PDA

View Full Version : Loss of WiFi

limeybj
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Trying to figure out why I'm loosing my home wifi signal when I pick up my Line 1 phone either on it's own, or when using it as a second line. Set up is same as my ATT CV was as far as wires etc. I have my cable router setup to an Apple Airport base station, and from that the Voipo is plugged into. Two phone cables into the back of the Voipo box for Lines 1 and 2. Both phones and wifi work fine most of the time. The problem seems to occur when I use both phones at once and occasionally when I just use Line 1 phone. I loose my wifi and it timeouts trying to log on, sometimes it finds the network but timesout, but most of the time it's unable to locate the network. As soon as I hang up, my wifi network is detected once again on the computer.
A good example just happened, I'm on my Line 2 plug phone, another call comes in and my wife answers it on the Line 1 phone. As soon as the Line 1 phone is answered, I loose wifi on the computer. I end my call on the Line 2 phone, still no wifi. Line 1 call ends and my wifi is back.
Any ideas????
Thanks and I hope I can get this resolved somehow.

chpalmer
10-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Are the phones wireless?

limeybj
10-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Both phones are cordless handsets. Line 2 phones are a pair of matched Uniden 2.4ghz phones, with the 'base station' phone + 1 extra handset. Line 1 is a single Panasonic 2.4ghz cordless unit. Wiring is the same as I had it with my CV service, all I really did was replace my old CV box with the Voipo box. Same set up with phones, never had the problem with CV service. Could it be the unit?

MacGyverLabs
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
limeybj...

You're likely experiencing a wireless channel conflict between your cordless phones and your wireless router. 802.11b and 802.11g (commonly known as wireless-b and wireless-g) uses the 2.4GHz spectrum, and you mentioned that your cordless phones use this band as well.

There are a very limited number of channels (11 in the US) that can be used in the 2.4GHz space, and because of frequency overlap (I won't bore you with the details), there's really only 3 or 4 you can use in the same general proximity without issues (don't forget about neighbors, etc.). Based on the information you've provided, I'm pretty confident that is your issue.

Your options...
*Move the phones/base stations as far away from the wireless router as you can (although, it's still not likely you're going to get all of this to operate and play nice in the same house).
*Move up from wireless-b or -g to wireless-N with the 5.0GHz spectrum (wireless-N can operate in 2.4GHz as well, but based on your situation, you don't want that).
*Change out your 2.4GHz cordless phones for new 5GHz wireless.

Depending upon your setup, you'll have to determine which is the best/most cost effective upgrade for you.

Best of luck!

scott2020
10-02-2009, 07:24 AM
The 2.4 Ghz phones will mess up your Wifi big time. I ended up purchasing DECT 6.0 phones from Panasonic and had no problems since.

limeybj
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for all the help and interesting information. I've been looking at the DECT phones and this will give me reason to pick up a set! I never thought the cordless and wifi base station would affect each other, but obviously they can! Thanks again!

burris
10-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I echo the comments suggesting the DECT 6 phones.

Solved my similar problems and I have my Uniden Dect 6 base station only 3 feet from my router.