PDA

View Full Version : I'm baaaaccck

abward
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I had VOIPo in Feb/Mar time frame this year, but ported out for several reasons, mostly in regards to stability. I think this was a time-frame when VOIPo was having some teething problems.

Anyway, I am kicking around the idea of coming back, since I did like the price and feature set.

But, first a few questions:
1) Has things settled down to become a very reliable service? When I was on before, it was at a point where I was not sure if the phone would be working from day to day.

2) Back then, VOIPo was cycling their equipment whenever they wanted to. I suggested to VOIPoTim that he should do this during off hours, but he disagreed. What is the current maintenance window, if there is one?

3) It looks like I just missed the 2nd year free offer. Is this coming back anytime in the next couple of months, or are you cooking up anything else like this?

Thanks

fisamo
11-27-2009, 10:28 PM
IMO, stability is fine. The number of complaints (whether here or BBR forum) about service problems has gone down significantly. However, I will remind you (as if I need to.. :D ) that you were having stability issues when I was not... If you're willing to give it another try, I'd recommend signing up month-to-month with a throw-away number to see how you like it. One new feature Voipo has added is that you can 'verify' that you 'own' a number and, once done, set your CallerID to that number. That way, if you choose to port in later, you can set your outgoing Voipo calls to show the CID of your primary (non-Voipo--other Voip provider, cell phone, POTS, etc) line. The other point I'd make, FWIW, is that when CallVantage closed up shop, I ported my home number to Voipo, and my wife has not complained. :)

I don't really know when the maintenance windows are. I can say that I have not noticed any regular periods of phone downtime, just an occasional blip that never lasts for long. (As a Founder's Plan recipient, I have sip credentials and operate my line on an Asterisk system. For my own morbid curiosity, I installed a script that checks the registration status of each of my Voip accounts, including Voipo, every five minutes. I haven't gotten a notification since Nov 8 (that was a single occurrence, less than 10 min duration); the last 'downtime' (defined as two or more consecutive notices, such as 7:40 and 7:45, or 3 notices within a half hour inclusive, such as 12:00, 12:15, and 12:30) was Oct 31 at (unfortunately) about 7:30-8AM. Prior to that, I had opted to switch servers at one point in August (forget the reason), and I didn't reset my script, so I got false outage notices... Point is, I haven't been significantly impacted by maintenance windows.

As for the 2nd year free offer... The main difference between that offer ($175 for year one, 2nd year free) and the current offer ($99/yr) was $25 over 2 years, plus they apparently didn't collect the taxes/fees for the second year ($36) for a total of $61 in savings over 2 years. It being Black Friday and all, I can't speak ill of saving $61, but over 2 years, that's under $2/mo... I would confirm with someone in sales, but many of the promotions they currently offer are also available to existing customers. So, if you sign up on a monthly plan, you may be able to 'upgrade' to an annual plan, should you decide to port your primary number back in. Of course, with Voipo's early termination policy, you can get the $99 plan up front and should you leave early, your refund would be calculated at $99 - (months used * per-month rate of $15), so there's no real disadvantage to signing up for the annual plan right off the bat (except, of course, for the up-front cost).

One other comment, in case it matters to you: Voipo is sending out RT31P2 devices now--you probably will not get a PAP2T.

Oh, and sorry for the long-winded reply.

usa2k
11-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Welcome back!

I would say things are very quiet but that is good.

Canadian Virtual numbers.
You can upgrade the 2nd line to a separate number from a virtual number
(And you can switch back)
Remote access number(California exchange) and dial back out.
(Handy for calling Canada.)
No password needed for verified numbers. (The number is called and a code is entered to validate you have access to the number.)
Any outgoing CID can be set to a primary, virtual, or validated number.
SimulRing or Call Hunt in beta.
More real time billing in process for express accounts
maybe lower cost forwarding to SIP in the works.
maybe more competitive rates in the works.
Most, if not all servers moved out of The Planet where a few isolated service interruptions were happening.
Now there are Texas, and East and West data centers for servers.
No more Grandstream
Now PAP2T ATA (Optional) and RT31P2 Router/ATA (Primary)
(Either could be supplied if you don't specify.)
Call recording beta feature.
Scheduling of DND and Call Forwarding on vPanel Beta
API access to Star codes
SMS access to star codes

And the beat goes on ....

abward
11-27-2009, 10:39 PM
fisamo, thanks man. The fake caller ID thingy sounds cool, and quite useful.

