PDA

View Full Version : Question(s): Server setting?

dbmaven
02-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Once upon a time - not that long ago - there was a setting somewhere in vPanel (Preferences?) that allowed you to change from whatever your default Voipo server was to another via a drop-down box.

This, apparently, is gone.

After some initial issues a long time ago, I was assigned to Voipo East (east01.voipwelcome.com).
Now I notice - when looking at 'Devices' that I'm assigned to Voipo Central.

I often use a softphone - which is still set to 'EAST' - and that explains why I haven't been getting incoming calls simultaneously on the softphone.

Q1: Since I'm in New York - why would I have been changed from EAST to CENTRAL? Or is CENTRAL now the default? Is EAST defunct?

Q2: What's the full path to CENTRAL (central01.voipwelcome.com ?) so I can return to getting simultaneous inbound ringing on my softphone?

Thanks!

dbmaven
02-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Shows how long I've been out of the loop.

Found this thread:
http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1673

That answers Q2.

Still interested in Q1.

usa2k
02-13-2010, 11:12 AM
That looks like the right thread.

This post in particular. (http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=13981&postcount=2) I personally do not worry too much about which server gets used. It is easiest to keep the softphone on sip.voipwelcome.com and let the system take care of things. Or does that not work?

tritch
02-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Q1: Since I'm in New York - why would I have been changed from EAST to CENTRAL? Or is CENTRAL now the default? Is EAST defunct?

Q2: What's the full path to CENTRAL (central01.voipwelcome.com ?) so I can return to getting simultaneous inbound ringing on my softphone?

Thanks!

Q1: You should be on East unless support had a good reason to change you. First, I would do a couple of pings to the East and Central nodes to see which one has the least latency. If East looks better, open a ticket and have them move you back.

Q2: See this link for the hostnames: http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1677

Unless you are a grandfathered BYOD and have obtained your SIP credentials, you can't use East or Central servers for your softphone. You will have to use the BYOD server by enabling that option in vPanel and using the SIP credentials generated there.

chpalmer
02-13-2010, 12:30 PM
https://secure.voipo.com/preferences/softphone

VOIPoTim
02-13-2010, 01:17 PM

With the way our system is setup, users are re-routed around issues.

In this case, many users were re-routed away from East on Friday due to network latency detected there so that they wouldn't notice any issues. The system will route users away from issues like that so it's "fixed" before noticing. When there is a network-related re-route we often leave it for 24-48 hours in case any more network blips hit.

For the softphone, it's best to use sip.voipwelcome.com like usa2k said. It's designed a little differently since commonly used for secondary devices so that it works in conjunction with the main device/server. If registered to sip. on it and any other server, calls will be received at both and the first to answer will get them.

Russell
02-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Tim,

My wife may need to use the softphone in the middle of next week - I just installed X-lite 3.0 and used the credentials from the Softphone / BYOD tab for my VOIPo number. I made an outgoing call to a cell - success. I had the cell call my VOIPo number. The softphone rang; the home ATA did not. Do I take it whichever device registers last takes over the registration? I know this used to be the ViaTalk model, when I had their service. The previous times I've used the softphone have been when I've not had the softphone register to receive incoming calls and used it for outgoing only. Or, when the entire family was on vacation and the home ATA turned off; this time I had it register to receive incoming calls when the home ATA was still on and was hoping both devices (home ATA and softphone) would ring.

Thanks.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
If you use the sip.voipwelcome.com information from vPanel, both should ring and the first to answer will get the call.

Were you testing both from behind the same router? If so, that is likely why it just "chose one" since the router may not distinguish between the two. We've seen that happen before where the devices behind a network get mixed up.

Russell
02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
If you use the sip.voipwelcome.com information from vPanel, both should ring and the first to answer will get the call.

Were you testing both from behind the same router? If so, that is likely why it just "chose one" since the router may not distinguish between the two. We've seen that happen before where the devices behind a network get mixed up.
Thanks for the prompt response, Tim. You're exactly right. I was at home configuring the laptop. So both were behind the same router. And, yes, I used the info from vPanel.

Out of curiosity, when the laptop is away, can one call the other by dialing the number?

MisterEd
02-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Once upon a time - not that long ago - there was a setting somewhere in vPanel (Preferences?) that allowed you to change from whatever your default Voipo server was to another via a drop-down box.

This, apparently, is gone.

After some initial issues a long time ago, I was assigned to Voipo East (east01.voipwelcome.com).
Now I notice - when looking at 'Devices' that I'm assigned to Voipo Central.

I often use a softphone - which is still set to 'EAST' - and that explains why I haven't been getting incoming calls simultaneously on the softphone.

Thanks!

The way it was explained to me when I asked support the same question was that "VOIPO CENTRAL" wasn't "the central US" server but "Voipo central" (if you get my drift) and that I was still connected to Voipo East. Sounded kind of strange but what the heck. Since then my vPanel now shows Voipo East so the explanation may have been a bit of a snow job. :)

dbmaven
02-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Tim -

Thanks. I've had my SIP credentials for so long (before the option existed in vPanel) and haven't had any problems - thus no reason to change.

