PDA

View Full Version : Does forwarding calls between Voip providers affect call quality?

MisterEd
12-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Just wondering .... If an incoming call goes to a current Vonage number and is then forwarded to a Voipo number from Vonage would that affect the call quality any more then if the call is routed DIRECTLY to Voipo? In other words is it "garbage in garbage out" if the Vonage call is lousy quality to start will the end result from Voipo also be lousy?

VOIPoBrandon
12-24-2009, 12:17 PM
That is correct, think of it as a tunnel, it is not always end to end in a scenario like this, otherwise known as peering.

So for instance, say the following scenario occurs:

[Caller] -> [Vonage] -> [VOIPo] -> [Callee]

Between each hop is going to be a media gateway interconnecting the audio, So the answer is yes indeed this can effect call quality.

abward
12-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I had a similar situation forwarding from Future Nine, while my number was being ported, and did not notice much of a quality hit. I was doing SIP forwarding, which I don't know if Vonage can do.

MisterEd
12-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Then I'll wait till my number ports before complaing about eecchhooiinng. :)

ctaranto
12-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Then I'll wait till my number ports before complaing about eecchhooiinng. :)

But I assume that this would only happen on incoming calls (assuming you've disconnected the Vonage adapter and running with the VOIPo adapter). I'm doing the same things (forwarding calls from VoicePulse to VOIPo), but outgoing calls are VOIPo only.

-Craig

abward
12-28-2009, 07:39 AM
But I assume that this would only happen on incoming calls (assuming you've disconnected the Vonage adapter and running with the VOIPo adapter). I'm doing the same things (forwarding calls from VoicePulse to VOIPo), but outgoing calls are VOIPo only.

-Craig

That is correct, and the way Tim explained to me awhile back.

As for the echos, I still will sometimes hear a slight exho at the beginning of a call, but it resolves itself within a few seconds.

ctaranto
12-28-2009, 08:27 PM
That is correct, and the way Tim explained to me awhile back.

As for the echos, I still will sometimes hear a slight exho at the beginning of a call, but it resolves itself within a few seconds.

Same here. On a few calls, I will hear an echo for maybe the first 5-7 seconds. I assuming the RT adapter I'm using is "learning" to cancel the echo on each call depending on the internet latency at the time.

/c

MisterEd
12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Same here. On a few calls, I will hear an echo for maybe the first 5-7 seconds. I assuming the RT adapter I'm using is "learning" to cancel the echo on each call depending on the internet latency at the time.

/c
My PAP2 won't learn anything. I guess it needs remedial training.