It sounds like the service has matured and is worth me looking seriously at again.

I have F9 now, and it seems like that service is stagnant, but it is reliable.

abward
11-27-2009, 10:42 PM
usa2k, thanks for the useful reply. So you are saying that I can request a PAP2T? Is this extra cost? Am I right in assuming that this is actually the better of the two adapters? I would be plugging this in behind my router, not in front.

Thanks

usa2k
11-27-2009, 10:45 PM
They will send you one at no cost anyway.
I would email support@voipo.com to ensure PAP2T if that is your preference.

You can also do unsupported BYOD or softphone by using a separate server that they provide credentials you can use, by selecting the feature in vPanel (all automated)

BYOD will not work until you register the provided ATA.
Only the provided ATA can do the upgraded 2-Line feature.
I don't know if virtual numbers will ring a BYOD ATA either?

I like to keep things simple. The PAP2T has worked very well for me.

usa2k
11-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Also you can do file to FAX via vPanel for occasional FAXING.
(included free)
It is sent over TDM, not VoIP, so reliability should be high.
You can also add dedicated FAX to email with a Toll-Free, or Local number. ($36)
LNP is not likely for FAX because they have the special TDM routing.

BTW: Virtual numbers are $24/yr on Residential Plan.

ALSO:
I suggest getting signed up before they go to itemized charges versus current $36/yr fee.
They have talked about going itemized, but have not yet made the switch.
There is a good chance that current customers will not be switched to itemized.

Also Also:
If a better deal comes along, VOIPo seems nice enough that they would agree to move you over.
They also will likely double/extend the contract before your year is up.
They have nor problem with Renew Often/Renew Early :)

fisamo
11-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure how the 'request a PAP2T' goes over at this point--the only way to know for sure is to ask support, as suggested by usa2k. It shouldn't cost any more than the RT31P2, which, I believe, is what you'd get if you don't specify. IMO, the PAP2T adapter is a better one to have, in that it's widely available as an unlocked unit, so there's a lot of knowledge about it out there. Granted, you'd be locked out of the advanced features, but you may be able to get Voipo to customize your config file if you need special settings. The PAP2T is also a smaller and (IMO) better-looking unit. As it has only one ethernet port, it must go behind a router...

If you're sending support a message about which adapter you'd get, you may as well ask about the availability of promotions to existing customers, as discussed earlier. The $99/yr pricing shows up as an option in my vPanel to renew, but there's no guarantee that it would show up in a new customer's vPanel. That's why I suggest you ask about it.

abward
11-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I signed up again, and requested the PAP2T-NA. If I can somehow scrounge up 135 more dollars, I will try to add an extra year while we can still get the "deal".

Thanks for all your help!

Gene Steinberg
11-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Welcome back!

I would say things are very quiet but that is good.

Canadian Virtual numbers.
You can upgrade the 2nd line to a separate number from a virtual number
(And you can switch back)
Remote access number(California exchange) and dial back out.
(Handy for calling Canada.)
No password needed for verified numbers. (The number is called and a code is entered to validate you have access to the number.)
Any outgoing CID can be set to a primary, virtual, or validated number.
SimulRing or Call Hunt in beta.
More real time billing in process for express accounts
maybe lower cost forwarding to SIP in the works.
maybe more competitive rates in the works.
Most, if not all servers moved out of The Planet where a few isolated service interruptions were happening.
Now there are Texas, and East and West data centers for servers.
No more Grandstream
Now PAP2T ATA (Optional) and RT31P2 Router/ATA (Primary)
(Either could be supplied if you don't specify.)
Call recording beta feature.
Scheduling of DND and Call Forwarding on vPanel Beta
API access to Star codes
SMS access to star codes

And the beat goes on ....

