PDA

View Full Version : Average ETA on number port from Vonage??

mforward
02-20-2010, 08:46 AM
I just signed up for VOIPo yesterday from Vonage! I've had Vonage for 5 years and while I was satisfied with them, I just couldn't pass up the cost savings for VOIPO :)

I am curious to know what has been the average time it has taken for Vonage to give up their number to VOIPO for porting. Are there any ex-Vonagers out there who brought their number with them that can share their number porting experience?

tylerscell1
02-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Anywhere from 7-72 days (I think I may be wrong)

usa2k
02-20-2010, 09:57 AM
If Lingo to VOIPo averages 10 days now ... Vonage should be painless
http://forums.voipo.com/showpost.php?p=15708&postcount=2

Lingo usually isn't an issue and is in the typical timeframe of about 10 days.

Voicepulse is just a special case.

holmes4
02-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I just went through this with Vonage. My port was confirmed within a day of submission and the port date was less than two weeks away.

MisterEd
02-20-2010, 11:27 AM
The good news:
My 2 Vonage lines took 9 days from when I submitted it to Voipo until it was completed. I understand it's even quicker now.

The bad news:
My $39.95 per line cancellation fee from Vonage was even quicker! (Which I disputed through my AMEX card and received an immediate refund from Amex).

SingleBbl
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
The bad news:
My $39.95 per line cancellation fee from Vonage was even quicker! (Which I disputed through my AMEX card and received an immediate refund from Amex).

I too am porting over from Vonage after 5 years. Their service has been excellent for me and provided big savings over AT&T land lines. But, likewise for me, the cost savings with VOIPo is too good to pass up.

According to the Vonage "chapter & verse" you should only get hit with the cancellation fee if you've been with them for less than a year.

I'm wondering if I'll still have access to the Vonage dashboard after the port?

And if the Vonage Linksys box has any value?

tylerscell1
02-22-2010, 03:11 PM
The box would have value maybe $20-$30 on ebay. Try to reset/unlock it you could probly do it easily. I know its not hard to do.

fisamo
02-22-2010, 08:01 PM
It's been quite a while since I had Vonage, but...

Unlocking your box may not be so easy. If you want to try, do a google search for your ATA's model and 'unlock'. If you are unable to unlock it, it won't have any value on eBay. From what I've seen the $20-30 value is for an unlocked (used) unit.

MisterEd
02-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I too am porting over from Vonage after 5 years. Their service has been excellent for me and provided big savings over AT&T land lines. But, likewise for me, the cost savings with VOIPo is too good to pass up.

According to the Vonage "chapter & verse" you should only get hit with the cancellation fee if you've been with them for less than a year.

I'm wondering if I'll still have access to the Vonage dashboard after the port?

And if the Vonage Linksys box has any value?

Yes, after 5 years there is no fee. In my case it was 2 years and I left after a year. Now it is back to 1 year. You'll have access to only your billing for a while. The box is useless unless it was one of the router models, then it could still be a router. If you sell it they won't activate it for the person you sell it to so don't even bother unless the buyer is aware.

mforward
02-23-2010, 12:24 PM
FYI - I received my ATA yesterday and hooked it up with ease :) Clear call quality, good features (I really like the contacts and customer caller-ID features) and easy setup. Now I'm just waiting for my number to port, which hopefully won't be long.

FYI - It appears the any incoming with the same area code appear as only 7 digits. Is there a setting on the vpanel to change the display to 10 digits for all calls?

VOIPoTim
02-23-2010, 12:38 PM
FYI - It appears the any incoming with the same area code appear as only 7 digits. Is there a setting on the vpanel to change the display to 10 digits for all calls?

We actually send 10 digits on all calls. Is there a setting on the phone for it that may be doing it?

mforward
02-23-2010, 12:50 PM
There just might be Tim. I'll check my phone and see if it is a physical setting. Thanks.

mforward
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
It was indeed a phone setting I had to adjust to show 10 digits. Thanks for that heads up Tim.

kim18
03-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Vonage took their sweet time with mine. About 10 days. Then they will only cancel with a phone call where some rep (sounded Indian) asked at least 3 times if I wanted to hold off canceling, just to make sure I was happy.

holmes4
03-02-2010, 07:55 PM
10 days is a heck of a lot shorter than the last time I did a port. My port from Vonage finalized yesterday and I called today to cancel. Same song and dance, but I made it clear that their service was unusable for me, so even if it was free I didn't want it. I could tell that her heart wasn't really in it, but she had to go through the motions. "Use it as a backup line.." Hello! People couldn't hear me (and I couldn't hear them!

