PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for FAX support?

SingleBbl
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
If I'm reading your website correctly, Voipo does not have support for FAX. ooma, however, does.

http://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgebase/connecting-fax-machine-ooma

Can you tell me if Voipo is planning to add FAX support?

usa2k
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
http://www.voipo.com/fax-to-email.shtml

Free file-2-FAX outbound with Residential.
VoIP is not a good FAX medium.
VOIPo does the smart thing and offers an alternative.

Some stubborn customers have used FAX successfully in spite of it being very ISP dependent.

SingleBbl
01-12-2010, 11:14 AM
VoIP is not a good FAX medium.

That's interesting ... near as I can tell from reading the ooma forums it's working just fine for them.

VOIPo does the smart thing and offers an alternative.

It's not really much of an alternative if it only works one way.

tylerscell1
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
VoIP if i am correct is VOICE over IP so your lucky they are offering fax service in general... Im not sure about your question... Sounds like what happens is beyond there control...

VOIPoJustin
01-12-2010, 12:26 PM
We offer both standalone toll-free and local POTS-based electronic fax service, as a separate Express Product (this includes unlimited incoming and outgoing faxing).

Additionally, we offer outgoing fax functionality (within vPanel) as an included feature with all VOIPo Residential Accounts. Incoming fax service can be secured from within a users Residential control panel for an additional cost.

Lastly, as others have stated we do not officially support faxing over VOIPo Residential Service due to inherent issues with faxing over VoIP in general. With that said, many of our users have physical fax machines connected to their VOIPo hardware and function without any issues (we just refrain from offering support).

frvrngn
01-29-2010, 01:03 PM
I tried fax with Vonage for years. Horrible! I tried machines from every manufacturer, went through multiple "fixes" and some would work occasionally. I could usually get 1-2 pages to go through 75-80% of the time. Anything more then that would result in communication errors of some sort.

I do use Voipo's premium fax service now and am very pleased with it. Most of my faxing can be done via email now, but on the occasion I do need access to an actual POTS fax machine, their service works perfectly.

johndavid
02-02-2010, 03:32 PM
This is good to know, sounds like it is possiblehttp://www.adsoluble.com/user/F/N.gif

Brooke Lynn
02-09-2010, 11:41 PM
This may come as a silly ques, but I currently have phone service through the cable company's modem, so I assume it's voip. I rarely fax (approx 7x/yr), but when I do I've never encountered a problem. Is it fair for me to expect the same results with voipo?

VOIPoTim
02-09-2010, 11:48 PM
This may come as a silly ques, but I currently have phone service through the cable company's modem, so I assume it's voip. I rarely fax (approx 7x/yr), but when I do I've never encountered a problem. Is it fair for me to expect the same results with voipo?

No all VoIP networks are different and won't function the same. Faxing over VoIP is never guaranteed but may work in ideal network conditions. VoIP networks are designed for voice, so faxing just isn't going to be 100% on a voice only network.

ronsyevens
06-24-2010, 08:33 PM
No all VoIP networks are different and won't function the same. Faxing over VoIP is never guaranteed but may work in ideal network conditions. VoIP networks are designed for voice, so faxing just isn't going to be 100% on a voice only network.

FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work. You can sometimes arrange things so a fairly high percentage of FAXes get through OK. You can occassionally create setups that work 100% of the time. These are rare and unrepeatable setups. You need to use a proper FAX over IP protocol, such as T.38, to achieve consistent reliable FAXing across IP networks.

FAX, and other modem applications, operating over VoIP channels are quirky, and unreliable. This will not get better over time. It will get worse. In general, the more sophisticated the equipment gets in trying to make speech work smoothly, the worse it behaves for modems. In the near term (i.e. until all data applications are native IP applications) store and forward protocols, and protocols tailored to reasonably conveying modem data across an IP channel are the only way to achieve consistent results.

Ron Stevens

timwidmer
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
So the alternative is fax to email - incoming.. right?

chex
07-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Not to be snarky, but:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11222006

Fax is so antiquated. If you really need to have real honest-to-goodness fax machine support, and the various online and email-to-fax services that VOIPO and others provide for you dont work, then I think you need to stick with a POTS or Cable Co POTS line, which will support POTS faxing fine.

I have to send maybe 5 faxes a year, and I use my scanner, with the various online services available, and now VOIPO has a free interface you can use to send PDF's as faxes, that should be sufficient for 90% of the people out there. If not, pay for the POTS line and use it that way..

-- Chex in Montreal

Can you tell me if Voipo is planning to add FAX support?

stevech
07-01-2010, 11:05 PM
"FAXing over VoIP networks doesn't work."

Too much of a generalized statement to be correct.
I say
FAXing using a VoIP ATA that tries to pass high speed FAX analog works sometime, with some VoIP providers, and with some degree of congestion on the ISP/Internet. better success can be had by changing your FAX machine to use a low speed, say, 4800 baud.

VoIP on private networks such as frame relay often works.

Almost all FAX attempts I made using xxx VoIP service succeeded, but not so others.

It seems that if you have an ATA that supports the T38 standard, analog FAX can work just fine - IF your VoIP provider does end to end support of T38. Few do.

Therefore
FAXing over [low cost commodity] VoIP networks [with cheap ATAs] doesn't work.

Jack
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the information....

Google (http://www.google.com)

erie910
08-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I must be one of the stubborn ones. I use FAX over VoIP regularly. Sometimes, I get a "poor line condition" error, but if I slow the FAX speed to 9600 bps and disable error correction, most of my FAXes go through. And I FAX daily.

ai2000
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM

Big difference is the quality of VOIP.
-Time warner VOIP was never down, never had problems.
-They also secured the VOIP traffic in their own network from your house so they had
a. more control of the quality so they offered fax service on normal fax machines for free
b. had increased security. this is subjective but feel that it is more secure. Moved from Time Warner willing to take this hopefully small risk.
c. VOIP overall is better at Time Warner. Call quality, ability to make calls all the time was far better on Time Warner.

RuebenStevie91
04-06-2015, 10:39 PM
just a heads up, up to now does voipo has a fax support? I've been searching for a fax support with voip and my friend told me to visit Foiply because they have one i don't know if they are reliable enough but my friend insisted and he said that it's very reliable. Just want to ask if any of you know foiply?or please do give an honest opinion about it i visited their site. Here https://www.foiply.com/online-fax.html

Ansextra
04-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I've been with Voipo for about 1.5 years and it has had fax support for all of that time. Look in VPanel under "features".

PBonnibelX
09-02-2015, 01:08 PM
FastPBX (fastpbx.com) offers fax support included in plan. Other providers tend to charge extra fees for many features.