PDA

View Full Version : Which dd-wrt bin file should I use, VOIP or STD?

Hawkmeister
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I've spent 3 hours perusing the dd-wrt website and forums. I've identified the correct download for my WRT54GS ver 1.0 router. The only question I have left is which bin file to download - STD or VOIP?

Is there any advantage of one over to other for VOIPO usage (I have a PAP2T behind the router)? Any help is much appreciated.

abward
12-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I have that exact same router and model. I use: DD-WRT v24 (05/20/08) voip

Works like a champ.

kbuck320
12-06-2009, 10:18 AM
The answer is .. it doesn't matter what version you use, if you are using a device like the PAP2.

The main addition in the "voip" version of dd-wrt is SIPatH, a SIP proxy.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions

In short, you can use any version of dd-wrt that suits you, your router, and other requirements. The voip version is not necessary. I use the mini version, myself.

Xponder1
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
The answer is .. it doesn't matter what version you use, if you are using a device like the PAP2.

The main addition in the "voip" version of dd-wrt is SIPatH, a SIP proxy.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions

In short, you can use any version of dd-wrt that suits you, your router, and other requirements. The voip version is not necessary. I use the mini version, myself.

True I use the micro version with no problems.

Hawkmeister
12-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. I was mostly concerned about the VOIP vs STD. Sounds like VOIP version is not necessary. I'll be installing this upcoming weekend. I've got the router version with the large flash area, so I don't need the VINT micro or mini version. Wish me luck!

kbuck320
12-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Indeed, good luck. I've bricked a number of routers getting them to dd-wrt. Been able to unbrick most, but not all. Make sure you search their forums on your model and see if anyone has had trouble flashing.

Hawkmeister
12-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Installed the firmware successfully today!

I'm now operational on the VINT MINI version. Re-read some of the documentation (for the 3rd time) and noticed a comment (start with the MINI - you can upgrade to the STD later).

Now, time to play around with all the new features and configuration settings.

Woo hoo!

Hawkmeister
01-16-2010, 10:50 PM
It's been over 1 month since installing the dd-wrt firmware. I have run flawlessly (not even a single hickup). All of my intermittent issues have completely disappeared.

I am now an official believer in replacing the stock Linksys firmware.

VOIPoTim
01-17-2010, 05:03 AM
It's been over 1 month since installing the dd-wrt firmware. I have run flawlessly (not even a single hickup). All of my intermittent issues have completely disappeared.

I am now an official believer in replacing the stock Linksys firmware.

We see this a lot, but some customers don't believe us.

I believe we're at a point where the router someone has is more important than the internet connection 99% of the time.

What kind of intermittent issues were you having before that were solved with the change?

burris
01-17-2010, 05:07 AM
Tim..

I have an ASUS router and since I installed DD-WRT, I don't remember the last time I had to reboot it..and the QOS seems to do a pretty good job.

Hawkmeister
01-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Tim,

The most frequent issue I experienced were audio disconnects in the middle of a call (usually at least 15 minutes into the call). Most of the time, I could hear the other party. But, they couldn't hear me.

I also had a few 'fast busy' issues when answering a call.

scott2020
01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Tim,

The most frequent issue I experienced were audio disconnects in the middle of a call (usually at least 15 minutes into the call). Most of the time, I could hear the other party. But, they couldn't hear me.

I also had a few 'fast busy' issues when answering a call.

Can anyone share their QOS settings for DD-WRT? I have not been able to make QOS work right. Tomato was very easy but I can't seem to get DD-WRT to work as well.

burris
01-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Can anyone share their QOS settings for DD-WRT? I have not been able to make QOS work right. Tomato was very easy but I can't seem to get DD-WRT to work as well.

I have the mini WRT and turned on the QOS...entered the MAC of my ATA in the MAC priority field and set it to premium.
If I get ambitious one day, right now I'm building a new PC, I will set up a routine of experiments with the ethernet fields and whatever else resides in there.

If Tomato was OK, why did you change it?
I was going to up to Tomato to see what happens. Fortunately both my ASUS routers are very sympathetic to allowing me to unbrick when I screw up..

scott2020
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I have the mini WRT and turned on the QOS...entered the MAC of my ATA in the MAC priority field and set it to premium.
If I get ambitious one day, right now I'm building a new PC, I will set up a routine of experiments with the ethernet fields and whatever else resides in there.

If Tomato was OK, why did you change it?
I was going to up to Tomato to see what happens. Fortunately both my ASUS routers are very sympathetic to allowing me to unbrick when I screw up..

I did the same kind of setup with DD and also tried by IP address, but I found a lot of audio breakups on my 6/768 DSL no matter what I set the upstream and downstream to in the settings.

I still run tomato but I was just trying something different. With tomato I put in my upstream/downstream and put my ATA to the highest QOS setting, and it works. I thought DD-WRT would be the same but I haven't found it is. I can run full speed tests while talking on the phone with zero breakups using Tomato.

I suppose I should just "if it ain't broke" and leave it! ;)

It just bugs me DD isn't working for me is all.

burris
01-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Are you using 1.27...that's the one I was going to try..

scott2020
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Are you using 1.27...that's the one I was going to try..

I am still on 1.25 and had 1.21 before that. With 1.21 I had problems if I was registering more than about 3 trunks from my Asterisk box to different providers. I can't pinpoint exactly what or how it messed up since it was quite random, but I have 4 registrations now on 1.25 without any problems. I also changed the unreplied timeout UDP setting to 10 I think? I'd have to look it up . There were a few threads here and on DSLR about that setting.