PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Options

VOIPoTim
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
We're weighing a few new options with hardware to try to get the costs down for resellers.

In the past we had good success with Grandstream HT-286 devices, but moved to a 2 line model GrandstreamHT-502 and had horrible experiences.

The 286 was always solid though, but since we needed a 2 line model for our offering, we couldn't use them.

We are considering offering the 286s as a provisioned option for resellers to purchase from us in addition to the PAP2s.

We could likely get the cost for you below $30 with them which could easily be recovered with a $29.95 setup fee which is the standard amount charged for many providers such as ViaTalk, Packet8, etc.

http://www.voipsupply.com/grandstream-gs-286

Is this something you guys would be interested in?

tylerscell1
01-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Im so used to the PAP2t's now i probly would not switch. Thats just me though...

usa2k
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
I welcome the Grandstream HT286. I had great experience with the GS HT286 and would welcome managed support of that device! I see no downside as a single line product. $30 with shipping direct to the user would be great.

I do encourage VOIPo to ensure clear product selections versus "an adapter" of some kind that could vary. I hope you also get the buying clout to offer something like the RT31P2. A router capable ATA can simplify things even if the cost is a bit more.

I wonder as you have switched primarily to the PAP2T if you get more support questions from people who do not understand the need of a router? In 2003 Vonage offered the Netgear RP614 four port router (http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/RP614.aspx) as an accessory to their provided Cisco ATA 186. That was a wise option IMHO. It was worth the extra $40.00 to those who lacked a router. It was simple and did the job, and was my first experience using a router.

MacGyverLabs
01-23-2010, 01:03 AM

From my perspective, it's worth an extra $10 to me to have both an extra port, and to "standardize" on a proven, common, stable device (meaning, from a support standpoint, I only need to know the details and idiosyncrasies of a single device). So, sans introduction of another device more solid as the PAP2T, I will probably stick with the PAP2T.

That said, I welcome choice and encourage you guys to reach outside the box and offer options... so long as support for the tried-and-true does not suffer (based on what I've seen of VoIPo thus far, definitely not a concern), and I will be able to specify the exact adapter model I want when ordering for a customer. Like USA2K said... "ensure clear product selections versus 'an adapter' of some kind that could vary".

You never know... when that next VoIP/router combo comes out and starts working like a champ, I may just have to move my allegiance! ;)

voipinit
01-23-2010, 05:27 AM
I think you would find the HT-502's are now exceptionally stable and the issues with them were fixed several firmware updates ago. It has been stable for me and I find it a better device than the PAP2T.

zevin
01-23-2010, 02:46 PM
The 502's are a touchy subject for us. Let not relive that.

However, the 286 is still being used on one of my accounts. I feel I could structure something, perhaps a lite package with only the 286 (one line only), and a delux package with the PAP2 (two lines with more options).

So, yes.

/runs to closet to dig out old 286 purchased during inventory clearance sale

usa2k
01-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I have a couple HT286 when provisioning needs some testing.

usa2k
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Even now, with two types of approved ATAs, doesn't it make sense that when a MAC ID is recorded to the system, that the Device Type also be recorded? It might make managed provisioning simpler.

usa2k
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
It looks like the SPA2102 may be worth adding to the hardware line-up.
$63.95 Retail on http://www.thetelecomspot.com/linksys-spa2102-phone-adapter-with-router-p-27840.html

SPA2102

SPA = Sipura Phone Adapter?
2 = LAN Ports
1 = WAN Port
2 = Phone Ports

Not sure with VOIPo buying power, how low you could get it?
There should be something like the RT31P2 even if it costs a bit more.

Comparatively, the PAP2T lists for $49.95

I am getting the feeling that Cisco does not make the RP31P2 anymore.

PS

SPA3102 is also a good candidate for $68.50 Retail
http://www.thetelecomspot.com/linksys-spa3102-phone-adapter-with-router-p-27841.html
It can leverage existing PSTN if needed too.

usa2k
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
I see new stuff at https://cp.voipwelcome.com/hardware :)
False alarm. Just redundant menu links.

voipinit
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
I am getting the feeling that Cisco does not make the RP31P2 anymore.

That would be accurate.

usa2k
02-04-2010, 07:12 AM
We're weighing a few new options with hardware to try to get the costs down for resellers.

In the past we had good success with Grandstream HT-286 devices, but moved to a 2 line model GrandstreamHT-502 and had horrible experiences.

The 286 was always solid though, but since we needed a 2 line model for our offering, we couldn't use them.

We are considering offering the 286s as a provisioned option for resellers to purchase from us in addition to the PAP2s.

We could likely get the cost for you below $30 with them which could easily be recovered with a $29.95 setup fee which is the standard amount charged for many providers such as ViaTalk, Packet8, etc.

http://www.voipsupply.com/grandstream-gs-286

What of the Grandstream Handy Tone 486?
I bet the config files would be identical to the HT286

HT486 would handle users lacking a router. Pass-through might keep customers with routers happy too. I would be happy to beta test.
The mass market I suspect has little inclination to have more than a single phone line in their home.

Built-in router, NAT, Gateway and DMZ port forwarding.
Can also be configured to function as a two Ethernet ports bridge (NAT function is disabled)http://www.grandstream.com/user_manuals/HandyTone-486UserManual.pdf

TechSpot lists HT486 (http://www.thetelecomspot.com/grandstream-handytone-486-analog-telephone-adapter-p-53666.html) for $37.95 Retail (HT286 lists at $32.45)

These two GS adapters would compliment each other very well. :)

uhf
02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd love an ATA that can go in front of my router and do QOS for the Voip traffic, especially one that can operate in Bridged mode.

Bring on the HT486! I'll be more than happy to try one out.

VOIPoTim
02-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I really don't think we'd try any new Grandstream products due to our past experiences and Grandstream's inability to make the HT-502 a reliable device even though we worked with them for months. Using their HT-502 model caused us to lose over $150K directly.

The HT-286 is one we tried and it had good luck with and have thought about offering it for resellers to offer. It's a very simple device and has been around for many years so there's not a lot that can go wrong with it.

usa2k
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
I really don't think we'd try any new Grandstream products due to our past experiences ...
Its only a risk to the Reseller ... :)

voipinit
02-04-2010, 02:32 PM
GRANDSTREAM NETWORKS
Firmware Release Notes
Firmware Version 1.1.0.42
Product Name: HT-486 / HT-286
Date: November 5, 2009
SUMMARY OF UPDATES
The main purpose of this release is addressing stability issues observed in previous releases.

usa2k
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
The main purpose of this release is addressing stability issues observed in previous releases.
Have you used this device before?

The HT286 works flawlessly, and I am betting the 486 has the same code base.
Still, the added router code would be the $64,000 question.

I think to ignore the 486, might overlook great opportunities with Mom and Pop Residential opportunities.

voipinit
02-04-2010, 06:09 PM
usa2k,
No, I'm not saying the HT-286/486 is not good device, it is. After all, I use the HT-502 which works flawlessly as well (yes, I was around when VOIPo was battling them) but GS finally fixed them. I've used the HT-502 in front of and (currently) behind my router without an issue. The PAP2T is a good device as well, but Atlanta having the largest local calling area in the nation (3 area codes and about to go to 4) the last area code with the most available numbers is servicing a huge geographic area, causing some calls to go thru several switching stations before it 'finds' you, which would consistently overflow the PAP2T and force a reboot of the device. Every time my virtual number was called, you could see the PAP2T reboot and if I was on the phone when that occurred, the call was abruptly broken. The HT-502 having route capabilities doesn't suffer the same drawbacks as I suspect most ATA's with route abilities are immune to this issue as well.