PDA

View Full Version : Hearing "tones" during some calls

MisterEd
01-20-2010, 02:36 PM
I thought it was me bumping my keypad or even the person on the other end doing the same but today and in the past I have experienced what sounded like "touchtones" being generated during a conversation. I always blamed the other party (It seems to mosly happen on calls to my sister so I had no problem blaming her). Today I was talking with her and it happened again. This time we both put our phones on speaker and it happened yet again. Sometimes both parties hear it sometimes only one side. She is on Verizon POTS and I'm (obviously) on Voipo. It's really no big deal at all but I'm starting to get paranoid.

I looked outside but didn't see any black ops helicopters or guys up on the poles talking into their sleeves.

Anyone else ever experience this?

ctaranto
01-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Certain peoples voices trigger the DTMF sound. VoIP works differently than POTS, and frequencies are picked up by the VoIP adapter and converted into a DTMF sound.

I get that once in a while with my wife (but only when her voice gets raised, like she's yelling at the kids). :)

I think adjusting the volume on the vPanel can help. There's another thread on here recently that talked about this.

-Craig

abward
01-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Mine mostly went away after support changed DTMF to Inband, and "lowered the gain on my line". Open and ticket and asked them to do both.

I still get it sometimes, a bit, on poor connections and/or particularly whinny-voiced females (not that there are many of those out there of course).

BTW: Features->Advanced has Very Low for both directions. I never changed these, and I am not sure if they changed when support lowered my gain.

MisterEd
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Certain peoples voices trigger the DTMF sound. VoIP works differently than POTS, and frequencies are picked up by the VoIP adapter and converted into a DTMF sound.

I get that once in a while with my wife (but only when her voice gets raised, like she's yelling at the kids). :)

I think adjusting the volume on the vPanel can help. There's another thread on here recently that talked about this.

-Craig

Interesting .... I thought the tones were only generated by the phone devices. So you're saying the ATA (PAP2T in my case) is also generating DTMF tones? Damn .... at least I'm not going nuts. :D

MisterEd
01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Mine mostly went away after support changed DTMF to Inband, and "lowered the gain on my line". Open and ticket and asked them to do both.

I still get it sometimes, a bit, on poor connections and/or particularly whinny-voiced females (not that there are many of those out there of course).

BTW: Features->Advanced has Very Low for both directions. I never changed these, and I am not sure if they changed when support lowered my gain.

That's it! My sister ... definately a whinny-voiced female! 99.9% of the time it's on calls to her when this happens. Each time she gets married she gets more whinny.

Would changing DTMF to Inband have any other negative side effects?

usa2k
01-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Would changing DTMF to Inband have any other negative side effects? Inband means the tones ride along with voice, and can be more subject to lost UDP packets. I would think its more forgiving than FAX transmissions.

If you have problems navigating interactive switchboards, you may need it switched back. That is my understanding - but I only know from what I've read on VoIP Forums ....

Out of band detects, and generates/synthesizes tones.