Proud to be Vonage-free today.

Mike V
03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I noticed that my Vonage bill lacks the phone number of my account. I just faxed over the change request form to VOIPo with my most recent Vonage bill. Will the lack of a phone number on the bill delay the porting process?

holmes4
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I used a copy of the "Account" page from Vonage, which included my number, my account number and my address. It was accepted. I don't know what you mean by "bill" as I never got an explicit bill from Vonage.

Mike V
03-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks Steve. I clicked the Billing tab on the Vonage portal, then a printable version of my most recent invoice. But it only shows my account number and billed amount, not my existing number.

holmes4
03-06-2010, 07:16 AM
I said Account page, not Billing.

Mike V
03-06-2010, 06:02 PM
I had already submitted the transfer paperwork at the time of my post yesterday. I received an acknowledgment from VOIPo that the transfer started. So I'll see if that information was adequate from the Billing page ;). I had tried to change my contact info on the Account page (my address was out of date), but Vonage kept popping up a new Terms of Service to acknowledge if I did that.

holmes4
03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
If the transfer was accepted, your paperwork was sufficient.

Mike V
03-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Cool! Also got confirmation that my ATA shipped. Thanks for the information.

holmes4
03-06-2010, 07:52 PM
You're welcome. I hope you are as happy with the change to Voipo as I am.

mforward
03-08-2010, 02:20 PM
My transfer was completed on 3/5/2010! Two weeks, not bad. Thanks Voipo!!

Mike V
03-24-2010, 02:26 PM
As a quick follow-up to this, my transfer went through right on schedule. Vonage left me a voicemail after the number with nothing on it (7324444661) then sent an email confirming a cancellation a couple hours later. This despite the fact I didn't call them, which is great. I've heard cancelling them is a pain sometimes.

MisterEd
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
As a quick follow-up to this, my transfer went through right on schedule. Vonage left me a voicemail after the number with nothing on it (7324444661) then sent an email confirming a cancellation a couple hours later. This despite the fact I didn't call them, which is great. I've heard cancelling them is a pain sometimes.

Strongly suggest you check your Vonage account and make sure it shows cancelled or call them to confirm even though you got that messsage. I got that message for both of my lines but was still charged for the following month along with cancellation fees which I promptly disputed with Amex and got a credit issued.

The "empty voicemail" you got was from their test call number to verify the port was complete.

Mike V
03-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Interesting. In the Vonage portal it shows "Account Status: Disconnected"

MisterEd
03-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Interesting. In the Vonage portal it shows "Account Status: Disconnected" Then you're good to go. :)

holmes4
03-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Yep - that's what mine said too as soon as I canceled the account.

mforward
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
My second line was successfully ported from Vonage to Voipo in 3/24! When I called Vonage to have them disconnect the line on their end, they offered to lower my monthly rate in half to keep me. Where was this loyal customer treatment the past 5 years??? Oh well, I'm 100% Voipo now and loving it so far.

energyx
03-26-2010, 04:30 PM
When I called Vonage to have them disconnect the line on their end, they offered to lower my monthly rate in half to keep me. Where was this loyal customer treatment the past 5 years???

Just like the cable company. "Oh, you want to cancel? We can match that competitor price after all!" Total BS.

MisterEd
03-26-2010, 09:10 PM
My second line was successfully ported from Vonage to Voipo in 3/24! When I called Vonage to have them disconnect the line on their end, they offered to lower my monthly rate in half to keep me. Where was this loyal customer treatment the past 5 years??? Oh well, I'm 100% Voipo now and loving it so far.

If they gave all their existing "loyal" customers a 1/2 price deal they would be out of business. The purpose of promotions are to lure in new customers and keep those that are leaving (churn) down. In theory I agree with you but as a general business practice it's not good for the bottom line. Obviously you weren't very "loyal" because you left. :) Had you called them and told them you were going to cancel they would have probably offered you a deal. (I spent some time working in many of their departments a few years ago - retention aka account management was the worst).