PDA

View Full Version : Call problems lately for 3 Voipo accounts on both coasts

tyrodome
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I have Voipo in California, and each of my two brothers in New York has his own Voipo
account (a total of three separate premises). Starting a few weeks ago, all three accounts
began, for the first time, to experience the same set of intermittent problems for calls
between Voipo and a variety of landlines (scattered throughout the country):

1. an echo on the line for the landline party (the Voipo user doesn't hear the echo)

2. inability of the landline caller to hear the Voipo user, even though the Voipo user
can hear the landline party

3. the Voipo user hears choppiness in the landline party's voice

4. disconnection when the landline party answers a call from the Voipo line

5. the landline party puts the Voipo line on hold, then the call disconnects when the
landline party attempts to resume the call (for example, when calling call centers)

Some of these problems also occur on Voipo-to-Voipo calls, but less frequently and less severely.

My brothers and I had great Voipo quality prior to the start of the problems. We didn't
change anything: no router swaps, no firmware updates, no ISP changes.

I suspect that Voipo is having a reliability problem with its upstream providers, and I
presumed that whatever it was, they would resolve it. But it's been weeks now.

Maybe the problems has been discussed in the forums or on the Voipo website, but I
haven't seen anything. Please direct me to any relevant information.

Has any of you experienced some of these same problems lately?

bakntime
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Occasionaly I will have a situation where some "strage" thing happens with a call. Sometimes the other party can hear me but I can't hear them or that sort of thing. It's extremely rare, and often times can be attributed to my internet connection dropping out rather than anything Voipo related.

There is also occasional echo on my line for calls that are local to my number. I think this happens becuase echo cancellation usually doesn't take place on local phone calls because they don't expect long delays on local calls. The thing is that voip inherently has a bit of a delay during the processing and internet routing that takes place on a call, so echo cancellation would be needed. The POTS usually only employs the cancellation on long distance calls, thereby creating echo on voip calls that appear to be local calls.

Other than that, I can't really say as I've noticed anything at all wrong with call quality. Aside from very rare circumstances, calls are great.

Have you noticed any ISP related problems? Dropping of packets or other such issues could be connected to call quality. Some of what you're describing sounds like bandwidth or internet connection issues. Downloading files during calls can bog up an internet connection, as well as things like file sharing programs. While none of these things my be the issue, it's something worth mentioning just in case.

VOIPoTim
01-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Have you contacted support about this?

If not, that should be your first step. Right now we have no noticeable patterns of reported issues and things are running very smoothly.

Contacting support should always be your first step when you have issues or otherwise we won't know about them.

ctaranto
01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Which VOIPo server are you connected to? I'm on the east coast, and was initially set up on the Central server. Pings to central were considerably longer than the East server, and VOIPo support changed it for me.

-Craig

ptrowski
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Good observation as lately I have noticed an echo when I call the house. There has been 1-2 incidents of me hearing choppy audio when someone calls the house also. Maybe it is time to put in a ticket and see what is going on.

tylerscell1
01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
I was experiencing echos but i contacted voipo and they adjusted the gain volume...

abward
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
When support lowered my gain volume, it helped a lot to reduce and almost eliminate hearing DTMF tones during conversations. PAP2T.

ctaranto
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
When support lowered my gain volume, it helped a lot to reduce and almost eliminate hearing DTMF tones during conversations. PAP2T.

Is this different than the settings one can do in the VOIPo vPanel? Features/Preferences/Advanced. ATA Preferences, Volume Level and Volume Amplification.

I hear a DTMF tone once a while on the phone, but I also heard them while using VoicePulse and figured it was "normal" for VoIP calls.

-Craig

jjocsak
01-19-2010, 02:47 PM
When they reduced mine I saw the changes in the vpanel as well.
So I think they are the same.

Jeff

TFlap
01-20-2010, 05:44 PM
When they reduced mine I saw the changes in the vpanel as well.
So I think they are the same.

Jeff
Just out of curiosity, what did they change it to? In-other-words, what ended up making a difference for you?

jjocsak
01-20-2010, 07:10 PM
They changed it to:

http://jjocsak.smugmug.com/Other/Misc/ata/769551161_PEaCg-M.jpg

I changed both to low and didn't hear any difference.

Jeff

TFlap
01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Jeff. Thanks for posting that.