PDA

View Full Version : Want a feedback please!!!

voip123
01-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Hi VOIPoers,

I'd like to ask a question about your phone adapter.

How often does your phone adapter stop working?

Please provide below info:
Phone Adapter: Linksys RT31P2 or Linksys PAP2 or whatever
ISP: DSL or cable or whatever at what speed.
Setup: Behind a router or in front of router
How often not working: Never, once per month or whatever

Below is mine:
Adapter: Linksys RT31P2
ISP: Yahoo DSL Elite (6MB DN and 648KB UP)
Setup: Behind a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router. The adapter is wire-connected to the router.
How often not working: Everyday the adapter disconnected itself, sometime once per day, sometime more than 4 times per day for about 15 or 30 minutes. I don’t do anything; it will back on by itself. But sometime, I have to unplug/plug power.

Thanks!

usa2k
01-08-2010, 11:07 PM
PAP2T behind LINKSYS WRT54GL with Tomato v1.23
Comcast 12/2

Always there, always reliable.

Similarly an RT31P2 has been doing fine behind a ZyXel Modem/Router in FL on Century
(Reseller Beta testing) Not sure the up/down speeds

Always there, always reliable.

caseydoug
01-09-2010, 02:55 AM
I have a PAP2 and haven't noticed any outages. I have it set up behind a DLink router, cable modem, around 16Mb/s down, 8Mb/s up.

TFlap
01-09-2010, 03:23 AM
ISP: Qwest DSL (1.5Mb Down and 512Kb Up)
Setup: Behind a home-grown Endian Firewall router. Adapter is behind the router, on a separate "orange" subnet, with holes punched in the firewall for the recommended port ranges.

I have not noticed any problems with Qwest, although I have only been with them for a week. I had another local provider that was terrible, with pings in the 150ms - 300ms range, and the adapter had problems staying provisioned. I literally could not use the phone at all. It was just completely unreliable.

With Qwest I haven't had any noticeable problems, although I'm not home during the day, so I haven't "monitored" it, but my wife would definitely let me know if there were problems with the phone. :p

MisterEd
01-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi VOIPoers,

I'd like to ask a question about your phone adapter.

How often does your phone adapter stop working?

Thanks!

Unless one sits in front of their adapter 24/7 they couldn't answer that question accurately.

If you're not around when it goes out did it really go out or does it only count if you see it? :D

That being said .... recently NEVER (PAP2/Fios (25/5)/Actiontec router)

dteague
01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
ISP: Comcast (Speed, who knows with Comcast. I just did a speedtest, and it showed 20 Down 3 Up, Those numbers seem high)
Setup: Have tried it both ways, currently behind a Linksys switch running dd-wrt because when the VoIPo TA goes south, it takes my internet for my computers with it. Since my wife works from home alot, can't have the internet down.
How often not working: Every few days I will try calling home and it will go straight to voicemail, or I'll get an email that I just got a voicemail, and the phone doesn't ring, or I'll go to make a call, and no dialtome. I just go and unplug and plug back in, and it works. I have ports forwarded, the TA in the DMZ. Still happens every few days.

abward
01-09-2010, 10:58 AM
voip123, is your adapter set up for static or dynamic lease with your router?

voip123
01-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Yes. I assigned a static IP with all port forwarding that is suggested by VOIPo.

voip123
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Unless one sits in front of their adapter 24/7 they couldn't answer that question accurately.

If you're not around when it goes out did it really go out or does it only count if you see it? :D

That being said .... recently NEVER (PAP2/Fios (25/5)/Actiontec router)

I know it because I sit in front of the adapter, which is next to my router.

I only report when I know it. I don't know how often it doesn't work when I am not around.

It looks like I am the only one has the problem.

voipinit
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM
No problems here, although it sounds like you are having issues. What things have you/support tried? Do you have the same problem when your ATA is in front of the router?

mikeb
01-09-2010, 01:07 PM

ISP: Local ISP (8MB DN and 1MB UP)

Setup: Behind a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. The adapter is wire-connected to the router.

How often not working: You are not going crazy. I also have my router and adapter almost right in front of me at my desk. A couple of times I have noticed that the Phone 1 and 2 lights are off on the adapter. I pick up the phone and there is no dial tone. I wait a couple minutes and the lights are on again and there is a dial tone. I have not noticed this within the past month, but it has happened. I've read on the forum that the adapter will reboot during the day. I'm not sure how many times per day this happens. Maybe this is what is occurring when the lights go off?

