PDA

View Full Version : Porting from Broadvoice

Ramblin66
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
What's your experience been porting numbers out from Broadvoice and in to VOIPo?

I have 2 numbers that I would like to move to VOIPo, but I keep reading horror stories about porting out from Broadvoice.

Thanks.

EDIT:
According to http://tnid.org/ one of my numbers is "owned" (listed on tnid as "Current Telephone Company") by Global Crossing Local Services, Inc. and the other is Level 3 Communications LLC. The L3 number was ported in to Broadvoice from Verizon several years ago (4 years?) and the Global Crossing number was originally provisioned through Broadvoice about 5 years ago.

TomP
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
I ported from Broadvoice around this time last year. No problems. VOIPo support was great and the port took about 3 weeks. I don't know which entity "owned" my number at the time, but VOIPo support was able to give me an idea of whether there might be any difficulty just by providing them the area code & exchange.

Note that if you're planning to cancel your Broadvoice account, and if you've had it less than a year, you will need to return their equipment within some time period to avoid getting charged for it (I forget the details - check their website). I had been with them for 4 years and, despite several inquiries from me, they never requested the ATA be returned. Also, probably goes without saying, but don't cancel your Broadvoice account until the port is complete and you've tested the number with VOIPo.

VOIPoTim
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
What's your experience been porting numbers out from Broadvoice and in to VOIPo?

I have 2 numbers that I would like to move to VOIPo, but I keep reading horror stories about porting out from Broadvoice.

Thanks.

EDIT:
According to http://tnid.org/ one of my numbers is "owned" (listed on tnid as "Current Telephone Company") by Global Crossing Local Services, Inc. and the other is Level 3 Communications LLC. The L3 number was ported in to Broadvoice from Verizon several years ago (4 years?) and the Global Crossing number was originally provisioned through Broadvoice about 5 years ago.

Global Crossing and Level3 ports will be fine and you should not expect any problems. The problem numbers on Broadvoice were owned by GlobalNAPs.

TomP
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Global Crossing and Level3 ports will be fine and you should not expect any problems. The problem numbers on Broadvoice were owned by GlobalNAPs.

I took a quick look at http://tnid.org/ and it appears my Broadvoice number was owned by GlobalNAPs at the time. Yet, the port still went through okay, so maybe it's only a problem with them for certain numbers. Either that or VOIPo really went to bat for me! :cool:

Ramblin66
02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks Guys.....

Ramblin66
03-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Quick update...

After resolving a small technical problem last week (short version, had to disable my DSL modem from logging in and allow the VOIPo hardware to handle the log in to my ISP, VOIPo support was EXCELLENT.. Fixed me up with one call, 5 minutes, no transfers... Way big YEA.! for VOIPo support so far), service has been stable and call quality very good... so... I took the plunge and submitted port requests for two numbers..

Within 36 hours I had confirmations from VOIPo that both losing carriers (2 numbers with different carriers) have provided a firm port date.... Looks like all the paperwork is done and I'm just waiting for the commitment dates... Smooth so far, I've got my fingers crossed..

Port dates are about 12 days out (seems like a long time, but, if it ports smoothly, I don't really care), so, I'll post a follow up once they're complete..

:cool:

Ramblin66
03-24-2010, 09:17 PM
OK.. The ports are finished.. :cool:

My two numbers ported from different "losing carriers" on two different days, two days apart...

Only one minor hiccup...
On the day of port #1, the number didn't port... I contacted VOIPo support with a "What's up" email the next day and they jumped on it right away... But.. They deleted both of my VOIPo temp numbers and set up both ported numbers on my device.... But port #2 had not happened yet..

So.. I lost access to inbound calls from that number for one day.. (I routed the calls to my cell phone, so, it was no big deal... )

Other than a minor hiccup, the port went very smoothly...

And I continue to be impressed with VOIPo support... The response to emails is VERY timely, if I call in I don't have to wait more than a minute or two. On one occasion I had to call in and ask for someone specific, because we were in the middle of something and I didn't want to bring a new person into the mix... The guy I needed was busy, but he called me back about 5 minutes later.. !!

So... Looks like things are fully ported with very little fuss, and additional cudos for VOIPo's support folks... I'll look forward to a long and hopefully very happy relationship.

Cheers.