PDA

View Full Version : PAP2 RESETS every hour. Normal?

MisterEd
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone else experiencing this? It does a full reset (power light goes red, phone lights go out and my 2 line Dect 6 wireless phones goes into "error mode" (both lines go off-hook and lights flash). The whole cycle lasts about 6 seconds.

Spoke with tech support (Cory) and he advises me the Pap2 is provisioned by Voipo to reboot itself every hour (seems like it happens more like every 30-40 minutes but it could be every hour).

fisamo
12-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Here's the thread I was thinking about:

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1743

You might want to point it out to Cory--The reboot every hour is not necessary and, IMO, your ATA should not be programmed to do so.

MisterEd
12-18-2009, 10:10 AM

You might want to point it out to Cory--The reboot every hour is not necessary and, IMO, your ATA should not be programmed to do so.

Cory isn't the easiest person to "communicate" with. :)

He also said if the phone wasn't in use it wouldn't reset. If that's correct at least that's good news although I have had 1 or 2 calls that were "dropped" but I blamed that on my wife's cell phone although from her work it's never happened before. Next time I get a dropped call I will check the "uptime."

fisamo
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
It shouldn't reset if you're using the phone line, but the other issue about errors in the provision file should be looked into, IMO.

MisterEd
12-18-2009, 12:42 PM
It shouldn't reset if you're using the phone line, but the other issue about errors in the provision file should be looked into, IMO. Also vPanel shows me connected to CENTRAL and I was supposedly moved to EAST since I am in NJ.

MisterEd
12-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Actually it seems to be resetting every HALF hour not every hour, usually at 29 and 59. My phones keep lighting up like a Christmas tree each time.

Russell
12-18-2009, 07:31 PM

I would agree. If a call comes in during the six seconds you say it takes to reboot, I can't see how you'll get the call.

voipinit
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, rebooting is not necessary routinely. Maybe Cory meant it is being re-provisioned every hour (should not occur when the phone is in use or off-hook), and that should never break a call, if it is support needs to get involved.

MisterEd
12-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Yeah, rebooting is not necessary routinely. Maybe Cory meant it is being re-provisioned every hour (should not occur when the phone is in use or off-hook), and that should never break a call, if it is support needs to get involved.

Hopefully it wouldn't kill a current call but it certainly would prevent a call from coming in.

The biggest issue for me is we have 2-line cordless Dect phones and everytime the router reboots and connection is lost to the phones two BIG BRIGHT RED error lights (1 for each line) come on for ~5 seconds. It's very annoying, aspecially in a dark bedroom or TV room for this to happen up to 2x an hour. My wife keeps telling me "it hasn't done that in over 3 years with our other provider" and I can't argue that point with her.

In any case, I'm hoping a fix is on the horizon. They are working on it for me. I've ported 2 numbers and committed to 3 full years of service and REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of changing again.

I like the Voipo features, pricing and excellent support and hopefully once I get through these initial startup issues (there are a couple others) it will be smooth sailing and I won't have to even think about phones for the next 3 years. :)

fisamo
12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Hopefully it wouldn't kill a current call but it certainly would prevent a call from coming in.

The biggest issue for me is we have 2-line cordless Dect phones and everytime the router reboots and connection is lost to the phones two BIG BRIGHT RED error lights (1 for each line) come on for ~5 seconds. It's very annoying, aspecially in a dark bedroom or TV room for this to happen up to 2x an hour. My wife keeps telling me "it hasn't done that in over 3 years with our other provider" and I can't argue that point with her.

In any case, I'm hoping a fix is on the horizon.

Short term fix: Electrical tape for the lights. :)

Seriously, though, since this issue was only recently resolved for another user in the forum, I'd reference that thread and be sure you're not experiencing the same problem (or if you are, that it gets fixed quickly).

MisterEd
12-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Short term fix: Electrical tape for the lights. :)

Seriously, though, since this issue was only recently resolved for another user in the forum, I'd reference that thread and be sure you're not experiencing the same problem (or if you are, that it gets fixed quickly).

It's being worked on. Hasn't rebooted for the last few hours.

Tape was a good idea but the lights are also the line selection buttons. Ultimately we just put a cloth over it in the bedroom. :)

PCM2
01-02-2010, 10:48 PM
I seem to have a similar issue. I have a multifunction printer/fax machine that's hooked up to the second port on my PAP2T. Every half hour to an hour, the entire LCD screen on the front of the printer lights up, as it does whenever the phone goes off hook. I can't tell what's causing it, but it didn't happen with my old VoIP provider. How can I tell if my adapter is resetting, as described here?

MisterEd
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I seem to have a similar issue. I have a multifunction printer/fax machine that's hooked up to the second port on my PAP2T. Every half hour to an hour, the entire LCD screen on the front of the printer lights up, as it does whenever the phone goes off hook. I can't tell what's causing it, but it didn't happen with my old VoIP provider. How can I tell if my adapter is resetting, as described here?

Send a ticket in. They fixed mine and now it rarely reboots.