PDA

View Full Version : VM notification via SMS

lost_
01-04-2010, 08:17 PM
I searched the forum for "SMS" and got nothing back. Does this work for you guys?

I tried configuring it with the numbering format below (with or without attachment, which shouldn't matter) and still have not been able to get any SMS notification.

+1NPANXX1234
1NPANXX1234
NPANXX1234

Email notification and MWI work fine. What am I missing?

usa2k
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Check with your cell service.
There should be an @carrier.com type ending.

buckethead
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
It does not go out as a SMS is the problem. It is sent out as a email so you need your full email address of your XXXXXXXXXX@carrier.com - this is how I have mine set up to receive a text of voicemail.

lost_
01-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I know that I can send an email to my cellphone, e.g, number@tmomail.net, but that's not what I want, nor what it looked like the SMS feature was intended to be.

The VM notification has two delivery options (plus MWI): 1) email with or without WAV attachment, and 2) SMS.

Email and MWI work, but SMS so far hasn't for me. Sure, I can setup my mail server to copy the notification to my inbox and forward my phone, but I want WAV attachment on my inbox and not on my phone (ok, I can further setup more complex rule on my mail server to drop the attachment before sending to my phone)... but... all that is unnecessary if SMS just works at it should.

I have a ticket open for this.. will post update.

VOIPoTim
01-05-2010, 12:45 PM
In the SMS field, you need to use XXXXXXXXXX@carrier.com there. It won't e-mail the attachment there and is a different notification message.

lost_
01-05-2010, 02:55 PM
1. Ok, using number@provider should be called "Email to SMS" as it is not a true SMS from Voipo, but I can definitely understand as it's not cheap to use an SMS gateway.

Voipo email -> Mobile Phone Provider's Email Server -> SMS Gateway -> Cell Phone.

Unfortunately, the message I got when I set it up this way was still about 1K in size, and it was delivered to my phone as an MMS.

(on the contrary, I can send a similar message from my email client to my phone directly that ends up as a true SMS, something as short as "Voicemail from 1234567890 <1234567890>" on the subject line only, in text format).

2. Prior to Tim's response, CS tried to put number@provider on the same field as the email target field, comma-separated. That worked too, again as an email to SMS, but it arrived on the phone as a 70K MMS (with the attachment). That would eat up my dataplan.

I prefer approach 1, and as I mentioned, it would be perfect if the email message from Voipo is further truncated (and sent as a plain text, if not already) so that it arrives on the phone as true SMS.

PCM2
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree. Email to SMS is not a true SMS service. My carrier (BlackBerry on T-Mobile) just fails to deliver the messages from VoIPo. If I switch the SMS e-mail address to a regular e-mail address, it's obvious that the messages being generated are too long for SMS. The message is encapsulated as multipart MIME, and the text it's trying to send to my phone looks like this:

--XXXX_boundary_XXXX
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="000XXX000"

--000XXX000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; Format=Flowed
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Created: Thursday, January 07 2010, 06 18 PM
Duration: 00:00:07
Account: 415570####@sip.voipwelcome.com
--000XXX000--

--XXXX_boundary_XXXX--

Now why can't all that be shortened to a simple, plain text message that says the callerid, time, and return number, without any of this content-type and MIME gibberish? If VoIPo must use an email-to-SMS gateway, the "content type" should be text and nothing else.

spolkyc
04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the info! Added the @vtext.com and works great. And yes search also gave me a 0 results for SMS.

lost
04-28-2010, 11:00 AM
Now why can't all that be shortened to a simple, plain text message that says the callerid, time, and return number, without any of this content-type and MIME gibberish? If VoIPo must use an email-to-SMS gateway, the "content type" should be text and nothing else.

I had to setup my mail provider's Sieve rule to forward to SMS after it does some 'squeezing' of the message. The SMS that arrives on phone looks like this:

Subject: Wednesday, April 28, 2010

voicmil from <caller id> <caller's number> 00:00:18
vm: 8328387000

That way, the message is SMS-acceptable (short message service, needless to say) and I get the salient info about the voicemail: caller number, caller id, and message length. I also added VOIPo's VM so I can dial it directly from the SMS to listen to the message.

It would be great if VOIPo can set this up correctly, so users don't have to mess aroud with mail scripts.