I'm guessing that you'd suggest that I enable it in vPanel via that option, and use the password provided on any softphones I have setup, as well as change the server to 'sip.voipwelcome.com' ?

If that's preferable from a support/consistency standpoint - I've got no problem doing that.

Thanks again.

VOIPoTim
02-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Tim -

Thanks. I've had my SIP credentials for so long (before the option existed in vPanel) and haven't had any problems - thus no reason to change.

I'm guessing that you'd suggest that I enable it in vPanel via that option, and use the password provided on any softphones I have setup, as well as change the server to 'sip.voipwelcome.com' ?

If that's preferable from a support/consistency standpoint - I've got no problem doing that.

Thanks again.

Yes, the sip.voipwelcome.com server is configured differently and will allow simultaneous registrations on the same account with the other servers so you won't miss any incoming calls.

dbmaven
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Well - I tried using the vPanel BYOD/Softphone with 'sip.voipwelcome.com' - but I'm seeing the condition where incoming calls will not ring to the softphone - yes, the computer(s) with the softphone are behind the same router as the PAP2T.

I don't have this problem when using the 'grandfathered SIP credentials' and setting the server in the softphone to the same one as I see on 'devices' - e.g. right now setting it to CENTRAL01.

I need the softphone to ring - and since I don't want to waste anyone's time on this - since it's worked fine 95% of the time or more - I'll just check vPanel/Devices when I start up the softphone and change the server if I need to.

Thanks.

tritch
02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
It would be wise to do that. Last time somebody had 2 different devices registered to 2 different servers, it caused a major loopback issue that subsequently affected other Voipo customers.

http://forums.voipo.com/showthread.php?t=1418&highlight=xponder1

However, I'm surprised you were able to register both devices to different servers since Tim indicated in the thread that security measures were put in place to prevent this from happening again.

Unless there's still a problem with latency on East, I suppose you should have been automatically moved back over.

Russell
02-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Just tried it for real. Wife has a softphone on a laptop in a hotel in DC. I'm at home. Launched X-Lite and made a call. Her softphone rang; the home phone did not :-(. And, yes, I'm using the vPanel info for the softphone.

VOIPoBrandon
02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Just tried it for real. Wife has a softphone on a laptop in a hotel in DC. I'm at home. Launched X-Lite and made a call. Her softphone rang; the home phone did not :-(. And, yes, I'm using the vPanel info for the softphone.

Russell,

Looking for some clarification.

VOIPo ATA [home]

VOIPo Account (Softphone) [home]

[ROUTER]

->

[Wife (VOIPo Account ?)] -> [Softphone]

Is she on the same account you are calling from? Also does the home phone ring when she initiates the call outside of the network? Also, if you could PM me a Call-ID of this call, thanks!

Russell
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Russell,

Looking for some clarification.

VOIPo ATA [home]

VOIPo Account (Softphone) [home]

[ROUTER]

->

[Wife (VOIPo Account ?)] -> [Softphone]

Is she on the same account you are calling from? Also does the home phone ring when she initiates the call outside of the network? Also, if you could PM me a Call-ID of this call, thanks!

Not quite that complicated Brandon:

VOIPo ATA [home]

Wife (VOIPo Account - Softphone) in a hotel.

Call made from outside of home and hotel (call made from my work number) at 12:28 Eastern according to logs (1007379586_12267242@192.168.37.76).

Just her softphone rang. I'm at home and the home phone did not ring. This was the model we had at ViaTalk - last one registering "wins". When I posted some days back I was configuring her laptop at home and so both devices were behind the same router - that's when Tim mentioned if both are behind the same router not to expect both to ring. Right now (to state the obvious) the ATA is at home and the softphone in DC.

Russell
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM
Curious if you got to research this (ATA and softphone not both ringing), Brandon?

VOIPoBrandon
02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Some how I over looked this response, let me take a look and I will let you know my findings, thanks!

VOIPoBrandon
02-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Curious if you got to research this (ATA and softphone not both ringing), Brandon?

I've looked at Call-ID: 1007379586_12267242@192.168.37.76

I do not see simultaneous ring being enabled for this call in the logs at all.

Is there any chance you did not have it enabled at this time of this call? Thanks!
________
VIDEO REVIEWS (http://videoreviews.org)

Russell
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
I've looked at Call-ID: 1007379586_12267242@192.168.37.76

I do not see simultaneous ring being enabled for this call in the logs at all.

Is there any chance you did not have it enabled at this time of this call? Thanks!
Brandon,

I'm confused. Both the softphone and ATA are using the same credentials. According to Tim both "devices" should ring provided they're not behind the same router - which in my case they were not.

I thought sim ring was when you wanted two different numbers to ring at the same time - in my case both devices are using my VOIPo primary number.

Hope this clarifies things.