MisterEd
01-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I know it because I sit in front of the adapter, which is next to my router.

I only report when I know it. I don't know how often it doesn't work when I am not around.

It looks like I am the only one has the problem. My router and PAP2 are in front of me as well. Since being out of work for the last year I see it about 8hrs a day :( , but there are still 16hrs left I can't report on. :) I have had numerous OTHER issues but not the PAP dying where it needs a reboot. Maybe that's because I give it a "PAP TEST" every few days. <drum roll>

MisterEd
01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
I've read on the forum that the adapter will reboot during the day. I'm not sure how many times per day this happens. Maybe this is what is occurring when the lights go off?

WHen I first switched to Voipo mine was rebooting every 30-60 minutes but a ticket resolved that and now the reboot is rare. An occassional reboot is one thing but it going offline or just not functioning is another.

fisamo
01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm a grandfathered BYOD user with my account set up as a trunk line in Asterisk. I have a script monitor all trunks every 5 minutes, and I rarely get a report on the Voipo trunk being down. Gizmo5, on the other hand, is up and down all the time.

Russell
01-09-2010, 04:45 PM
I know mine reboots now and then - I'm discussing the times when I happen to notice the reboot and not the times when I don't notice it. It happened a little before 9 am Eastern time today. And, every once in a while a call will go to voicemail - when there's no issue with Internet connectivity. To be fair to VOIPo I don't know what causes the reboots.

voip123
01-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I used Voange service 2/3 years ago. They gave me Linksys PAP2 adapter. I don't remember I have similar problems.

I also have an unlocked Linksys PAP2-NA adapter. I am using it with Sipgate + Sip sorcery + Google Voice for a FREE voip service, and have never had any self-disconnected problems. I got couple times no service because the sipsorcery server was down.

I am still working with the Support on the problems and keep you guys update.

ctaranto
01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Router: WRT54GL (DD-WRT v24 preSP2 build 13064)
ATA: RT31P2
ISP: Comcast (12/2)

Cable Modem -> WRT54GL -> RT31P2

Ever since setting things up this way:
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1919

I haven't noticed the phone being down (Phone 1 always lit). My wife uses the phone probably 200-300 mins per day and hasn't complained once since this setup. In previous configs, the ATA would lose reauth randomly. And trust me, she lets me know every single time something bad happens.

I'm going to try to put Tomato back on the WRT54GL in the above configuration to see if it still works, as I prefer it over DD-WRT.

-Craig

dteague
01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Well, I just got a call from my wife. She could not get thru on the VoIP. I went downstairs, checked and line 1 & 2 have no lights. Unplugged the TA, waited 5 seconds, and plugged it back in, and it was working again.

Just frustrating. Never had any issues with Call Vantage (Or Sunrocket before them)

voip123
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, I just got a call from my wife. She could not get thru on the VoIP. I went downstairs, checked and line 1 & 2 have no lights. Unplugged the TA, waited 5 seconds, and plugged it back in, and it was working again.

Just frustrating. Never had any issues with Call Vantage (Or Sunrocket before them)

I started frustrating since day 5 after I signed up for the service. At least once per day the adapter doesn't work for around 15 minutes. Sometimes 2 or 3 times per day. It will back on.

I checked everyone's feed back. None of you is using the WRT54GS. Sounds like the router doesn't like its Linksys cousin - RT31P2.

At the moment, I am writing this post. The Line1 light is out.

ctaranto
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
I started frustrating since day 5 after I signed up for the service. At least once per day the adapter doesn't work for around 15 minutes. Sometimes 2 or 3 times per day. It will back on.

I checked everyone's feed back. None of you is using the WRT54GS. Sounds like the router doesn't like its Linksys cousin - RT31P2.

What firmware are you running on the WRT54GS?

I know it might be a pain, but did you try hooking things as described in my post? I'd be curious if that resolved your issue.

/c

Russell
01-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Have you tried with the router next to your modem? Does that work fine? If yes, then you really can't fault VOIPo.

dteague
01-13-2010, 06:56 AM

I know it might be a pain, but did you try hooking things as described in my post? I'd be curious if that resolved your issue.

