PDA

View Full Version : Contacts with international numbers

kjpus
12-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I've been using VOIPo for only a few weeks and am loving it. I'm in the process of porting my number from Verizon to VOIPo. I don't think I will ever want to look back.

With that being said, there are some features I'd like to see. For one thing, it seems the contact list only supports 10-digit numbers. It would be nice to support international numbers.

lost_
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
^ x2.

International numbers are the bastard children in VOIPo system.. not being able to save Speed Dial (outgoing call routing) with an Intl number is another example. Did VOIPo database only allocate 10 digits for the phone number field in the user-customizable settings? I'm curious.

VOIPoTim
01-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Our system is currently designed for 10 digit numbers only based on the way they are stored.

We can add the suggestion to the list for future release. One of the original decision factors was limiting abuse. Many users say they did not make international calls when they did and if we allowed it in speeddial it would be a lot easier for someone to claim they "accidentally" dialed an international number since it could be a 3 digit code or something similar.

With VoIP fraud is extremely high so we have to design our system to limit it.

usa2k
01-13-2010, 04:37 AM
Many users say they did not make international calls when they did and if we allowed it in speeddial it would be a lot easier for someone to claim they "accidentally" dialed an international number since it could be a 3 digit code or something similar.

VoIP fraud is extremely high so we have to design our system to limit it. Sounds like a FAQ

voipoh
01-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Am I missing something?
I can't find any way to originate a call from the contact list.

What is this 3 digit dialing code?

JimDog
01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Am I missing something?
I can't find any way to originate a call from the contact list.

What is this 3 digit dialing code?
The Outbound Call Routes feature in vPanel (Features, Call Routes) can be used to simulate speed dials. For example, you can create an outbound call route for phone number "456" with an action to forward it to another phone number which in essence creates a speed dial so that when you dial 456 the system connects you to the longer 10-digit phone number.

usa2k
01-13-2010, 10:17 AM
https://secure.voipo.com/features/call_routes

sun
10-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Our system is currently designed for 10 digit numbers only based on the way they are stored.

We can add the suggestion to the list for future release. One of the original decision factors was limiting abuse. Many users say they did not make international calls when they did and if we allowed it in speeddial it would be a lot easier for someone to claim they "accidentally" dialed an international number since it could be a 3 digit code or something similar.

With VoIP fraud is extremely high so we have to design our system to limit it.

I can understand the concern, but limiting a feature as solution for user mistakes doesn't seem to make much sense. Unable to save international numbers also adds complexity while (1) answering an incoming international call and (2) looking at call logs as those numbers are too long to remember & recognize. I hope you will extend this feature in your future release. Thanks.

TimW
10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
It's also a PITA as the caller ID number comes thru without the full intl dialling code.

Of course the simple solution is to program the phone with the number, but as I have a phone in almost every room in the house, this meant programming 6 different phones with every intl number I dial. Not difficult, but still an PITA.