PDA

View Full Version : Busy signal upon pickup

jlachowin
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Been having this on going issue where sometimes we get a busy signal up answering. Linksys phone adapter, behind a Asus WL-520 router, have the proper ports forwarded, even had VOIPO support take a look at my router settings.

Anyone else have this issue and were able to fix? My wife just called from her cell phone (AT&T) 3 times in a row, every time I picked it up it was a busy signal. If I don't fix this within the next week, I will have to look at another provider unfortunately.

Thanks for any assistance, Justin

voipinit
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
It sounds like it's a router issue, there are a number of settings in the router that can cause that. Continue to work with Voipo support and make sure they know you are still having issues.

VOIPoTim
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure how router savvy you are, but if you are, please try expanding the forwarding range to 5004-65000 and see if that resolves it.

The audio does not go through the VOIPo network 99% of the time and is a direct connection between your adapter and the underlying carriers delivering the call and in some cases we've seen recently, audio was sent on a lower port than 35000 (this is something new) and opening the entire range fixed it for the few examples I've seen. The port is different for each call and this is why it can appear sporadic (letting some ports through but then another call uses a different one that it blocks).

Also if the router has a SIP ALG setting, that should be disabled.

burris
02-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I have the same ASUS router and same hook-up and don't have any ports forwarded...Important to disable SIP ALG.

I now have WRT on my router, but even with the default software, I never had this problem.

jlachowin
02-14-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm using the latest Tomato firmware, and it doesn't have an option to disable SIP, I will look into flashing it to DD-WRT.

usa2k
02-14-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm using the latest Tomato firmware, and it doesn't have an option to disable SIP, I will look into flashing it to DD-WRT.

I am using Tomato 1.23 on a WRP54GL without forwarding or issues.
Device is a PAP2T here.
My Modem is an Ambit supplied by Comcast.

What ISP and Modem are you using?

No insightful answer, just looking at the evidence ...

It sounds like the phone rings when your wife calls from her cell?
But when you pick up, you hear a busy signal?

usa2k
02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Have you been able to test without the router in place?
(Such a test would be an extreme sacrifice for me! :))

VOIPoTim
02-14-2010, 03:36 PM

Yes, definitely look at Tomoato --> DD-WRT. We see a TON of problems with Tomato for some reason and I there have been at least a dozen people who made the switch and have their issues go away.

jlachowin
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I am using Tomato 1.23 on a WRP54GL without forwarding or issues.
Device is a PAP2T here.
My Modem is an Ambit supplied by Comcast.

What ISP and Modem are you using?

No insightful answer, just looking at the evidence ...

It sounds like the phone rings when your wife calls from her cell?
But when you pick up, you hear a busy signal?

I'm on AT&T Elite DSL (dry loop) with a Motorola DSL modem. When she calls, the phone rings like normal, with Caller ID info, I pick it up and get a busy signal.

usa2k
02-14-2010, 05:22 PM
DD-WRT might be worth trying.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
I see three types WL520G, WL520GC, WL520GU.

A lot of people claim DD-WRT is more consistent.
I've not tried it because if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Only problem post I see people having were old threads.
Looks like there is Elite DSL and U-Verse Elite DSL out there.

jlachowin
02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Alright, I made the switch from Tomato to DD-WRT just now. Had a HELL of a time getting the Asus WL-520GU with DD-WRT to recognize or initiate my PPPoE connection with my AT&T DSL connection. I had to reset the DSL modem twice for it to finally stabilize.

I sure hope this is the answer, I really could care less what firmware I use on my router as long as it's stable and it has DDNS. I disabled SPI and forwarded the familiar VOIPo Ports.

usa2k
02-15-2010, 09:37 PM
You running something that needs DDNS?

Wishing the best of success!

burris
02-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Alright, I made the switch from Tomato to DD-WRT just now. Had a HELL of a time getting the Asus WL-520GU with DD-WRT to recognize or initiate my PPPoE connection with my AT&T DSL connection. I had to reset the DSL modem twice for it to finally stabilize.

I sure hope this is the answer, I really could care less what firmware I use on my router as long as it's stable and it has DDNS. I disabled SPI and forwarded the familiar VOIPo Ports.
I mentioned that I have the GU as well as the GC and DD-WRT installed easily on both boxes.
I use Open DNS and that seems to run smoothly. I use ATT DSL and a dry loop as well.

If you still have a problem, I would be happy to share my settings...PM me.

Be sure that NAT keep alive is enabled in your ATA. I also discovered that I seem to run more smoothly when STUN is turned off. If you don't have access to your ATA, call support and they will gladly do these settings for you to try.

Good luck....

voipinit
02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't have the same router, but in my ATA I have to keep NAT traversal (STUN) enabled or I get one way audio.

patoka
02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
>>or I get one way audio.
If it's outbound, that could be a selling point for mother in law calls.....

jlachowin
02-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Another update. Today, on 2 separate occasions the lights for line 1 and line 2 on the phone adapter were not lit. I had to power cycle the RT31P2 to regain service. I submitted a support ticket, I think I have a bum phone adapter, nothing but problems.

holmes4
02-17-2010, 07:03 PM
I had the same issue (needed to power cycle RTP312) when I had the adapter between my ISP service and my router. This would happen about once a day - and of course this also killed my Internet access. I since moved the adapter "behind" my router and haven't had the trouble since. This is what support recommended.

It's too bad, really, as I wanted the adapter connected directly to my ISP, but I can live with it.

jlachowin
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM
The phone adapter is behind my router.

usa2k
02-17-2010, 08:36 PM
The phone adapter is behind my router.
And DD-WRT now, right?

jlachowin
02-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Yep, DD-WRT on an Asus WL-520GU. I just had to reboot the phone adapter again, they will need to replace it I'm assuming.