PDA

View Full Version : Caution about signing up for additional years

tritch
01-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Just a word of caution for those considering signing up for additional years at the current promotional yearly rate of $135 (via the vPanel billing promotions tab).

Since I was having great service from Voipo, I decided to lock in the great price for some time to come, so I signed up for 3 more years at the $135 yearly price. I truly believe Voipo has a good business model and appears to be on the right path to being a top notch VOIP provider, so I felt my decision was sound at the time. The only problem was that in my zeal to lock in the price, I failed to carefully read the TOS concerning the refund of money in the unlikely event of canceling my service.

See Tim’s comments about prepaid refunds in this thread:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23600396-VOIPoCOM-Continued-outbound-calling-issues~start=35

Basically, if you cancel your service before your contract is up, you will be charged the standard monthly rate of $19.95 for all the used months into the contract instead of $11.25. The caveat to this is that if you decide to cancel more than halfway into your contract you will get little to no refund at all. In my case, I signed up for 4 years at $135/year for $540. I’ve had service for about a year already, so if I decided to cancel after my 2nd year, I would only get a $61.20 refund (($540-($19.95*24)) instead of $270. Within a few months afterward, I would get no refund at all.

Personally, I would like to see the TOS modified so as to treat each additional year of prepaid service independently from each other (i.e. a full refund for any unused future years).

I fully admit that I was remiss for not reading the TOS carefully, so I have no one to blame but myself if I need to prematurely cancel my service. I can only hope that Voipo will continue their great service so that this will never happen……..:)

VOIPoTim
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
It actually already is applied to each prepayment independently.

Additional prepayments outside of the current period are "unused" so no prorating would apply to them.

tritch
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Tim, thanks for the clarification. Very glad to hear.......