I have a WRT54G2 running dd-wrt, and I have had this issue when the TA was on either side of it. For no reason, the lights will go out for Lines 1 & 2, and I have no dialtone. If the TA is plugged into the cable modem, and the WRT54G2 on the other side, if I have no lights on line 1 & 2, I have no internet access on any of my computers. When I put the TA off the WRT54G2, when it dies, it only takes down the phones as nothing is down line of it.

VoIPo has replaced the TA, and it has made no difference. I did notice their was a later firmware for the TA, and asked VoIPo about it, but they did not thing that would resolve the issue. It seems to be something in the TA that is having the problems.

Right now, I have the TA off the WRT54G2, in the DMZ, ports forwarded, on a static IP address (NAT). Like I have said, it will work fine, then all of a sudden, no Line 1/Line 2 lights and no dialtone.

My wife could care less who we use, as long as "There is dialtone when she picks it up, and people can call us." VoIPo is not making my choice to move to them easy on either one of those points.

Russell
01-13-2010, 07:45 AM
I have a WRT54G2 running dd-wrt, and I have had this issue when the TA was on either side of it. For no reason, the lights will go out for Lines 1 & 2, and I have no dialtone. If the TA is plugged into the cable modem, and the WRT54G2 on the other side, if I have no lights on line 1 & 2, I have no internet access on any of my computers. When I put the TA off the WRT54G2, when it dies, it only takes down the phones as nothing is down line of it.

VoIPo has replaced the TA, and it has made no difference. I did notice their was a later firmware for the TA, and asked VoIPo about it, but they did not thing that would resolve the issue. It seems to be something in the TA that is having the problems.

Right now, I have the TA off the WRT54G2, in the DMZ, ports forwarded, on a static IP address (NAT). Like I have said, it will work fine, then all of a sudden, no Line 1/Line 2 lights and no dialtone.

My wife could care less who we use, as long as "There is dialtone when she picks it up, and people can call us." VoIPo is not making my choice to move to them easy on either one of those points.

So how does your service get restored when this happens. Do you power-cycle the ATA?

dteague
01-13-2010, 07:57 AM
So how does your service get restored when this happens. Do you power-cycle the ATA?

Yes, As soon as I power-cycle the RT31P2 and it "boots", I have dialtone and I can make/receive calls.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 08:14 AM
dteague,

If you're willing to experiment, would you be willing to hook things up the way I described in the thread http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1919 ?

I'd like for someone else to try it out to see if my case was just pure luck, or is there something "special" about bypassing the direct LAN to WAN connection from the WRT to RT.

/c

dteague
01-13-2010, 08:40 AM
If you're willing to experiment, would you be willing to hook things up the way I described in the thread http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1919 ?

I'd like for someone else to try it out to see if my case was just pure luck, or is there something "special" about bypassing the direct LAN to WAN connection from the WRT to RT.

I will try it and see if it makes any difference. I used to do networking for a living, and just having a hard time wrapping my head around how this will solve anything as it seems to be adding a hop to all transmissions (abit it an out of the WAN to the LAN port on the RT31P2 and then to the WRT54G2... But stranger things have happened... If it does work, then I start thinking more twords it being a firmware issue on RT31P2.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm guessing (and purely a guess) that coming in the LAN of the RT is different, either NAT, Firewall, or otherwise, than coming in through the WAN. Once in the LAN of the RT, going out the WAN is transparent. I am knowledgeable about networking, but by no means a pro. A side benefit of doing it this way is one can "manage" the RT through a normal IP address since it's on the same subnet.

My RT is running 1.25.00.

/c

voxabox
01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Router: WRT54GS (tomato 1.27)
ATA: Linksys/Sipura SPA1001
ISP: Comcast

Cable Modem -> Router -> ATA (UPS'ed)

I'm a grandfathered BYOD user
My ATA never reboot unless I tell it to;)
Cheers,
-v

dteague
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm guessing (and purely a guess) that coming in the LAN of the RT is different, either NAT, Firewall, or otherwise, than coming in through the WAN. Once in the LAN of the RT, going out the WAN is transparent. I am knowledgeable about networking, but by no means a pro. A side benefit of doing it this way is one can "manage" the RT through a normal IP address since it's on the same subnet.

I'll have to check and see what version my RT is running. I know both of the ones VoIPo sent me are running the same version and when I checked there was a later version of the firmware out there.

