PDA

View Full Version : How about some hyphens?

digger16309
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
In the call history, the caller IDs are listed as a 9-number string with no hyphens.

Example: 2125551212

When I click on a number, I get the dialog box with the number, reference ID and dropdown box to take an action.

If I highlight the number within the dialog box and right-click it I can search Google for the number from Firefox. But it doesn't work so well because phone number searches in Google really only work with hyphens: 212-555-1212.

Any chance of hyphens getting loaded into that dialog box?

Or is there a setting I can change to add them?

Thanks,

Digger

usa2k
02-06-2010, 08:50 PM
That would be so great.

Been without hyphens a long time.
I would also like to use letters as alternative too (when they work).
800-GO-FEDEX the combination does wonders! :)

uhf
02-06-2010, 08:53 PM
That would be so great.

+1
I've thought the same thing.

TimW
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Then Google and/or Firefox have got the formatting wrong as well. The official format for US phone numbers is (nnn) 555-1212, and if we're going to have formatted numbers, could we please have the correct format (sorry, pet peeve).

Using Chrome (the browser shouldn't matter as much as the search engine), I Googled several phone numbers, and all of them came back with the same results regardless of the phone number format that I used. Google even corrected the format when I used a 10-digit (not 9-number) string.

abward
02-07-2010, 03:09 PM
-1. I use periods, like most of the rest of world. Please do NOT put in hyphens, or at least make the format selectable/optional.

digger16309
02-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Then Google and/or Firefox have got the formatting wrong as well. The official format for US phone numbers is (nnn) 555-1212, and if we're going to have formatted numbers, could we please have the correct format (sorry, pet peeve).

Agreed, either way will work. It's just a pain at the moment to do the search, then manually go into the Google search box and add hyphens, or (nnn) as the case may be.

digger16309
02-07-2010, 03:30 PM
-1. I use periods, like most of the rest of world. Please do NOT put in hyphens, or at least make the format selectable/optional.

Periods do not work as well in Google for some numbers.

MisterEd
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Do you also swap the month and year like most of the rest of the world (7/2/10 instead of 2/7/10) or use only the metric system? :)

I'd settle for "like the USA does it" since that's where we live. :)

usa2k
02-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I'd settle for "like the USA does it" since that's where we live. :)The USA way for US Residential seems fair to me.
I beats the way nobody expects.
A style choice where the Time Zone and other preferences are, even better!

zevin
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't know why this wasn't done from the start. I go cross eyed looking at all the numbers.

Hyphens, no periods please - my vote! :rolleyes:

lost_
02-08-2010, 06:59 PM
The official format for US phone numbers is (nnn) 555-1212

I actually couldn't find any documentation that says the "(NPA)NXX-NUMB" is the official US formatting (with regards to delimiters). NANPA documents, etc.. does anyone know? I thought it's just one of the acceptable formats, but the official North American numbering is just NPA-NXX-1234 without specifying the 'official' way to format it. I might be mistaken.

I use periods, like most of the rest of world.

Hmmm.. says who? I know many countries who don't use periods. The international number format is "+(country code) (number)"

With that, I vote for hypens/dashes NPA-NXX-1234. It's more space efficient than (NPA)NXX-1234 :)

caseydoug
02-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Why not do it the way Excel or other spreadsheets do it: the database holds an unformatted number, but we are given several formatting options for the way the number displays.

My understanding is that they are redesigning VPanel. Chances are they won't put much effort into changing a system that won't be used for much longer.

usa2k
02-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Why not do it the way Excel or other spreadsheets do it: the database holds an unformatted number, but we are given several formatting options for the way the number displays.

My understanding is that they are redesigning VPanel. Chances are they won't put much effort into changing a system that won't be used for much longer.

EXACTLY

This is the best answer. Especially if, like Excel, data input can be accepted in the formats possible for data output (And display as the format preferred, once entered.)