PDA

View Full Version : Multiple SIP devices

uhf
01-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Can I connect multiple SIP devices simultaneously to a single account? Like a SIP based cordless phone, and an ATA for the legacy phones in the house? Or a second ATA so I can make calls from my office at work?

tritch
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
You would need to ask Tech Support.

Since you do not have access to your SIP credentials, your provisioned ATA is the only device that would be allowed to connect to the main proxy servers (i.e. Central and East). If you enable the Softphone/BYOD access in vPanel, you would then be able to connect other devices to the BYOD server using the SIP credentials provided there. Whether or not you can connect more than 1 device to the BYOD server at the same time is a question for Tech Support. I seem to remember another thread some time ago that if their system detected too many connected devices that it might pick this up as fraudulent activity and won't allow it.

bakntime
01-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Or a second ATA so I can make calls from my office at work?This you definitely couldn't do, becuase that's basically like having two accounts but only paying for one.

As for having two connected to the same household (same IP address), that might be possible, but with the dual jack PAP2 I'm not sure how/why you'd need this. Even without a dual jack, you could just drop a phone line splitter on there to connect multiple phones, or simply get a cordless phone with multiple handsets.

I guess my question is simply why would you want/need an expensive SIP phone when the ATA will easily accomodate multiple (cheaper) standard and/or cordless phones.

I'm not accusing you of anything, but it sounds like you simply want to have two accounts for the price of one. However, there could very well be something I'm overlooking (and knowing me, it's a distinct possibility).

fisamo
01-21-2010, 06:33 AM
IMO, the purpose of the softphone feature is to allow someone to keep their ATA registered 'at home' while simultaneously (but occasionally) registering another device (or softphone) at the same time, for example, while traveling.

That said, you'd probably be OK from a Voipo standpoint if you kept an ATA registered at work (for personal use--not business use). Of course, there's the issue of using your employer's resources (bandwidth, electricity would be minimal but real), violations of employer's network usage policies, etc, that you'd have to watch out for. Obviously, if your usage patterns involve numerous simultaneous calls and it looks like you're abusing the privilege of having a 2nd device registered, your account will be flagged.

uhf
01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
IMO, the purpose of the softphone feature is to allow someone to keep their ATA registered 'at home' while simultaneously (but occasionally) registering another device (or softphone) at the same time, for example, while traveling.

It would be 100% personal use. Most likely less than 10 minutes per month of use. My cellphone doesn't work reliably inside my building. As for use of company resources, my boss is cool with using the network and electricity, but not the company phone line since the calls would be long distance.

Just something I was thinking about trying, but if I do, I'll definitely check with support first. Didn't want to open a ticket if someone knew for sure it wasn't allowed.

fisamo
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
No harm in asking support. If you're looking at less than 10 mins/mo, that seems consistent with the intent of the softphone option. If you do submit a ticket, please update this thread with the response.

Sounds like you don't work for a large company. I was being a bit facetious about the electricity, but bandwidth consumption and (more importantly) network security/unauthorized devices can get one into hot water with employers. For example, many companies prohibit audio streaming (internet radio) by employees. While 10 mins of phone conversation per month would amount to far less bandwidth than 8 hours of streaming, some companies' network policies are not so forgiving.

uhf
01-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Tried two devices, doesn't work.

usa2k
01-25-2010, 07:25 PM
VOIPo and another? Worked in the past for me.
If its two BYOD setups, did you try them one at a time first.

The support forum for using BYOD is technically here:
http://forums.voipo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

uhf
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Been using a BYOD at home just fine, plugged in the Voipo supplied device at another location, saw them both registered to Voipo Central in the devices tab, and called my virtual number. The Voipo device rang, I was able to answer, and call out. The one at home did not ring, according to the CallerID logs at home, and my kids were home and said the phone never rang.

I don't actually care about ringing in, I just want to dial out from work and have it appear to be coming from home. I need to be able to send the same ANI as I do from home when calling a particular 800 number.