PDA

View Full Version : Incoming problems

energyx
12-15-2009, 08:02 PM
I have a ticket open, but I thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has seen a similar problem. I recently moved to a Time Warner only area and they couldn't transfer my old number, so I thought I'd give Voipo a try. Well, after a rough start and being moved to the west server, things were looking good. Call quality was good and calls seemed to be reliable. Over the last few weeks though, we are getting incoming calls that are either dead air, or a fast busy on our end when we pick up.

The ATA is plugged directly into the cable modem, so a router/firewall is not the issue. It happened at least twice today with different callers and the SAF (Spouse Approval Factor) is dropping quickly. I don't know if it is something Roadrunner is causing, or possibly the ATA acting up. I love the features and capability of the service, but if this doesn't get resolved, I will have to switch.

One thing I notice when the problem happens is under the device tab in vPanel, it shows 3 or 4 connections when there are typically only 2. It does go back to 2 connections and everything seems to return to normal shortly after.

Edit: I just noticed this thread, so I'm not the only one http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1781

caseydoug
12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
The ATA is plugged directly into the cable modem, so a router/firewall is not the issue.

You probably know this already, but cable modems often act as router/firewall, so it COULD be part of the problem . . .

energyx
12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Whatever it is, it is getting worse. Now we can't even receive most incoming calls and still no response from support. Looks like I'll have to call when I get home.

energyx
12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
After a call to TS and speaking with Cody, he had level 2 support contact me for more details. It looked like some type of networking issue, which made me take a closer look at my configuration. I had a switch between the cable modem and ATA that I didn't think about. I removed it and so far all incoming calls have been perfect this evening. I will post with an update after a few solid days.

usa2k
12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Interesting. Wondering what brand/model of switch.
Mine is behind a Netgear FS108 8-port switch.

energyx
12-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Interesting. Wondering what brand/model of switch.
Mine is behind a Netgear FS108 8-port switch.

It's an old Linksys 10/100 5 port. It may have been a coincidence, so I'll have to wait and see.

energyx
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Just an update. So far, 3 days and no problems since I removed the switch. I would never have guessed that a switch would cause problems I was seeing.

usa2k
12-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I guess trying the switch might solidify that proof.

bwyatt
12-20-2009, 07:33 PM
It's an off and on problem with me and continues to be. As soon as I can report a call that doesn't go though, it connects when it's checked shortly after.

I just got a phone call while I'm typing this and ... fast busy. I've learned to hit *69 and it calls the number and almost always connect on the return ring.

fisamo
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Has support indicated any pattern with the calls you have reported? (particular error messages that frequently occur, etc) I assume that you include the Call reference ID when reporting the calls...

chpalmer
12-22-2009, 12:19 AM
It's an old Linksys 10/100 5 port. It may have been a coincidence, so I'll have to wait and see.

Sure your switch is not a hub?

Hubs and voip dont go together...

energyx
12-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Sure your switch is not a hub?

Hubs and voip dont go together...

Nope. It's an EZXS55W 5 Port workgroup switch circa 2000/2001. It is the older style of this model from before Cisco bought them out. http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-EZXS55W-EtherFast-5-Port-Workgroup/dp/B00003006E

My old ISP included 3 public IPs per modem, so I always had an external switch between the modem and the router for testing purposes. It really serves no purpose with Roadrunner, so removing it was no loss. We haven't had any dropped calls since.