the next time I tried to browse a web site from my PC. I did put it in DMZplus and it worked fine that way. I did not try it without DMZplus.

Since then I've set up my own router, a Linksys WRTP54G-NA, behind the 2Wire and have been using it for all wired and wireless connectivity, except for the DVR and set top boxes which are connected directly to the 2Wire. My Linksys router is set up for DMZplus in the 2Wire and my PAP2 is connected to a LAN port on the Linksys router. The PAP2 is NOT in the Linksys router's DMZ and I do not have any ports forwarded. Aside from putting the Linksys router in the 2Wire's DMZ plus zone, everything else was plug and play. I haven't had any issues with this setup and everything's been working fine for months.

VOIPoBrandon
09-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I just got Uverse installed this week, have not got a chance to hook up a VoIP device just yet, however will do so later this evening and let you know how it goes.

Russell
09-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I've used it both ways without a problem. When I originally got U-verse, I was not using my own router and had everything connected to the 2Wire. The 2Wire thought the PAP2 was a router when I connected it and automatically prompted me to put it in DMZplus the next time I tried to browse a web site from my PC. I did put it in DMZplus and it worked fine that way. I did not try it without DMZplus.

Since then I've set up my own router, a Linksys WRTP54G-NA, behind the 2Wire and have been using it for all wired and wireless connectivity, except for the DVR and set top boxes which are connected directly to the 2Wire. My Linksys router is set up for DMZplus in the 2Wire and my PAP2 is connected to a LAN port on the Linksys router. The PAP2 is NOT in the Linksys router's DMZ and I do not have any ports forwarded. Aside from putting the Linksys router in the 2Wire's DMZ plus zone, everything else was plug and play. I haven't had any issues with this setup and everything's been working fine for months.

Thanks JimDog. Nice to know that all is well. Things seemed to have stabilized on my end. I'm doing what you've done: put my old router in the DMZ plus of the 2Wire. Essentially everything that was previously connected to my cable modem is now connected to the 2Wire.

I've also turned off wireless on the RG. However, I've configured it with an easy to remember pass-phrase and changed the SSID and plan to use it for guest access (when I have visitors). That way I don't have to add mac addresses to my regular router nor reveal its passphrase; and, presumably the visitors will be on a different subnet.

Brandon, if you need any help with configuring the RG to operate as above feel free to contact me - a call may be simplest. Based on my one day's experience I'll be happy to help :-).

VOIPoBrandon
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
I apologize, forgot to follow up on this thread. I was able to connect the PAP2T directly to the 2Wire Gateway, no custom provisioning / settings, and everything so far works incoming and outgoing, granted I've only placed a few calls, however no issues here it seems!

Thank you Russell for the offer!

Russell
09-29-2009, 06:58 PM
No problem, Brandon. What level of Internet did you get?

Btw, I've now stopped using my router as an experiment. Using the RG for wireless and the PAP2T is directly connected to it (JimDog's other scenario) and all is well. Hopefully, this thread will benefit others who search these forums for "UVerse".

As JimDog mentioned and I can confirm both scenarios work fine and you should (hopefully) have no surprises with the UVerse - VOIPo combination.

VOIPoBrandon
09-30-2009, 09:02 AM
I have whatever their highest package is, I believe it is 25Mb. As for my speed test to a local Houston server, I am able to pull 15Mb/s down and ~ 1.45Mb/s up.
________
Squirting vids (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/38/squirting/videos/1)

Russell
09-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I have whatever their highest package is, I believe it is 25Mb. As for my speed test to a local Houston server, I am able to pull 15Mb/s down and ~ 1.45Mb/s up.

I believe you're on the 25Mbps profile and suspect you've got Max 18 (max down load 18Mbps and upload 1.5Mbps) on the Internet side. What profile you get depends on how far you're from the VRAD box.