I'm able to manage my RT that is plugged into my WAN port today. I just go out to http://192.168.15.2:999 (or is it 4 9's?) and it brings up the login popup and then I'm in.

I'll let you know version and if I get it to work.

Since it is not an everyday thing for me, I may not notice if it doesn't fall off. If it works, even tho it is not "clean", I'd be able to live with it.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I was referring to being able to manage it without using port numbers. See? You can't even remember what the port was!. :)

Latest firmware for the RT is 1.30.07, dated (gasp) 12/20/06. The 1.25.00 firmware is from 2004 (December 1 to be exact). I asked VOIPo if I could upgrade. They said that they ship the routers with the support firmware level.

From work, I SSH (using autossh, and not port 22) into my WRT and set up a tunnel (one could also use the very excellent Tunnelier on Windows). I use proxy forwarding, using FoxyProxy to manage my FireFox connections (internal to work or external), and all external traffic is being tunneled to my home router, which then relays back all internet traffic. This way all external traffic, including DNS requests, is fully encrypted from prying eyes in IT (including IM messages). :) I've use wireshark to verify the traffic, and boy is it encrypted.

This also allows me to directly connect to my home routers/adapters/PC from work. I can monitor the status of the RT (and WRT) from the comfort of my office chair.

/c

dteague
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
From work, I SSH (using autossh, and not port 22) into my WRT and set up a tunnel (one could also use the very excellent Tunnelier on Windows). I use proxy forwarding, using FoxyProxy to manage my FireFox connections (internal to work or external), and all external traffic is being tunneled to my home router, which then relays back all internet traffic. This way all external traffic, including DNS requests, is fully encrypted from prying eyes in IT (including IM messages). :) I've use wireshark to verify the traffic, and boy is it encrypted.

This also allows me to directly connect to my home routers/adapters/PC from work. I can monitor the status of the RT (and WRT) from the comfort of my office chair.

Well, I can't tunnel back to my home computer from the office. Well, I could, but I would have to fire myself. I don't work in IT, but Security of the network falls under my control, and when I see people connecting to their network at home to bypass filters and such, they get marched to HR. There is too many things that people have access on here that we can't have either walking off, or a unsecured internet point coming in.

BUT, I know what you are saying.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
There is too many things that people have access on here that we can't have either walking off, or a unsecured internet point coming in.

BUT, I know what you are saying.

I supposed, but it's no different that someone with a 32GB memory stick dumping everything on that and walking out. Nothing's more effective or stealth than sneaker-net. :)

I don't use it to bypass filtering. I'm tired of reauthing every 30 minutes since I run Linux of my laptop and not on a domain.

Anyways, back to topic. Let me know if you get around to changing the wiring and if it helps.

/c

voip123
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM

/c

Firmware version v7.50.2. I couldn't find any higher version anywhere.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Firmware version v7.50.2. I couldn't find any higher version anywhere.

Oh. The Linksys's firmware. I was curious if you were running dd-wrt or tomato. Have you considered dd-wrt?

I think someone else is going to hook things up the way I described in another thread. When he reports back (and if successful), maybe you can try the same.

/c

dteague
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Firmware Version: 1.20.01, Oct 20 2004

This is the RT31P2 firmware that is on the box.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Firmware Version: 1.20.01, Oct 20 2004

This is the RT31P2 firmware that is on the box.

Interesting. Ask VOIPo to upgrade you to 1.25.00. Maybe that'll help?

/c

dteague
01-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Interesting. Ask VOIPo to upgrade you to 1.25.00. Maybe that'll help?

Will open another TT asking that. I just checked and I asked asked about a firmware back in September because I was having issues with the graphics in the TA not always showing up, and a 404 on one of help pages as well.

ctaranto
01-13-2010, 08:46 PM
Will open another TT asking that. I just checked and I asked asked about a firmware back in September because I was having issues with the graphics in the TA not always showing up, and a 404 on one of help pages as well.

I believe that happens in 1.25.00 as well. There's a graphic of an image going horizontal that doesn't always show up. The QoS help throws a 404.

/c

dteague
01-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I believe that happens in 1.25.00 as well. There's a graphic of an image going horizontal that doesn't always show up. The QoS help throws a 404.

Well, support closed my ticket. Said there was no reason to upgrade. I have not had a chance to play with the nework setup on the device (Work and Kid commitments)... Maybe this weekend.