OK, how does one "verify" a number to be included in Caller ID status?

What is the Mobile feature about, where you add your mobile number? I can't find any documentation that explains its purpose.

Just FYI: I came and went early this year for similar reasons, such as network glitches and certain missing features. I'm back now and, after a few connection problems at the starting gate, things are working just great. So it looks like I'm staying.

Now if they could only lower the International rates. They are just not competitive.

Peace,
Gene

usa2k
11-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I wish I could explain with an image about verifying a phone number.
The site will not accept image uploads like it used to.

You put a number in vPanel => Beta => Mobile
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/mobile

Then that number rings, and you enter the same code displayed on vPanel.
You then have the beginning of a list where you can toggle Auto-Login on and off. (For the remote Access Number.)

In vPanel => Beta => Caller ID
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/caller_id

You can select a number from the list to Set Outgoing CID.

Its really that simple

Gene Steinberg
11-28-2009, 11:55 AM
I wish I could explain with an image about verifying a phone number.
The site will not accept image uploads like it used to.

You put a number in vPanel => Beta => Mobile
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/mobile

Then that number rings, and you enter the same code displayed on vPanel.
You then have the beginning of a list where you can toggle Auto-Login on and off. (For the remote Access Number.)

In vPanel => Beta => Caller ID
https://secure.voipo.com/beta/caller_id

You can select a number from the list to Set Outgoing CID.

Its really that simple

The steps are clear, but not the purpose. So what's the Auto-login in relation to the mobile number? Is that feature being added to the list of available Caller ID numbers to display? Details please.

Peace,
Gene

VOIPoTim
11-28-2009, 12:18 PM
The steps are clear, but not the purpose. So what's the Auto-login in relation to the mobile number? Is that feature being added to the list of available Caller ID numbers to display? Details please.

Peace,
Gene

Auto-login is for a feature that hasn't been pushed into BETA yet that allows you to dial an access number from the registered mobile number and get a dial tone to call out using the VOIPo account. This mainly for people who want to make international calls billed at the VOIPo rate vs a mobile rate OR for people to call in and use the * codes to manage their VOIPo line.

It's not been pushed out yet, but will be soon after more testing.

Gene Steinberg
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Auto-login is for a feature that hasn't been pushed into BETA yet that allows you to dial an access number from the registered mobile number and get a dial tone to call out using the VOIPo account. This mainly for people who want to make international calls billed at the VOIPo rate vs a mobile rate OR for people to call in and use the * codes to manage their VOIPo line.

It's not been pushed out yet, but will be soon after more testing.
Thanks Tim.

That is really neat.

Anything you can do about negotiating a better International package? Your rates are on the higher end in the industry. We have a son in Spain and would use more than our 60 minute monthly allotment were it not for Skype, even though call quality isn't so good via that route.

Peace,
Gene

usa2k
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Spain is included in the free 60 minutes of international calling to select countries.
http://www.voipo.com/info/free-int-destinations.html

(Another new thing I forgot to list!)

Gene Steinberg
11-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Spain is included in the free 60 minutes of international calling to select countries.
http://www.voipo.com/info/free-int-destinations.html

(Another new thing I forgot to list!)
I know. I'm thinking of when it is used up.

Peace,
Gene

abward
11-28-2009, 04:48 PM
I don't know about you all, but everyone I know in Europe has a mobile, not a land-line. I understand that it costs way more to call a mobile, but it is a shame that I will hardly be ever able to use these 60 free minutes. Thanks VOIPo anyway.

Gene Steinberg
11-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I don't know about you all, but everyone I know in Europe has a mobile, not a land-line. I understand that it costs way more to call a mobile, but it is a shame that I will hardly be ever able to use these 60 free minutes. Thanks VOIPo anyway.

It's always more expensive for mobile. The whole pricing system is backwards, but that's what it is.

Peace,
Gene

johndavid
11-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Welcome back!http://www.adsoluble.com/user/F/N.gif

sal
11-29-2009, 07:37 PM
It will be nice to have the access number soon.