PDA

View Full Version : Voicemail Questions/Feature Requests

caseydoug
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm sure the answer is buried somewhere in these threads, but I have two voicemail questions:

1. Is there a number I can call to reach my voicemail from outside the system without calling my VOIPo number, e.g., when I need to check my voicemail in the middle of the night and don't want the phone to ring? The previous number, (800) 838-7000 seems to be out of service.

2. When listening to "saved" messages, is there a way to skip a message in order to get more quickly to the message I want.

If the answer to these questions is "no," please consider this a feature request.

caseydoug
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Question #1 is answered: the number is (832) 838-7000. Thanks to usa2k.

caseydoug
12-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Bump -- I'm still hoping someone has an answer to question #2: Is there a way to skip messages you are reviewing over the phone. Thanks.

sr98user
12-18-2009, 05:50 PM
If you press 2 while the message is being played, it will save the message and move on to the next one. I couldn't try it now since I have only one message. If you press 7 then it deletes the message and moves on the next message.

usa2k
12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I pointed out I hope constructively in a ticket a while back, that VM plays saved messages before new ones. Perhaps it is doing thing chronologically? If so, I would prefer the reverse chronological order - but that would be a band-aid.

Consecutive messages by one person could be confusing in reverse order.
Playing new messages in order is all I want.
Saved messages should be a different option.

I think most people delete messages after they hear them, or only check them from email attachments. Otherwise I expect there would be more complaints.

NOW: About question #2, "Can you skip to the next message" (Rephrased)
I have not found a way to do it, but a button to do so would be great!

A skip to previous message could be handy too!

sr98user
12-18-2009, 06:03 PM
For me, it plays only the new messages. If I need to access the saved messages, I have press 2 in the main menu.

When its playing the new messages, I have not noticed the order.

usa2k
12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Maybe I need to create a few messages and save some.
I just usually delete these days, hope it improved!
I'll report about the new test when it is done.

usa2k
12-18-2009, 07:31 PM
OK, things are much better than the last time I kept a message for a while!

The combination of hearing a message, saving(skipping) works very well.
Its time for me to stop whining and admit it works very well!
No saved messages were involuntarily played.

7 Delete
2 Save/Skip

My old ticket was from 9/23/2009.

I ran a second test where I saved the 1st two saved messages in a different folder using vPanel. The 3rd and 4th messages played as the newest - all was well. Messages 1 and 2 were not available by the phone access now that they were in a sub folder. In hindsight, I think these were playing first back when I complained. No complaints today. Like everything VOIPo, it seems like most things only get better.

There is still a chance my experience was operator error back then ... it sure seemed legit at the time!

buckethead
12-18-2009, 09:32 PM
On the topic of voicemail features and requests - what about adding in a trash folder for deleted messages instead of them being completely wiped out right away? Every once in a while it would be nice to grab a message I might have deleted a day or two earlier. Put some kind of purge cycle on it - something like a couple of days or a week?

sr98user
12-19-2009, 07:37 AM
On the topic of voicemail features and requests - what about adding in a trash folder for deleted messages instead of them being completely wiped out right away? Every once in a while it would be nice to grab a message I might have deleted a day or two earlier. Put some kind of purge cycle on it - something like a couple of days or a week?

I have accidentally deleted the messages once or twice. Since I get notifications to my email address, I can access the voice messages there.

buckethead
12-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I have accidentally deleted the messages once or twice. Since I get notifications to my email address, I can access the voice messages there.
While that is an option, I think that having a trash within vPanel would be another great addition for those of us who do not get notifications via email.

caseydoug
12-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow, a lot of activity since I last checked this thread! Thanks for the suggestion about pressing "2" or "7" while the message is playing. That works for me.

The problem is that my wife tends to save her messages rather than delete them. The other day, someone left his phone number on a message to my wife's phone, and I needed to call him back quickly. That's when I found myself trying to get through a long list of messages from last summer in order to hear the recent one with the phone number. I hung up half-way through and got the message from my email. Pressing "2" effectively works as a "skip."

usa2k
12-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Delete to Trash and a 30 day purge of trash is a great idea!