VOIPoTim
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I had to setup my mail provider's Sieve rule to forward to SMS after it does some 'squeezing' of the message. The SMS that arrives on phone looks like this:

Subject: Wednesday, April 28, 2010

voicmil from <caller id> <caller's number> 00:00:18
vm: 8328387000

That way, the message is SMS-acceptable (short message service, needless to say) and I get the salient info about the voicemail: caller number, caller id, and message length. I also added VOIPo's VM so I can dial it directly from the SMS to listen to the message.

It would be great if VOIPo can set this up correctly, so users don't have to mess aroud with mail scripts.

I know we used to have a short message for that. Are you saying it's sending the same message as an e-mail notification now? If so, we can fix that.

rcrcr
04-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Lost:

Would you mind posting your sieve rule here for the benefit of others?

Thanks!

rcrcr

lost
04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
1. On VPanel, set the email to "voipo_vm_sms@mydomain.com"

2. Added the Sieve rule below, which rearranged and squeezed the original message before sending it to mine and wife's phone. I then filed it to the trash folder because there's already another email notification with the voice attachment in the inbox.

require ["envelope", "fileinto", "imapflags", "reject", "notify", "vacation", "regex", "relational", "comparator-i;ascii-numeric", "copy"];

if header :contains ["to"] "voipo_vm_sms@mydomain.com" {
notify :method "mailto" :options ["cellphone1@messaging.sprintpcs.com", "Squeeze", "Low", "From", "Orig"] :message "$subject$ / $text[47]$ / $subject$
VM:8328387000";

notify :method "mailto" :options ["cellphone2@messaging.sprintpcs.com", "Squeeze", "Low", "From", "Orig"] :message "$subject$ / $text[47]$ / $subject$
VM:8328387000";

fileinto "INBOX.Trash";
stop;
}

Tim,

The original message from VOIPO is, as noted by another poster, is in MIME multipart and in turn gets munged by the SMS gateway:

Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="XXXX_boundary_XXXX"
To: <voipo_vm_sms@mydomain.com>
Subject: Voicemail from "703xyzxxxx" <703xyzxxxx> 00:00:24
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: FreeSWITCH
X-Voicemail-Length: 24
Message-Id: <20100430165453.D189939945@vm-v01.voipwelcome.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:54:53 +0000 (UTC)

--XXXX_boundary_XXXX
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="000XXX000"

--000XXX000
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; Format=Flowed
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Created: Friday, April 30 2010, 11 54 AM
Duration: 00:00:24
Account: 703abcdefg@sip.voipwelcome.com
--000XXX000--

--XXXX_boundary_XXXX--

Those users who receive the SMS on their phone with just the bolded, underlined part are lucky because that means the email-to-SMS gateway used by their providers understand MIME multipart, but that's not the case with mine (Sprint, and previously T-Mobile).

If there's a way to configure the FreeSWITCH mailer to not compose the message in MIME multipart, that would help.

lost
04-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Just a quick thought, using an external mailer is possible:

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_voicemail#Using_Outside_Programs_to_Send_Voice mail_to_Email

The API feature is pretty rich which, as a developer, got me pretty excited to see the possibilities (but yes, it's like opening a pandora box for a widely deployed service like VOIPo).

Most exciting of them, from the FAQ section:

Do I need a text-to-speech engine installed?

No, it will work with sound files or a text-to-speech engine.

rcrcr
04-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Lost:

Thanks for that sieve rule. Very helpful.

Best,
rcrcr

msp
08-25-2010, 03:00 PM
1. Searching this forum for "sms" indeed yields no results. (????)
2. SMS notification for me worked perfectly with AT&T. Not so since I switched to T-mobile (I received it as an MMS which I couldn't open). After some google searches, it's pretty clear that it's T-mobile's issue. Oh well. Now I just use a mail filter in yahoo mail to send an alert to my phone.

usa2k
08-25-2010, 04:31 PM
1. Searching this forum for "sms" indeed yields no results. (????)
It would be nice if http://forums.voipo.com/search.php allowed as few as 3 letters for search words.
Too many acronyms are 3-letter.

PCM2
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
FWIW I switched to an Android smartphone on the same carrier (T-Mobile) and VoIPo's long SMS messages are being delivered properly now. It seems to be either the BlackBerry hardware or maybe RIM's servers at T-Mobile that can't handle longer texts from VoIPo.