View Full Version : Help with BLOCKED CALLS

MisterEd
12-09-2009, 12:11 PM
This is why a "help" section is needed for features:

I guess I am confused between:

Block calls marked as private
and
Block all Unknown Calls

#1) What is the difference between "private" and "unknown" calls?

#2) I had "Block all Unknown Calls" set and my wife tried calling home from her cell phone and I tried on my cell as well. The cell phone caller ID shows up as "CELL PHONE NJ 908-XXX-XXXX" (actual number replaces the X's) but the call gets blocked when set as "Block all Unknown Calls."

Is this the correct action? Even using the "unblock prefix" before dialing doesn't pass the call since it's not really a blocked call.

usa2k
12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
If you block UNKNOWN CALLS.
I believe only white listed calls get through.

I do that, but I wildcard whitelist local exchanges.

VOIPoTim
12-09-2009, 12:23 PM
For the options under "Private Call Blocking"....

Block Private Calls - Blocks calls that are sent to us and flagged as private properly.

Block Unknown Calls - Blocks the above calls AND calls that do not have a name.

There is very little standardization in the industry. Some providers send the calls with a privacy to block the caller ID, but many VoIP providers don't this this...they just take the name out.

The block all unknown is the most strict and blocks anything regardless of the method they send it in. Before we added this, a lot of blocked calls from other VoIP providers were getting through.

If all carriers did things correctly and send the "privacy flag", this wouldn't be needed.

MisterEd
12-09-2009, 06:41 PM
That sounds like overkill. MANY providers (mostly cell and also voip) do not provide CNAM. I feel that if the CID number is "valid" the call should be passsed. AT&T Wireless here doesn't provice CNAM and since it is not actually "blocked" no AT&T user can call my home because they can't "unblock" what isn't blocked.

As you know ANY CID/CNAM can be spoofed (there are dozens of webites that will do it for you for 5c a call) if the caller REALLY wants to. IMO anything with a valid format PHONE NUMBER should be passed unless the name says "private" or whatever but if the number is valid then the name won't usually show private unless it is truly spoofed.

Maybe my name REALLY is "CELL PHONE NJ"! :D

Edit: Wait, my caller ID when I call my house from my CELL shows CELL PHONE NJ along with the proper number. Are you saying that is showing up as no name at all on your system which is why it is being rejected?

For the options under "Private Call Blocking"....

Block Private Calls - Blocks calls that are sent to us and flagged as private properly.

Block Unknown Calls - Blocks the above calls AND calls that do not have a name.

There is very little standardization in the industry. Some providers send the calls with a privacy to block the caller ID, but many VoIP providers don't this this...they just take the name out.

The block all unknown is the most strict and blocks anything regardless of the method they send it in. Before we added this, a lot of blocked calls from other VoIP providers were getting through.

If all carriers did things correctly and send the "privacy flag", this wouldn't be needed.

VOIPoBrandon
12-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Cell Phone NJ is not interpreted as blocked, however:

Restricted, Anonymous, Unavailable, Unknown, etc.

is blocked.

The main issue that is run into is the decision of what is the happy medium of "To allow the call through, or to not allow the call through". This is why we give you guys a bit of assortment.

Simply put the way calls are delivered from network to network are not completely standardized as far as a VoIP aspect and they may or may not include a "special identifying flag" which states the call is blocked or not.

The correct way to send a call in VoIP would be to include the ANI/Caller-ID information however to set a flag "stating do not show this Caller-ID" information. This has created issues for carriers who wish to allow Caller-ID protection and allow their users to call as Restricted because, not all "receiving" end carriers will obey this and protect identity upon receipt of the call, it's almost like a double edge sword because the "Sending" carriers do not send the Caller-ID Info / ANI and flag the call, yet simply mangle the actual data being sent across the network so that the Caller-ID information is invalid in fear of it being relayed to the end user and the "Receiving" carriers do not know whether to block this call based on Flag Identifier information, or to simply allow the call.

I hope this allows some further insight as to why these two methods are available. Thanks!
________
Hot box vaporizer (http://hotboxvaporizers.com)

MisterEd
12-09-2009, 10:28 PM
OK, then why is "Cell Phone NJ" with a valid phone number rejected under the "Block all Unknown Calls" option. :)

What makes that any more "invalid" then "LINDEN RECREATION" or "NJSIA" or "JOHN DOE" with valid phone numbers under the "Block all Unknown Calls" selection. My guess is that hardly anyone would use that option because 3/4 of all calls would not get through.

Is there a more detailed listing of what gets blocked by "Block all Unknown Calls" ?

Also, while I have your attention, just curious as to how often call logs get updated? As of 6PM my most recent calls showing was at around 1PM and I made a number of calls after 1PM. Now, at 11PM most everything is there but there are still a couple recent calls missing.

And finally, since only Voipo customers have access to this forum why is the Captcha still required?

Sorry to be a PITA. :p

Thanks,
Ed

-<clipped>- Cell Phone NJ is not interpreted as blocked, however:

Restricted, Anonymous, Unavailable, Unknown, etc.

is blocked.

VOIPoBrandon
12-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Please PM me Call Reference ID's you are referring to in regards to the calls getting blocked. You can do this by viewing your Call History and clicking on either Call From or Call To phone number, and you will then see the 'Call Reference ID' for that specific call. Thanks!
________
Kawasaki Kdx220A (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Kawasaki_KDX220A)

voipinit
12-10-2009, 06:58 AM
I have "block all unknown calls" set and I get calls from "Cell Phone GA" all the time, with no problem with it coming thru. Do you have any call routes set where maybe you have "all unknown contacts" set as blocked? This will block anybody who is not on your contact list. Just an idea.

MisterEd
12-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I have "block all unknown calls" set and I get calls from "Cell Phone GA" all the time, with no problem with it coming thru. Do you have any call routes set where maybe you have "all unknown contacts" set as blocked? This will block anybody who is not on your contact list. Just an idea.

Just started service 2 days ago and nothing is set other then default options.