PDA

View Full Version : Fax Questions

frankd1
01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I did try to find answers to these questions on the Voipo inbound and outbound fax services (with no luck). Sorry if the answers are already posted, and I overlooked them.

I don't currently have the Voipo inbound fax service. I tested the free outbound service, and I noticed the header on the receiving end listed a toll-free station ID, next to my name. If I would subscribe to the Voipo inbound fax service, would the outbound station ID match my inbound fax #, or is there any way to manually configure/specify it so they match?
How does the inbound service handle faxes that are not letter-sized (like a legal sized fax)? Will it give me a legal-sized PDF, will it scale it to letter size, or will it disproportiantedly resize (squish) to letter size?
The following are feature suggestions. If there are already means to accomplish the goals (that I didn't notice), I'd appreciate being pointed to the appropriate section:

I see the outgoing fax history section. For me personally, it would be helpful if there was an option to archive and retrieve the file that was faxed, preferably by clicking on the file name in the fax history. For instance, if I'm away from my PC and I need to discuss an outbound fax I sent, I'm at a loss until I get back to my PC, or if I'm able to remote access my PC. With the current online faxing service I use, since everything is done via email, I can view both inbound and outbound faxes anywhere I'm able to access my email acct.
For outbound faxes, it would also be nice to have an option to be notified via email about delivery confirmations, or failures (receiving machine busy, no fax machine answering (wrong #), failure from noisy line conditions, etc). I know I can manually revisit vPanel to check the status, but it seems like it would be an easy feature to add, since so many other Voipo features include email notification of some kind. Additionally, if the file that I faxed was attached to the confirmation/failure email, it would kill both birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or pointing in the right direction!

frankd1
01-30-2010, 11:51 PM
I did try to find answers to these questions on the Voipo inbound and outbound fax services (with no luck). Sorry if the answers are already posted, and I overlooked them.

I don't currently have the Voipo inbound fax service. I tested the free outbound service, and I noticed the header on the receiving end listed a toll-free station ID, next to my name. If I would subscribe to the Voipo inbound fax service, would the outbound station ID match my inbound fax #, or is there any way to manually configure/specify it so they match?
How does the inbound service handle faxes that are not letter-sized (like a legal sized fax)? Will it give me a legal-sized PDF, will it scale it to letter size, or will it disproportiantedly resize (squish) to letter size?
The following are feature suggestions. If there are already means to accomplish the goals (that I didn't notice), I'd appreciate being pointed to the appropriate section:

I see the outgoing fax history section. For me personally, it would be helpful if there was an option to archive and retrieve the file that was faxed, preferably by clicking on the file name in the fax history. For instance, if I'm away from my PC and I need to discuss an outbound fax I sent, I'm at a loss until I get back to my PC, or if I'm able to remote access my PC. With the current online faxing service I use, since everything is done via email, I can view both inbound and outbound faxes anywhere I'm able to access my email acct.
For outbound faxes, it would also be nice to have an option to be notified via email about delivery confirmations, or failures (receiving machine busy, no fax machine answering (wrong #), failure from noisy line conditions, etc). I know I can manually revisit vPanel to check the status, but it seems like it would be an easy feature to add, since so many other Voipo features include email notification of some kind. Additionally, if the file that I faxed was attached to the confirmation/failure email, it would kill both birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or pointing in the right direction!

OK... since no one was able to answer, I took the plunge in signing up for an inbound fax #, and I'll post my findings for others that might have the same questions.

Once you subscribe to the inbound fax, your inbound # DOES show in the header of outbound faxes. If you subscribe to multiple inbound fax #s, there's a drop-down box to select which # you want to be sent as header for each outbound fax.
Fax proportions seem to stay intact outbound. I sent a legal sized fax from Voipo, and I received a legal sized fax. A legal sized fax to my Voipo # gave me a "squished" page- resized to fit letter.
Unless/until the Voipo wizzes have time to link the outgoing history with the actual document that was faxed (or email outgoing confirmations including the fax as an attachment), I came up with a kluge that will work for me- I can send a fax to my inbound Voipo # from Voipo outbound, so after I send a fax to someone, I'll immediately fax myself the same file. This emails me the outgoing archive copy I'm looking for in my email box.
Voipo fax is obviously very barebones, but you can't beat the price (especially if you pay annually), and as long as it's reliable, that's all I need. If my fax use goes back up to heavier levels, it'll probably make sense to go back to one of the fax-only providers, and get all their bells and whistles. But at the couple pages a month level I've been at for the last year or so, Voipo fax can't be beat!

frankd1
01-30-2010, 11:59 PM
One additional, minor complaint- the header timestamp on outbound faxes is set to MST (I'm in California). It would be nice to have the system check the user's timezone setting and send the corresponding time/timezone.

eagle 1
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
it would be nice if the outbound fax had a different signon that didn't give full access to vpanel...if it did it would be more convenient to allow my son or wife to use it too...but wife gets too confused by all the options and choices..lol

how much is the incoming fax service now? i don;t see the price anywhere any more.

VOIPoTim
02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
how much is the incoming fax service now? i don;t see the price anywhere any more.

We're now only offering it with another service and not as a standalone. It can be ordered from within vPanel for $4.95/Mo or $36/Yr.

eagle 1
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
We're now only offering it with another service and not as a standalone. It can be ordered from within vPanel for $4.95/Mo or $36/Yr.

Great thanks, any plans to allow separate signon (without) full vpanel access for outbound fax?

I may order the fax express..I have often thought about adding it, but don't get to many faxes anymore...but is a nice option if needed